Baiting Illegal!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by maxcam, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Valley Station

Valley Station Cyber-Hunter

What has changed , other than, illegal to feed corn in June, July???
    In past, they fly and find corn ahead of spring season.
    Then come spring turkey season, the officers setup on likely bait site and catch the bad guy.
    There's no change. Right?? Have I missed something??
    If the ban is not in the fall, theyr'e not stopping any turkey poachin'.

2. CM12

CM12 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2004
    Knott Co.

Here's one, legalize all baiting or ban all baiting.

As far as CO's safety, well law enforcement is inherently dangerous. It comes with the job. I can't see staking a cornpile as being more dangerous than approaching a poacher. How will this make it safer?

Has anyone considered that this could affect the non-hunting public also. If it's illegal to have corn on your property then that means all property doesn't it, or does this strictly apply to hunters property? This will not be a popular move. Folks don't like these kind of regulations.

(Quote Multi): Now, they find a hunter and they find bait, it's a done deal. They will doucument bait sites before opening day, and work on finding the hunters or vehicles when the season starts. Let's hope it helps

Am I wrong or can't they already do that during spring turkey season? Aren't you supposed to pull your feeders a certain amount of time before season?

3. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY

Still (yet again) I have NO problem during any open Turkey season,(or even 30 days prior).... but this goes beyond that to the point of being outragious for those reasons doesn't it??
    Again, IF anyone is hunting any big game in June/July they're already in trouble bait or not......

IF it stays as is, we'll soon see, but I expect they'll have problems with those who they've not seen hunting who fight their tickets??? Plus those who feed during June/July and don't hunt anything over their feeders, what about that? Going to be hard to convict in my humble opinion for that???

I think this could be done in a better manner IF it's needed at all (for any "off season" that is).........I thnk there IS good cause to ban feed 30 days prior to and during Turkey season, other than that, though it's very debatable imho

4. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    ALL bait MUST be removed 30 days prior to Turkey season......(which is why I would support the 30 day prior to date) :)

As the regs already were, in fact IF you're Turkey hunting AND they find bait on adjoining property (even if you were not aware of it) they could still cite you......

5. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.

You could "feed" deer on a site and hunt turkeys outside of the zone of influence, assuming you have a sympathetic judge and/or your property is big enough?

This won't eliminate bird feeders in use by non-hunters or the KYDFWR????

http://fw.ky.gov/navigation.asp?cid=275

6. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    Not as I read it, it states that any grain, seed or pellets on the property during the ban dates IS cause for a ticket???? So even IF there were NO turkey anywhere around (not many on my place btw) it wouldn't matter, maybe the "right judge" may see it your way, either way , you'd be breaking the law as it is now....imho

7. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    I support the nature of the ban, but the end means seems very confusing to me.

First off, to settle some false perceptions. The KDFW can not tell you that you can't put corn or any other feed out on your property. That is a private property issue. Their jurisdiction comes with the "game" that resides on that land. You can put feed out whenever you want, the law comes into play in regards to when and how you hunt around that bait. If you own a farm that won't be hunted, none of these rules apply.

Here is my biggest question. The law already stated that you had to have ALL bait up 30 days prior to turkey season. They have just moved that up by two weeks or so. Thats no big deal, I think most support that.
    Its the couple of months AFTER turkey season that are confusing. If your farm was spotted with bait within 30 days of turkey season, your farm was CLOSED to all turkey hunting.
    What if your farm gets spotted with corn after turkey season? There won't be anybody hunting in May, June and July. And you have to have bait and a hunter to prosecute.
    So the way I see it, its 100% non-enforceable to be caught with bait in those three months after the turkey season.

Can anyone tell me what charge you could be charged with if you were caught with corn on July 1st?
    I don't think you could be charged. I don't think there is a charge applicable.

8. CM12

CM12 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2004
    Knott Co.

I think multi's referring to my question about the law that stands now, not the proposal.

9. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    Ace, I can assure you that in between those times, there will be millions of seeds sown, lots of feed thrown, and lots of pellitized feed used in daily farm operations without the user being cited. If you hunt over it, then you might be in trouble if your found.

10. Papaw

Papaw Spike

Jan 6, 2005
    Why Have a commission Meeting?

Multi seems to be right. KDFWR decisions are made in committee meetings and not at the Commission meetings. The request for a tabling of this regulation until later was a reasonable request.

1. The feeding of wildlife has been a practice for years and never have we heard of a kill off of turkeys poisoned from corn piles. To the contrary the population has prospered. If the mold on the corn piles was hurting the population then it should be stopped. Where is the proof?

2. Has the CO's been shot at or threatened over one of these corn piles?

The Sportsmen & women of Kentucky pays for the KDFWR operations in Ky yet can not get a regulation, that want go into effect until next yr., tabled for more discussion!! WHAT IS COMING NEXT? Are the desires of the sportsmen being considered or is this what " Most of society" wants as the North American Model program states, that KDFWR has adopted.

We sportsmen & women in Ky must stop our petty arguments and join together to protect our rights, as we are the minority in society, and be vigilent in the activities of our KDFWR. What is the motive of some of our biologist recommendations for regulations?

11. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    IF this stands "as is", YES you'll be charged, NO reason to pass it otherwise, count on that.....now it's possible one might win IF they can prove THEY (the one cited) didn't place it there, the new regs makes it CLEAR NO grains,seeds, or pellets are allowed during those months.....period....nothing about "hunting" (in fact they don't want the need to prove that part, just IF it's there you ARE in violation period).....as it is now at least

Also they CAN certainly cite you for dove hunting a "baited field" (even if you made an honest mistake in plainting for example) why would you "think 'they can't tell you that you can't have feed/bait out? That IS what this is doing btw....

12. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    Sorry Ace thats incorrect. The KYDFW can not tell people that they can't put out a pile of corn. They can only tell you to not put out corn in regards to hunting.
    When people got caught this year or last year with corn on their farm within 30 days of turkey season, they weren't charged with a crime, because none had been committed. The only action KYDFW could take was to say that the farm was closed for turkey season.
    There is no crime in having corn out on your farm the day before turkey season. The only crime occurs if someone then hunts the farm.

13. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    I'll agree that so long as one can prove it was during "normal ag practices" you'd be correct, however want to bet on feeders ?? :)

They won't try to keep farmers from farming obviously, but unless it's "normal ag practices"(feeding cattle, planting fields etc. ) you WILL be cited, whether or not you "win" or "lose" in court remains to be seen, I think there are problems in that area myself, but only time will tell about that...AND as written far as I can tell, they don't need ANY evidence that YOU put it there in order to cite you......think about that part of this.

There is NOTHING about hunting over it, in fact that IS what they're trying to be rid of, catching them hunting over them.......

BTW, NO one seems to have an answer for why IF this is for the Turkey, why isn't the Fall Season protected???

14. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.

15. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    THAT was true under the OLD Regs, THIS changes THAT, period.......read it again.......please, it's very obvious they can and intend to do just that.....make having ANY of these illegal during those dates, grain, seed, or pellets, plain English too.....impossible to not see, just read what it says IS going to be a "crime" during those dates (through July btw)

BTW IF nothing about this WAS changed, why did they pass this? Oh because they DID change all of that!! :) Seriously it's not like it's been, THAT IS the point........YOU (or me) CAN and WILL be Cited IF they find any of those on your place during those dates........THAT is the purpose of the change in fact.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006