Baiting Illegal!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by maxcam, Aug 25, 2006.

1. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY

Please allow me to "clarify", I was "messing" with Kalen thinking he made a "typo" (as the post clearly says) , then I went on to say the amount he posted I feed in corn alone (not counting high protein feeds with trace minerals) just to be clear..... :)

I was NOT saying I feed 1,000 lbs per week! (there aren't enough deer, rabbits etc. here to eat it IF I was that foolish fwiw) :)

I've planted milo for several years for the quail, for those who don't know, my late uncle and myself played a role in bringing the quail back to this whole area, from the time I was about 13 (I'm now 43) and I became VERY active at the age of 16...in fact My wife (we were married in 1982) enjoyed turning dozens of quail eggs for some years (post about that in the small game forum for those who may have missed it) the "gist" of that is: She got the reality of what I"m "all about" on all of this real quick and would tell any of you face to face, I am serious about every single word I post whether , deer, turkey,crossobw or quail, grouse etc.NOW I may not make every meeting in Frankfort (but I've made several in years past fwiw)........NEVER because I'd not like to be there fwiw.......

I don't doubt that this is "news" to some who think I'm a "one issue" type of guy, because lately that's what was seen, but I can assure everyone that is not the case nor close to it in fact...

BTW, I don't dove hunt, but have been known to put out some sunflowers for the doves as well, the deer like those too fwiw :D(not saying any one season I might, just that I don't now)

I am a "bit concerned" IF we take these type measures, what is to stop us all from being able to even plant food plots(whether milo, clover, winter wheat etc.???)........To some that IS "baiting" just as a corn pile is.......

I think WE all need to consider all things before we agree to anything......again though that is "just me". :)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  2. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    Deer do not need artificial feeding in KY, our winters are plenty mild and our rainfall and good soils produce plenty of forage. Artificially increasing carrying capacity above what the land should support only causes habitat issues for all wildlife.

Feeders are put out to keep deer concentrated, period, it's not helping the deer.

Timber harvesting to increase browse is the best management practice for deer in many areas, acorns are not nearly as important as browse. Corn is simply a carbohydrate, a high energy "candy".

3. maxcam

maxcam 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2005
    I tend to agree with you CSS....However when we have a year like we did in 2004 with total mast failure and a rather dry summer that didnt leave the farmers in a very giving mood to leave much in the ag fields I did notice deer eating the bark of trees. I would have to say that the deer that were "drawn" to my area were better served by all that I do to supplement their diet. I would also have to say that the turkey did as well.

I have read alot about this afla toxin and to be honest I am not that intimidated by it. There is no real data that I can find that indicates this is going to cause more than a few if any animals to die in a flock or herd if some contaminated feed is put out.

As far as communal feeding and causes of the spread of other communicable disease, I would have to say at this time, lets worry about that bridge when it gets here.

As to the charge of teaching kids to hunt Kalen.....I have worked with alot of kids in all sports.....I can tell you from experience, weither it be football or hunting, a kid will become more dedicated and work harder to be more successful if he has success immediately than if he struggles and doesnt succeed...... Children need something that holds their interest. Even I get bored sitting on a food plot that is void of animal activity. If you dont have critters of some sort coming by the blind or stand on a regular basis then you better be ready to end your hunt rather early......Nothing will discourage a child from a sport faster than being bored. I dont think we need to lose any child that wants to try hunting do you!

4. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    For a great part of our state, I'd likely agree, with all due respect, how much time have you spent in OUR area of the state?? :)

NOW you can tell me "forever" that it's in "my head" and in my neighbors heads the deer are not bigger and obviously healthy, IF you want to, I KNOW better, so it won't change anything........and I'm not saying that to be a "hard head", NO one can tell you what you've seen take place over several years isn't true NOW can they???

I've stated for YEARS (even before this topic, search for yourself) that the deer here ARE bigger and healthier...........since I started doing this, could it be "by chance"?? And if so, please explain why ALL the deer in my county are so much smaller......... should be interesting.....

I honestly don't mean any disrespect, but A.) I have NO reason to "lie" about it, B.) am not the type of guy that would regardless, C.) I'd have hoped by now most would know all of that.....

When something works and IS this obvious, you don't change it, UNLESS you have to, IF I need to /have to, because of this I WILL>>>>>> no problem and I'll put out more plots, even though I feel the feeders where they are make a differnece........I'm willing to try it........but I see what is there, NOT what I want to see.........again, I'd save the money and time otherwise.....really simple

Everyone doesn't live in the Ag belt, HERE "supplemental feeding" WORKS.....and I don't really care who believes that or doesn't.........it won't change anything...........and since I don't break laws on purpose I won't keep doing what I know is working.........IF this remains in effect.........BUT don't even try to convince me what I've seen isn't true........when you have NO idea......

BTW your statement, "feeders are put out to concentrate deer, NOT to help the deer" is BS! HOW do you have the nerve to say that, when have we met??? I will say it again WE feed the wildlife FOR THEM, NOT for us..........period........how can you doubt that not even ever met me or my family???

Maybe it's true most (even) do that, that's NOT saying ALL now is it???

You are entitled to your opinoion, in this case though, concerning HERE you couldn't possibly more wrong.......in fact my youngest some time ago, asked me why he couldn't hunt one feeder......

