Baiting Illegal!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by maxcam, Aug 25, 2006.

1. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    YEP,before these NEW Regs that is correct!

NOW however, having it out IS the same as getting caught hunting over it!! (unless it's changed)... NOT only corn either, seeds, and pellet feed also.....

Hey come to think about it, apples have seeds too! :D Hmm. wonder IF that will cause any problems? (probably not, but at this point who knows?)

2. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY

LMAO!

So let me get this straight, WE are going to protect the turkey by doing this, BUT we're not going to do anything for the Fall Season (when most hunting them over bait is taking place, since calling isn't very "productive" then?):D

No I've not bought any Ohio Ocean front property lately either!

3. WBBP

WBBP 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Ace, good to know that you and your neighbors have increased the quality of the herd in Whitley county through supplemental feeding. Again, I am not disagreeing with the food plots, but I am disagreeing with with food from feeders having any noticeable impact.

Assuming you fed 4,000 lbs/yr from your feeders (over 1,000 lbs/week), that would equate to 11 lbs/day. That would be enough to impact about 5 does, and this assumes that the 5 does are getting all the food from the feeders, which at best they are only getting 75%, so really the food you are feeding from your feeders will impact 4 deer/yr the way you say they are being impacted.

Now assuming that you only have 4 does visting your feeders, I will agree with your conclusions. Looks like we can agree after all. :D

4. WBBP

WBBP 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    I disagree that mot bait hunting is taking place in the fall. Exactly the opposite, spring is the bigger issue by far and represents 80% of the kill.

5. Valley Station

Valley Station Cyber-Hunter

WBBP,
    What are you talking about??? , "....spring is the bigger issue by far and represents 80% of the kill."
    80% of the illegal turkey harvest?
    Corn piles during fall deer season, make it impossible to legally fall turkey hunt. What would be your guess on how many turkey are shot by fall deer hunters and not reported???

6. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    There is about 40 acres total of Ladino/Lespedesa and some Orchard grass here besides the feeders btw (again it's a matter of doing things together NOT just one or the other) (that's not counting some late Winter wheat btw)

Feel free to think I've "lost it", won't change what I've seen, I have worked hard enough, and long enough that IF it didn't I'd not complain (and would certainly stop doing the work and spending the $$$ ) :D

Does anyone actually think I'm that "not smart" to continue IF it wasn't very obvious??

Serious Question: IF baiting/feeding IS banned outright, year 'round, what do those who want to see that happen suggest for the youth/new hunters, to keep them interested, and make sure they actually see A DEER??? (otherwise I'm betting we lose many , maybe most of them in today's NOW envirornment)...
    I'm "all ears" for this ......seriously

I have little doubt the feeding helps, but I can always put out some more food plots (though some can't do that sadly I can), so I won't "lose" as much as some may, and YES that does concern me, though it doesn't directly affect me, and overall food plots are much less expensive (not counting time at least , clover has to be mowed fairly often here, NO biggie though)...

The only real problem for ME is, I can place feeders where I can't put a plot(or plots even) to give them a choice of where they feel safe, I can live with that though.....

Again, I'll give up FEEDING in a "heartbeat" IF it's a REAL danger to the resources, at present I don't think it is.....and IF it is; I doubt that it's any greater than what they deal with daily......

Guess I could be wrong though........convince me please :D

7. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    Exactly! I just don't "get this" at all....

8. WBBP

WBBP 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    I am basing it on my personal observations of the lack of turkey hunting in the fall. Most turkey hunters don't hunt in the fall, the telecheck numbers bear this out (even though they are skewed)

Bow hunters hunting over bait in the fall have an opportunity to kill turkeys over bait, but most are not skilled enougn t do it and the bow hunters I know are some of the most ethical hunters i have ever met.

That leaves the fall season when only 3,000 birds were killed in 2005 year as compared to the spring 2005 when 25,500 birds were killed. This equates to roughly 8% of the total birds being killed in the fall in 2005. I will agree that a higher percent of fall turkey hunters hunt over bait, but a higher percent of a low number doesn't equate to fall being teh problem IMO.

Spring baiting is the issue according to the CO's.

My guess on the fall turkey harvest that is not reported would be a couple of thousand. My guess on the spring turkey harvest not reported would be 8,000. BTW, some hunters still check them in even if they were killed over bait. JMO.

K

9. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY

Well, I "somewhat agree" with that!
    The "not reported" I'm not so certain about.......

Let's examine things shall we? :D

Someone is archery hunting,(for example NOT a "stab" at archery hunters OINLY they do need to get them closer btw)... they have "bait" out to help get deer into range, a Turkey shows up, (not planned even) How many would NOT shoot it?? I know most here wouldn't.......and that is NOT the point.......how many average Joes(no offense to anyone named Joe btw) wouldn't???

