Bad weather again

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Xi Bowhunter, Feb 20, 2008.

1. gobbl4me

gobbl4me 10 pointer

Apr 10, 2005
    Lyon Co.
    I,ve been listening to my scanner all morning and here in my area we have had maybe 2 or 3 wrecks so far. Ppl must be listening for once and staying off the roads.:eek:

2. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    That's what I'm afraid of. I'm 30 miles from the house and have to drive back through this crap if it starts freezing on the roads here.

3. Hammer

Hammer 12 pointer

Sep 2, 2002
    Bowling Green, Ky.
    I went to work this morning to help with some mandatory training. I got there at 0630. No precipitation at that time. I tried to leave at 0830, and my car was covered with a sheet of ice. Left work about 0845, and I just got home, and I live 2 miles from work, and this is in the city!!

Smallhouse Road near the old teepee entrance of Shawnee estates (for all u BG savy members) was a clusterf### of cars. Several of us who had good sense got out and started directing traffic, and thankfully, nobody was hurt. Idiots kept coming too even when we're waving our arms not too, and then they would slide and wreck or almost wreck :mad: U can not drive on ice. Some people have to try first before they believe that. The road needed to be blocker far sooner than it was, but there just weren't enough police to go around.

Finally got police there and got the road blocked, and I got turned around and went home an alternate way. My wife just told me a tractor trailer jacknifed on the road I just came home on :( I'm thankful for safety today.

This was one of the worst times for an icestorm to hit. I heard at 0815 there were more than 100 accidents in this area, and I bet there are far more than that. All of our kids are at school too. WBKO just said there are a few county buses that still have not dropped their kids off at school. Terrible! I've heard of 1 fatality so far in Butler County.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  4. naturalelite

naturalelite 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2004
    NATTYVILLE
    Hammer I know what you mean. I was stopping traffic coming over the hill and there were people saying I can make it I got 4 wheel drive.:eek: I Swear it was like someone hit the idiot button or something.

5. KY_Fried

KY_Fried 10 pointer

Nov 13, 2003
    Foster, KY, USA.
    Everything I've heard so far for this area is calling for snow that will turn into freezing rain/ice later in the evening. I sure hope that's the case. I have to leave for work at 4:30 and reading all these posts about the ice is getting me a little nervous. Driving in snow is no problem at all for me but ice is a different story.

6. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

The same here in Muhlenberg....extra slick out there even on the grass areas...If you have to get out be carefull, I am going to sit here nice and warm and wait it out..:D

7. schroader

schroader 10 pointer

Dec 27, 2004
    down by the river,,,

It all sleet and freezing rain....:cool:

8. droopy

droopy 10 pointer

just talked to my daughter at home and she almost busted her xxx in the drive taking the trash out,and my wife is stuck at a buissness meeting in louisville and they just told them i-65 is closed and it's getting worse there.

9. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm
    I had to take my mother to work this morning, the roads were covered in ice. It is still coming down as freezing rain here, and hasn't let up yet.

10. predator

predator 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2006
    Leitchfield, Ky.
    Same here in Grayson Co., worse a little farther north. Son just got back from WKU, drove up the parkways to get home.

11. Scott7m

Scott7m 12 pointer

Dec 20, 2007
    Carter City, Ky
    nothing falling here in carter county yet, schools are all going nuts.. all of them are getting out around 1, we already have 1 inch of snow on the ground, and they keep saying we could get hammered by freezing rain, temperature is currently around 24 degrees

12. Matt722mx

Matt722mx 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2007
    Louisville, Kentucky
    It is starting to sleet here in Louisville all my classes got cancelled so im pretty pumped....:D

13. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    just came in from Lawrenceburg, had to pick up our son at school. BG parkway is getting slick, had a hard time backing up my drive

14. BOBCAT

BOBCAT 6 pointer

Jan 28, 2004
    MADISONVILLE, KY, USA.
    I drove from Madisonville to Owensboro this morning and the roads were covered in ice. I don't think I ever was able to go over 30 MPH and saw eight cars in the ditches along the side of the road. It normally takes 45 minutes and today it took almost 2 hours :mad:

15. Redfishman

Redfishman 8 pointer

Sorry Guys! All that stuff is being sucked up from the Gulf and that warm air is riding over your cold air making things bad for'ya . We've had coastal flood warnings out for a day now with a 30 -35mph south winds headed right for 'ya.

You all need to turn off the spicket off in the Ohio river so the lower Miss. River will go down .