I told him (and explained) that is NOT what they're there for , NOW he respects and understands that (at the time I don't think he did btw)

WE can NEVER "lump" anything or anyone into any "category" to do so can only weaken US......imho

5. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.

I don't agree with you here. In the last two or three years leading up to this change, the number of "known" bait piles being watched by ALL of the CO's has been less than 150 total statewide.

Any given day in the fall, they could use a good effort and find that many people hunting within the influence of a bait pile--and some of those people would have a turkey tag in their pocket, some wouldn't-but most would fling an arrow towards a turkey if they see one.

I agree with Valley Station, the problem is the fall archery season number one, Spring number two, fall gun last--only because of lack of interest.

The only viable solution is to ban it all or make it all legal.

6. Highbow

Highbow Cyber-Hunter

Dec 16, 2001
    Johnson County, Ky.
    MULTi's WAY or the HIGHWAY. As usual , I really could care less anymore and I will be posting less and less. A hunters experience has NO meaning or scientific standings no matter how many years he has hunted or worked a area compared to someone who might visit the area two times a year or was educated on deer in another state.
    Go ahead run more dedicated people away from the sport.

7. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    I have to wonder at this point, IF the world itself will stop spinning! :D

I actually agree with Doug on all of that!! :)

I "guess" people find me "funny:" because, I don't usually "fight" for what affects me directly but what may affect others who are less fortunate as I......guess I can understand that, after all it IS human nature to fight for YOU.........I just don't care so much about myself, I beleive I've been around enough to be able to do what I wish whatever comes.......knowing that I try to look at other's who's sitiuation may be different........CB's or Public land........NO matter the issue, I really do try to look at the average Joe (again no offense intended for those named Joe) :D

I spent too many years working over 100 hrs per week to have what I do now......so I realize that many can't do that.........and I care about each and every one of them! That is the truth btw.......

Those of you who live "out west" or "north" don't understand this area (for CB or most other things) I understand that, so I try my best to show everyone that things ARE different around here.....

Maybe FEEDING makes NO differenece where you are........I won't argue, it DOES HERE..........THAT I will argue, I've seen it myself , not for a year or two either, I'm smart enough to never express those results.......While many in my county are saying they hear no quail hardly ever, I heard them call as late as last week!!

I'm not the smartest guy here, don't even think that I am or will be, but I'm not "stupid" either......and I don't lie.........EVER

Don't know IF that means anything, but it is who I am, I've lived my life that way, and to be honest kinda proud of that fact!

IF baiting/feeding IS dangerous, convince me, I'll join the fight to end it, just don't say it's not going to help, I KNOW better.........at least here........fair enough???

8. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.

Same response as before Nathan.......:D

I support the ban of all baiting, but it's not my idea to put it out there. I know your the most knowledgeable hunter in the east, maybe the state, SO why do you even need to bait?

9. LoweBow

LoweBow 8 pointer

Jan 10, 2003
    Shelby Co.
    Multi's #'s are what they stated. aprox 150 identified and 82 ticketed.
    From what.....70,000 turkey hunters?

As much as some would like to make archers out to be the bad guys this just isn't the case as laid out by the CO's association. Fall turkeys are less influenced by the presents of "bait" due to the enormous amount of natural grains and mast. I tend to agree.

I hunt areas that sometimes may have 200 acres of cut corn just on that farm. What makes a pile of corn in the woods so special when birds can feed freely in an open field all day long? Will it atract birds? YES. Absolutely, but will it attract as many birds as a pile of corn will in March/April. NO w/out a doubt baiting is more effective at illegally harvesting of turkeys in the spring.

10. CM12

CM12 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2004
    Knott Co.
    I heard from a friend who heard from some guy that was talking to someone in the know that the fisheries dep. is considering a ban on using bait for fish, both live and artificial. Seems they're worried about the fish catching canker sores on their lips by congregating around baited hooks, and the fact that its just a lazy way to fish. Boy and some worried hunting without bait. Can you imagine sitting all day trying to get a fish to bite a bare hook?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  11. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    In regard to youth, whatever happen to starting them out squirrel and rabbit hunting? That is how most of us started because we did not have deer and turkey. We have good populations of deer and turkey now and special seasons just for the youth. Are they getting the "whole picture" of what is involved, woodmanship and sportsmanship, ethics, etc instead of lets just go out and kill something?

12. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.

HEre's how you do it, fish at night. Use a lantern over the side to draw the plankton up, won't be long the minnows will be up too. Jig a bare CHROME hook (treble works best) and you'll catch some. Works good on walleyes and crappies.

13. LoweBow

LoweBow 8 pointer

Jan 10, 2003
    Shelby Co.

Laugh it up, but you're not far from the truth. A no "chumming" rule was talked about for the Cumberland river not long ago. Hell maybe this went through I can't remember. A group wanted to make it illegal to chum w/ corn while trout fishing.

14. CM12

CM12 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2004
    Knott Co.

Sometimes all one can do is laugh. Whats wrong with laughter anyways? Unsportsmanlike?

15. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.

I disagree. I've seen turkeys choose corn feeders over corn on the stalk and standing beans on several occasions. Any officer that doesn't realize what's going on in the fall is plainly in denial. Not saying corn isn't an attractant in the Spring, because we know it is, but it is just the same in the Fall. Tons of violations out there starting next weekend just for the looking.