I'd have to "guess" that in the Spring MOST hunters WANT the challenge of calling in their bird, Fall season though is 100% different wouldn't most agree??? Please go ahead and try calling then (and I'm not a "real" turkey hunter btw, and I realize that fact):D

10. fullstrut1

fullstrut1 12 pointer

Oct 17, 2005
    Rineyville
    In legal terms a ticket is considered an arrest it is just not a physical arrest as taking someone to jail. There is NO differecne between Pot and grain if they make this a law, a law is a law regardless of what it pertains to and I am saying if they go around and cite everyone they find a corn pile on their property, the Dept. of Fish and Wildlife will not be able to afford their legal fees because of the lawsuits that will be filed.

11. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    Kalen, with all due respect (and to the CO's as well), that's very hard for me to swallow........ONE in the spring any bait and hunter IS busted (before this even) the fall season that is NOT the case ......."It's for deer" NOW they have a problem don't they??? :D

Also I'd like to believe(maybe that's "hope" on my part?) that in the Spring season MOST would want to call in their birds???

Not saying NO one "baits" in the spring, but that's "stupid" knowing IF caught around bait they're "busted" NOT true in the Fall, UNLESS they take a turkey NO law was broken, when it was in fact in the spring even without a "kill"....hard for *ME* to think that spring would be half the problem that fall would be FOR TURKEY..........NOW most Fall hunters ARE hunting deer (but some WILL take a bird even over bait???) at least that's how I think it might occur????

K, Spring IS Turkey hunting! No question most would be taken then, I just can't believe most are taken over bait (again hope on my part??).....I'd like to think as a group, we've not "sunk that low"??? On the other hand YOU (not you K actually) didn't take a spring bird at all, NOW you're deer hunting and one comes to the "bait".........what would many do then??

12. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Confused???

:confused: aceoky, You posted: 1,000 lbs per week would be 52,000 lbs per year :D PLUS I feed that much corn, and more high protein feed...

How much corn and high protein feed do you feed in a year? Total number of pounds.

Have you ever considered planting milo? Has the same enery level as corn and would benefit birds, turkeys, etc.

13. WBBP

WBBP 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    :D I am not going to try to convince you to agree.

As far as the youth hunters, how about some good old fashioned scouting where you look for sign, trails, rub lines, scrapes, tree ID. If no time for that, a food plot will work.

Of course, at my last January youth hunt (10 kids), most of the kids hunted over the most beautiful corn, oats, wheat, clover, and peas you have ever seen and some never even saw a deer.........during the whole youth weekend. The problem was that we had the massive acorn crop which still had the deer dispersed and most of my double deer stands were over fields, not in the woods.

Little Zach (have gun will travel's new son) never even saw a deer. He was so disappointed. Now he is hunting with Duster this youth weekend in October. Duster basically stole him from me..............:)

K

14. WBBP

WBBP 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    The CO's think the biggest problem is in the spring based on their recon work (fly/foot) and seeing all the bait piles in the Spring. I agree with them. They have reasons for what they asked for.

Talk with a CO and see what he thinks if you don't beleive me.

15. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    Really? I'm not "up on" the drug laws, but living where I do, I'm "bombaded" with stuff like this daily.......BTW IF not changed this WILL be LAW!

Example IS there NO difference in < 5 plants and > 5 plants......YES Felony comes into > 5 plants thus that is not correct now is it? :D

NOW why not "enlighten me" on what happens IF you have 4 pot plants......NOW you're caught with 10...what happens IF you get caught with some corn during this time period??? Still want to tell me it's the exact same thing??

IF YOU do, then I guess in your mind, my feeding wildlife IS the same as growing pot??? I however can easily see all the differences, including the legal ones.........and the penalties for each.........thanks though for trying....

OK I'm really being a "SA "here, point is, there WAS a time here, when you'd lose your land , and even your house BEFORE it was proven YOU were guilty of cultivation, I've seen it myself (NO not for ME) as I'd guess Rick 243 has , and many others too....NOW it's obvious that wasn't "right" nor "fair" but IT WAS the law for a time.........(think anyone got "even" with a neighbor by planting some and reporting it then? I'd bet they did!)

See these "open ended" laws affect us more than we may realize.......consider the real possibilities of them not needing to prove YOU did it, it's on your property.........AND it violates the law.........period NOW let's just say YOU really didn't put it out there.......YOU"LL have to miss work (and who knows how many days total) to "fight" this........might just be cheaper to pay????

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006