bait and call tactic?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by charliehustle86, Feb 3, 2016.

1. charliehustle86

charliehustle86 6 pointer

Oct 16, 2014
    Northern Ky
    I was thinking about using some chicken liver around my decoy. the decoy is homemade feathers on a stake and then trying to call as well.....any one ever tried something similar? thoughts?

2. coyote1758

coyote1758 6 pointer

Oct 10, 2010
    nicholasville ky.
    If I were going to do that I would cook the livers and eat them while calling

3. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Yeah, me too.
    What you might do is spray some scent like Coyote or Fox urine around the decoy.
    I used to use Cat Litter that my Tomkat had peed on. Carried it in a plastic bag.
    When they get close to the decoy you better be Shooting cause they know something is up.

4. whitleycotrapper

whitleycotrapper 12 pointer

May 20, 2005
    Williamsburg, KY
    Never tried that. Killed some on bone piles before without calling. Killed this one today while she was chasing around my live chickens in the back yard. Lol
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,aa

5. KyHillyBilly

KyHillyBilly 6 pointer

Nov 25, 2013
    Buddy of mine thinks this way of thinking is the trick. It would be if you could set out a medium to large size carcass that would take days to decompose. You might have better luck.

But who am I to say I've never killed one....

6. whitleycotrapper

whitleycotrapper 12 pointer

May 20, 2005
    Williamsburg, KY
    Dead calves or road kill deer work. I have a spot out in the front field where we pile up deer carcasses after processing and what little waterfowl we kill every year. It's usually good for a shot or two through the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,aa

7. Glendale John

Glendale John 6 pointer

I take meat scraps from game like deer or even ask for butcher scrap and freeze it in a plastic 2 gal. pail with a 1/2 dowel rod in center. When deep winter hits we take it and stake it to ground through hole with piece of rebar.With cold weather it takes days to come apart and predators keep coming back. Good during night hunting time.