Baiting Illegal!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by maxcam, Aug 25, 2006.

1. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    HUH?? Whatcha smoking? :D

What did you just say there???

From what I remember YOU spent a great deal of time in Frankfort,(in fact posted that very thing in the CB forum, as I recall) trying to reverse the expansion.........NOW you say you were for it?? Interesting, .......

2. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.

Ace, they already knew they had CWD when they stopped the bait sites. The number of cases per year has rose each of those years, but it has not spread outside of the infected counties. So, you decide if ending the baiting worked or not? but most of the experts seem to think it does and is needed.

3. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.

I guess that the words you worked for an expanded season is kind of misleading. I didn't see any real offers of a comprise from you at any time. All that doesn't matter with this debate though.

Where does UBK stand on this one???

4. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    I wasn't being a "S-A", I was really curious about it btw..:)

I don't know if I can make any decisions based upon that info, though, how do we know it would have spread out of the counties had baiting been allowed? I don't think we could know that, I will agree it's better to be "safe" than "sorry" when it comes to our game, and it's management.....

What did they say about food plots?? Legal or not? Is there any thinking that they may also spread disease?

Illinois has some huge farms , I'd think that baiting and even feeding wouldn't concentrate a great many deer in most parts of the state, it seems from the info given though I'd be incorrect on that.....

I'm not against the ban in principle, it's the dates/reasons given that are "hard to swallow", IF there is any real and legitimate reasons for it, fine, but if there is, I'd think they'd just ban it all out??? This matter seems very confusing and controversial, and not much that I've been able to find "clears it up", as for the "whys" of what was done, much less the "how comes" on the dates etc....

Seems to me, IF mold IS such a serious risk to the flocks, they'd kept August(the hottest month), I'd think the flock's health would be a greater factor than people putting out bait during squack season???? So , in short, though the idea may have some actual merit, and could be a "good thing", the way it was done, the dates proposed don't seem to address the very issues this was supposed to be passed for (especially the fact the Fall flock has NO real protection from this change)?????????

I seriously "don't get it", not at all....IF it's good , then let's do it "right", IF it's really needed.......the way it is, "half A$$ at best", I can't see how it helps????

5. LoweBow

LoweBow 8 pointer

Jan 10, 2003
    Shelby Co.
    Where's UCBK stand?

6. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    deadaim....... like I stated .."its just my opinion" and I respect yours but not everyone will agree to either one of us. I will also add.....that yes ...I'm fortunate to have land that we own to hunt .... but its nowhere near 500 acres. For the record its about 287 acres with only 10 acres of tendable ground and about 25 acres in a forestry program with 8000 hardwoods planted.....the rest is existing timber. So......I think I know a little about hunting the woods.

I also will say again....... over the years I've done everything possible to attract wildlife ....including feeders & shelled corn.... so I can very well relate. However... I just dont feel as hunters that we must rely on bait to kill a deer. I think were better hunters than that and can addapt and utilize other means. A ban on all feeding would also provide a level playing field for all hunters as compared to those with smaller tracts vs. the guys with more financial means to feed and plant.

As far as addapting in timber areas....... select cut and open areas to sunlight to promote natural forage. Old logging roads or clear cuts can be utilized as food plots. Set aside a portion .....especially bedding areas...as santuary and dont hunt or disturb these areas. Fertilize selected white oaks and any honeysuckle thickets. Promote mast and growth of what you already have. If I had a choice of hunting a field or hunting the timber....the woods would win every time.

7. kevhunter

kevhunter Banned

Sep 16, 2004

8. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    I'm pretty sure I said "likely" :)

I'd just hate to see anyone here risking it, they wanted it passed for a reason, I'd guess they intend to enforce it and would be strict in doing so....Most LEO don't ask for laws they don't intend to act upon???

Guess that's what I get for tying to help! :D

9. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Now thats one thing I can vouch for. If a LEO ask's for a law you can bet your behind he's gonna enforce it. A lot of its gonna depend on the LEO enforcing it. Not so far as enforcing it but to what degree they enforce it. You know that "letter of the law vs the spirit of the law" thing. Some officers will enforce to the letter of the law, some will look a little deeper and use a more common sense and courtasy type approach. I cans see this being used in a law like this one. Now with something like outright poaching your gonna get hit no matter the LEO.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2006
  10. kevhunter

kevhunter Banned

Sep 16, 2004
    You maybe right but with all of the people using corn(and Im not one)I really dont see the dept having the time or resources to make much of a difference.Its been going on to long and I would guess that most arent going to stop,they will just find ways to hide it better.I was just going on about the losing the bet part, no offense.Yes, you did say"likely"

11. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Multi,
    I can agree with this because of the amount of corn and soybeans produced in Illinois ex. one county produces almost 20% of all corn in the usa. Eliminating salt and mineral licks would follow in the line of reducing concentrations of deer in one area.

12. johnboy

johnboy 8 pointer

Nov 6, 2002
    They jack the price of a license up when they have a $39 million dollar surplus and you guys are totally fine with that..
    but they take away your ability to feed the birds you get all riled up

13. WBBP

WBBP 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Deadaim, I see the point you are making, but your logic regarding the guys that have plenty of land to hunt trying to get the little guys deer couldn't be further from the truth. You just about make this sound like a class war between hunters..........ie...little guys like baiting and big guys abhor baiting.

For me personally, this could not be further from the truth. First of all, I look at everbody the same and I don't care where or how much land they hunt on. I base my opposition to baiting solely on health and disease transmission potential. I think most of those against baiting feel the same way. I base my support of the new regulations regarding baiting solely on discussions I have had with the CO's. It speaks volumes to me when the CO's unanimously support a regaulation like this.

Like I said, I see your point, but do you really think guys that have plenty of land to hunt are really out to steal your deer and keep you beat down as a hunter? All in the name of baiting.......?

K

14. fusion308

fusion308 8 pointer

Nov 23, 2005
    According to the corn pile and survey post on who feeds corn and sup feeds,it looks like over 70% of hunters put out wildlife feed at a avg rate of 1-4 thousand lbs per year. THIS has got to have a impact upon wildlife if it is removed. Why does the KDFW want to eliminate this free resource,to catch a few turkey poachers............ REMEMBER THE OLD SAYING...
    DONT BITE THE HAND THAT FEEDS YOU.....

15. deadaim

deadaim 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Booger Hollar
    JD please explain

''A ban on all feeding would also provide a level playing field for all hunters as compared to those with smaller tracts vs. the guys with more financial means to feed and plant.''