Baiting Illegal!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by maxcam, Aug 25, 2006.

1. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    It's to try and keep people from hunting turkeys over bait and to help CO's enforce the law. The old bait and switch has been going on. Too many people claiming the bait was for deer and it was too hard to catch them in the act of hunting turkeys over it. Now, if there's corn on the ground, there's gonna be a ticket.

2. fusion308

fusion308 8 pointer

Nov 23, 2005
    Turkey season does not run from march to july ,does it ??????

3. im-back

im-back 10 pointer

Oct 8, 2005
    none ya county
    No it doesnt, so why not march 1st till the end of turkey season? any biologist or LEO have an anwser for that? Whats the reason to run it into july

4. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    NO and this part doesn't make any sense to me.........doe need the extra feed- nutrition for more/better milk production (I feed year round and have seen first hand how much it helps them.....MUCH bigger deer and the fawns are bigger and healthier as well).....

It was my understanding it was to be during Turkey season only,(which I support for obvious reasons, even though the laws already addressed it, to make it easier on the LEO to enforce and convict I see how THAT could have been "good"......) wonder what changed that (or who).....

BTW turkey hunting anywhere that bait could be found in the area (even off the land you're hunting) IS/was illegal already, NOT gonna help IMHO

I can only guess that some think that turkey are being killed out of season and over bait????? I noticed those who already break laws don't get too concerned with new ones being added?????

5. fullstrut1

fullstrut1 12 pointer

Oct 17, 2005
    Rineyville
    If you outlaw corn feeding only outlaws will have corn feeders !

6. fusion308

fusion308 8 pointer

Nov 23, 2005
    This new rule should only be in affect from march 1 till may 7 .This way, it does allow for people to help feed over populated deer herd and take the burden off of farmers crops . As you know most crops are planted early may. We do not need this rule from may 7 thru july 31. Someone needs to question this and get it right,if there are other reasons behind this ,lets hear them .

7. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    IF that happens look for Zone changes and more gun days to follow imho

8. Willie

Willie 12 pointer

May 10, 2003
    How do you call it "baiting" if it is from March 1st to July 31st?

It is against the law to bait for turkeys already and deer season isn't in.

This looks more like an anti-feeding regulation.

Cant disease be spread from August 1 to February 28th?

Makes no sense to me...

9. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    I agree 100% Willie!

10. LBL HUNTER

LBL HUNTER 6 pointer

Nov 2, 2004
    Marshall Co. Ky
    baiting

I know many, many, people who will blatentley ignore this rule come about the middle of june when the racks start getting big and its time for the trail cameras to come out. And to be perfectly honest.... I don't blame them. I can understand the whole turkey hunting issue though. But come on... during summer months??? This regulation just will not be abided by many people. And how many CO's do you see tromping through the woods during July??? Won't be many tickets written either.

11. fusion308

fusion308 8 pointer

Nov 23, 2005
    WHAT THE HELL ?? We have had no reported cases of CWD IN KY,KDFW done test on deer in most every county of ky last year. Also there have been few cases of bird flu in ky...... I as a hunter think that we and fishermen and just regular people who feed the animals ought to have a say in this.We foot the dam bill and supply the means of keeping these animals populated and regulated, DAM IT ALL !!!!!!!

12. Highbow

Highbow Cyber-Hunter

Dec 16, 2001
    Johnson County, Ky.
    It's just another CONTROL SITUATION, they want to show what they can do.
    Well I'll let them prove in court if that 's what it comes too. THERE IS NO PROOF that deer feeders spread CWD anymore than crossing the same oak tree to eat acorns. If I own the property they can't stop me from feeding birds, deer or otherwise. I'm opposed to it and always will be because I know of several that wouldn't be alive today if I had not been feeding them and suppling extra food for them.
    I don't have one single feeder in the woods right now but on my land it will be very hard to stop me from making food for the wildlife till further proof can be made to show harm and who pays the property taxes on my land.

13. im-back

im-back 10 pointer

Oct 8, 2005
    none ya county
    soon multi wont be the only wildlife violator :cool:

14. CM12

CM12 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2004
    Knott Co.
    More confusion is what I see. Why oh why not just ban it alltogether or let it be? Either stop all baiting for anything or allow it for everything. I don't care which but this policy of sometimes you can and sometimes you can't and be sure to stop 30 days prior to a full moon after the first frost except every other leap year is nonsense.

I realize that this is an attempt to make the CO's job easier. Laws will never force someone to be ethical. Either they are or they aren't.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2006
  15. maxcam

maxcam 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2005
    This reg was passed by the commission for two reasons.....

1.) The Wildlife Director reccommended it to reduce the chances of Alpha
    Toxin poisoning among the turkey flock......There is a chance that a
    bait pile can cause mold during hot months when it gets wet and then
    mold......There is a fungus that results that can lead to respiratory
    illness and death....

2.) The conservation officers wanted the current language cleaned up so
    that if there is bait on your property during turkey season they can
    automatically give you a fine and not have to catch you hunting
    during the spring turkey season over bait. They claimed feel like they
    are tied up to much staking out bait piles in order to catch a poacher
    and this will allow them to write a ticket and move on to other
    business.....There is a positive out of this as well...They are not in