Baiting Illegal!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by maxcam, Aug 25, 2006.

1. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    I think you've made some excellent points!

What I can't understand is these dates, they say they need this for 2 reasons, but then the dates don't match that, AND they don't do one single thing to protect the Fall turkey hunting???(from hunting over bait, since these changes do nothing for the fall season)????

I could live with this, I'm just not so convinced any of us should have to???
    I'd really like to understand HOW these dates help anything.......:(

2. LoweBow

LoweBow 8 pointer

Jan 10, 2003
    Shelby Co.
    Once again I'll post the KRS describing this.
    You can continue grouping me w/ all the guys that stood firm against crossbow expansion or look at all the evidence, apologise, and see that I worked for an expanded season long before you showed up.

301 KAR 2:172. Deer hunting seasons and requirements.

RELATES TO: KRS 150.010, 150.170, 150.175, 150.180, 150.340, 150.360, 150.370, 150.390, 150.395, 150.990
    STATUTORY AUTHORITY: 150.025(1)
    NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 150.025 grants the department authority to establish hunting seasons, bag limits, methods of taking and other matters necessary to carry out the purpose of KRS Chapter 150. This administrative regulation establishes deer hunting seasons, prescribes legal methods of taking and establishes tagging and checking requirements for deer hunting.

Section 1. Definitions. (1) "Adult" means an individual who is at least eighteen (18) years of age.
    (2) "Antlered deer" means a deer with a visible antler protruding above the hairline.
    (3) "Antlerless deer" means a deer with no visible antler protruding above the hairline, including female deer and male fawns (button bucks).
    (4) "Archery equipment" means a long bow, recurve bow or compound bow incapable of holding an arrow at full or partial draw without aid from the archer.
    (5) "Arrow" means the projectile fired from a bow or crossbow.
    (6) "Barbed broadhead" means a point or portion of a blade projecting backward from a broadhead designed to hold an arrow within an animal.
    (7) "Bonus antlerless permit" means a permit which, in conjunction with appropriate licenses and permits, seasons and methods, allows the holder to take two (2) additional antlerless deer.
    (8) "Crossbow" means a bow designed or fitted with a device to hold an arrow at full or partial draw without aid from the archer.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2006
  3. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.

Planting anything is a normal farm practice and is not bait....ever. Sometimes, for certain game, you can't manipulate that field but that is a different subject.

Sometimes it's normal for farmers to NOT gather their crop, or what's left of the crop in bad years.

Bird feeders won't be targeted. We tried this a few years ago with people feeding geese and ducks and it went no where.

4. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    Especially doe harvests, some though WILL no doubt get made up by crop damage permits, just wait and see....

5. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    I guess I slept through your recommended season expansion? Can you just throw out what your recommendaton was?

6. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    Mike, let's not play "word games" the KDFWR does NOT publish a dictionary, those again ARE legal archery weapons for big game hunting IN KY (and nothing more)....AND I'll remeind you once again before some went to the politicians and had the expansion repealed......... the part whre it says "incapable of holding the bow at full or partial draw without aid from the archer" WAS REMOVED to make the cb LEGAL ARCHERY weapon....I showed you that REG change (with the link) at the time, so I KNOW you know that (was posted right here in these forums in fact) :)

I won't get into what you "fought for",(or didn't) what's "done" is done, time to move on from there imho

7. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    Me too! I wonder if Terry (Daking) did as well? Being on the crossbow advisory panel, it would be nice to see IF he's aware of any of this? :D

Yes Mike PLEASE let us ALL know about it.....

8. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    States that have gone before us and eliminated baiting and or feeding did not suffer from a reduced harvest because of it. Illinois did it when they found CWD and their harvest actually increased the first year......the end of baiting had no effect that could be seen, and it included salt and mineral licks.

9. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY

I don't know either, but I think some get "scared" much too easily on these matters.........think about most of this has gone on for centuries, and somehow the animals,birds etc. survived no problems (well until the "great depression" when there was NO meat to have and some were hunted to the brink of extintion or beyond even)...but that had nothing to do with mold, or bird flu , or West Nile, etc.etc.etc.

