Baiting Illegal!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by maxcam, Aug 25, 2006.

1. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    Dr. James Kroll?

2. fusion308

fusion308 8 pointer

Nov 23, 2005
    100000 turkeys crowded up in a building.....
    like this........
    no wonder they all died..............

Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  3. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    Its no secret that the reasoning for this new proposal is for ENFORCEMENT. The game wardens explicitly asked for it on these grounds alone.
    Enforcement issues alone do NOT satisfy the "reasonable harm" to wildlife.
    While it would definetly help the conservation officers in their enforcement struggles, by law that is not enough of a reason.
    "Reasonable " harm must be shown, and I don't see how they can prove that.

1. No data to show that baiting has EVER negatively affected wildlife in Ky.
    2. These aflatoxins are supposed to be more active in hotter months, yet March, April and May are included but Aug and Sept are not.
    3. As you mentioned, hunters and wildlife watchers contribute a fraction of what farmers put out.

I think that just like last time, this becomes an unenforceable law for the conservation officers.

4. bstickin1

bstickin1 6 pointer

Jul 1, 2005
    Rocky Hill, Kentucky
    I have a question. Since no baiting will be allowed does that mean if bait is found on someones property they will get a ticket or will they still have to catch someone hunting around it:confused: if it is bait found, ticket issued to landowner won`t that leave landowners wide open to be set up by anyone they might have denied permission to or anyone they might have pissed off at some time?? If that is how it`s going to work I can imagine some innocent people being ticketed for something they don`t know anything at all about.
    One more question. Is there any documented cases of turkeys in the wild having a die off from aflatoxins?

5. rick243

rick243 10 pointer

Oct 16, 2005
    SouthEast Ky
    baiting

In our part of the state it's not extremely rare for someone to find a dead human on remote properties, in addition to the pot fields. I have yet to see a landowner get a ticket for murder unless there was strong evidence he did it. There are so many owners that live away and only get out to see their property once a year, if that, and then only drive around a bit to make sure their coal hasn't been mined or timber stolen.
    I just can't see them make this law stick in court. There has to be a better way to help the CO's and Turkey flocks.

I put corn out in front of my cameras to get pictures of deer. Only 50 lbs at a time and never "piled up 3 ft deep". I never tried it but I would think it would take at least 500 lbs to get a 3' deep pile. People don't do that, do they? I don't hunt over it and have never taken a deer near a bait pile. If this is going to be the law I will abide and find another way to draw them in. I do believe we should follow the advice to "find solutions" rather than fuss about it on here.

BTW, speaking about diseases in deer, there are a bunch of us trailcammers across the nation participating in a survey to help biologists determine how often deer consume the gut piles of other deer. (Yes, they do). After you take a deer you set up a camera at the guts and keep a log to turn in along with the pics after the guts are consumed. The concern is that this habit could be a real disease spreader. So get ready to get a ticket if you don't bury your gut piles. Or I guess the landowner who didn't even shoot the deer would get the ticket? :confused:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  6. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    Baiting/feeding will be prohibited completely within the next few years. Once CWD is pos ID'd they will ban it the next day. Personally, I think it's already here, just not ID'd yet. Enjoy today, for it's actually " The Good Ole Days"

7. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    Definitions

Reactive: tending to react to events and situations rather than initiating or instigating them.

Proactive: controlling a situation by causing something to happen rather than waiting to respond
    to it after it happens.

8. CM12

CM12 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2004
    Knott Co.

Yea we could do that and it would all be fine until someone put their eye out with a pencil.
    [​IMG]

Common sense knows how the term arch applies to the term archery.
    Arch:
    Verb,
    1. To bend backwards
    2. To form an arch or archlike curve

I'm not here to make enemy's, I don't need the internet for that.;)
    And this has nothing to do with baiting.

34 pages and counting.

9. Dalebow

Dalebow 6 pointer

Dec 19, 2004
    Taylorsville, Ky
    So you won't be able to grow a food plot because you can't bait before Aug 1st, does that mean food plots are not baiting??

10. kyblackmallard

kyblackmallard 10 pointer

Sep 18, 2006
    Baiting

Folks,any law that you allow to be put on the books that hinders or changes current game laws is one step closer to the house.I mean we can ethic our butts to the house permanent if we are not careful.Do I hate poachers d**n right I do.Do I believe in canned or high fence hunting no I don't.I dont bait turkeys,but I do put out salt,minerals,and corn for deer because it's legal and I don't have 300 acres to hunt on.Please be careful when you say ban away and let those that don't hunt anyway choose how you want to hunt...

11. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    No. Food plots are not baiting.

12. bcdh1

bcdh1 12 pointer

Feb 1, 2006
    What about doing it where turkeys do not exist during that time?