Some things could be some real danger..........could be....might be......might not be......seems that IF you ask ten people you'll get 8 different answers to most of this, that is not "good enough" imho to cause "alarm" in the ranks of hunters or to change too much too fast , not knowing it's actually for the good of all.........just my $.02

10. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    Unlimited baiting and poaching of turkeys at will by archers???? Baiting for turkeys is a big problem in the fall?

It's interesting to see people's perspectives on the various issues. Some people wanted a full xbow expansion under the premise that it added an extra "opportunity" to increase participation. Others, including myself, claimed that the "opportunity" already exists in the form of vertical bows and leaned towards a slower course.

Next was high fences. Extra-Opportunity or Blemish on the Sport? Disease centers or propaganda?

Now, we've got baiting. Some people who were for xbows are against baiting, and some people who were against xbows are for baiting. A good argument can be made that baiting provides additional "opportunity" for small land hunters and others that don't know how to (or want to) scout. KDFWR wants people to shoot more does. Now, they're passing regulations that arguably will make it more difficult for people to harvest deer. Go figure.

JD - I think you're spot on with your argument about hunters being unwilling or unable to "adapt". It's hard for people to break long standing traditions under any circumstances, and people that have limited hunting spaces certainly fall into the category of strained circumstances. People tend to want to maintain the status quo when things are going well, I guess under the adage "don't fix it if it ain't broken".

Are there any studies that KDFWR specifically looked at in reaching its conclusions that baiting endangers the health of the herd by increasing the potential for disease transmission? Theoretical conjecture by game biologists is one thing, but actual proof is quite another. Have any herds of deer ever been decimated by CWD or any other food-borne diseases?

If they ban baiting, I sincerely hope two things don't come to pass: loss of hunters who simply stop hunting b/c of increased restrictions and decreased deer harvests.

11. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY

Question:

Were there any positive effects shown or proven by them stopping these practices???

IF in fact it would give US all some "insurance" against CWD,(OR any serious outbreaks of disease for that matter) I'd be for banning all baiting/feeding (not minerals , salt and food plots to be clear though) problem IS that's a "mighty big IF" there...I've seen no conclusive proof to date that ANYONE knows much about CWD, even Wisconsin killed all those deer to find IIRC .07% had the disease, obviously they must have been pretty certain it was much worse to do what they did, but in the "end" they were wrong it seems??

IF then it's shown that salt and minerals should be banned, I'd "entertain" that thought as well.........though I'd find it hard to imagine the risks would "outweigh" the benefits, could be they in fact do???

12. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    Ace, you're correct, KDFWR ONLY excluded xbows from the definition of "legal archery". From this time forward and to dispel your concerns, I suggest that we all simply refer to xbows as "illegal archery equipment" in the future. [​IMG]

13. LoweBow

LoweBow 8 pointer

Jan 10, 2003
    Shelby Co.
    I guess you did.

All you had to do was show up to one UBK meeting or read my reports in the Kentucky Bowhunter magazine.
    What I did for my constituents (UBK members) is and was never my exact beliefs and thats never been hidden. same diatribe.

14. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY

I don't know If that is accurate or not, but say one has corn out FOR DEER , and turkeys show up, how many wouldn't want to shoot,(we'll use archery hunters since they'd need to get the deer in closer).... especially IF they have an unused tag ??? (not many here would again I know that) :)

I'd guess that temptation should be removed?? That certainly makes much more sense than the June/July ban??????

15. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    NO need in doing that, they have a much longer season now, and once most find out the bs that was used to keep them out, I'd suspect they'll be legal season long, sooner rather than later! :D

AND YOU"RE leaving out the fact that they were included in the legal definition of legal archery until some certain people(yourself included) lobbied to have that changed to what it is now again.......so in short what is now wasn't the way it was intended, thus to use that information (and only partial information at that) to say what is or isn't archery is absurd especially since the Reg was changed to include them, then some managed to have it changed back.... Nice try , but won't "fly", most of us know what it was, what it became, and what it was changed back to (and why)......

I'd guess the Regs will change again though, so then it won't matter even though it really doesn't now.....considering