Bad seeds in the Ranks.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Bonecollector, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    Pooge,
    Look over several different states game laws on baiting, they are ALMOST word for word the same. The only real difference is the amount of time after removing the bait are you alowed to hunt again. Tn has a 10 day waiting period after the last SINGLE kernel is removed. It's the hunters responsibility to know the law. Go back to the original post, the family member KNEW the law on bait and turkeys and KNEW the bait was on the land, if he did not KNOW there was no fixed distance that's HIS fault. There's no ethical call here. Now if you want to make a "What if" we can talk all year and maybe agree on half of them. The only ethical call I see in the original post is the CO should have kept his mouth shut, done his job and just given a ticket if he had caught the family member or let it go.

A lot of people mistake what is ethical and unethical. Would you say hunting deer with dogs is unethical? I don't see why some would call it that. In some states it's legal to hunt deer with dogs and it's been done for years. In some states where they've banned baitting for deer some of them call Ky deer hunters unethical because we bait. To me that's wrong since it's legal here in Ky to bait deer. Is it unethical to set up robo deer off a highway? Some people think so.

No where did I ever say the family member was an unethical hunter, he just didn't know the law like he thought he did.

Bone,
    The guy that put out the bait then called the CO's did a crimial act and should be sued for crimal harassment.

I'll agree with Multi again, they will never legalize the baitting of turkey. Sooner or later they will outlaw all baitting.

2. Regardless if it is a law or not, ethics was the primary motivator for its making. Being ethical is defined as the act of making the right decision based on some preconcieved rationalization of what is right or wrong according to some social, traditional, or even religious standard. When the KFWD imposed the regulation to not allow turkey hunting in areas that were considered baited while allowing the practice of baiting for deer during overlaping seasons, they put, knowingly or unknowingly, the burden of ethics on the shoulder of the hunter. Don't get me wrong, I'm no liberal, we have to have regulations. However, let's be consistant. If in its development this regulation in question was initially based on the idea that baiting provided the hunter an unfair advantage which was deemed unethical to the sportsman code(which is what the department would sell you), why is it not an unfair advantage to bait for deer? I bet we can all answer that one in more ways than one.
    My family member didn't know that the entire farm could not be hunted and that's where he was wrong. Heck, I thought there was some specified distance myself, so I also have been wrong. I guess the big deal for me is how it was handled or I guess you can say wasn't handled. Two wrongs don't make a right, and these things cause hunters and CO's to lose respect for one another, which is sad because most of us are on the same team.

3. woodscreeper

woodscreeper Fawn

Dec 18, 2003
    Lincoln, ky, USA.
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by joekat46</i>
    <br />If we keep having nothing but wet, wet, and wetter springs you'll get your wish "woodscreeper". In the western part of the state there hasn't been a good hatch for at least 2 years. Next years hunting is going to be sparse for the big birds[:(].
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Just a personal thing I guess, but, I can't stand those stinking turkeys. Never could get excited about hunting them. Pulaski Co is FULL of them. Bring all your buddies down here and tote as many of them suckers out of here that you can. Just leave me on good buck a year (16" spread or better) and I'm a happy camper! Deer hunting is like a disease for me. I'd like to spend the time getting more done around the house and save a whole lot of money, but I can't quit it! It's a love/hate relationship for me and very frustrating. This year, I've spent uncounted days bowhunting, every day of gun season (daylight to dark) and 5 days of the late bp season in the woods, and still have yet to kill a monster buck in my lifetime of 24yrs of deer hunting. I want a wall hanger so bad I can't stand it! If I could just get that 1st one, maybe I could settle down!!!! Maybe someday. But I do love a day in the wood!!!!

4. woodscreeper

woodscreeper Fawn

Dec 18, 2003
    Lincoln, ky, USA.
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Valley Station</i>
    <br />Woodscreeper,
    The turkey flock is suffering because of the deer herd. Deer eating all the dang acorns.Squirrels are even worse,hidden all the dang acorns!
    They need to open the season on deer, WIDE OPEN !!! There's no way they could kill all those D@#$ deers!! JUST KIDDIN".
    Every thing in the woods eats acorns and when the acorns are gone all game moves on to another food source.[:)]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> I knew that I'd rile some turkey's feathers with that philosophy!! Oh Well I guess I'll have to Take the heat, Can't stay out of the kitchen, I'd starve!!![:D]

5. Boss Gobbler

Boss Gobbler 8 pointer

Dec 15, 2001
    boone co. KY.
    I think we are asking for problems messing with this. The deer on my farm need the supplemental feed. Now I make a decision I can supplemental feed or I can turkey hunt. This is what I do I skip the fall and winter seasons for turkey, feed the deer. By the time the deer are able to get the food the need, I have plenty of time to remove the feed before the spring season. This way I get the best of both worlds.

6. mbeeler

mbeeler 6 pointer

Nov 1, 2002
    Louisville, KY.
    OK... lemme get this strait... you mean to tell me that a CO can enter MY land WITHOUT my permission? Please tell me he's at least got to have a warrant. hummmmm..... Illegal search and siezure?

Marc Beeler
    - Redneck Programmer

7. Finn209

Finn209 Cyber-Hunter

Mar 13, 2003
    Lewisburg, KY. USA
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mbeeler</i>
    <br />OK... lemme get this strait... you mean to tell me that a CO can enter MY land WITHOUT my permission? Please tell me he's at least got to have a warrant. hummmmm..... Illegal search and siezure?

Marc Beeler
    - Redneck Programmer
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

CO's by law can enter private property as according to the following KRS law.

KRS 150.090

(4) All persons charged with the enforcement of this chapter and the administrative
    regulations issued thereunder shall have the right to go upon the land of any person
    or persons whether private or public for the purpose of conducting research or
    investigation of game or fish or their habitat conditions or engage in restocking game
    or fish or in any type of work involved in or incident to game and fish restoration
    projects or their enforcement or in the enforcement of laws or orders of the
    department relating to game or fish, while in the normal, lawful and peaceful pursuit
    of such investigation or work or enforcement, may enter upon, cross over, be upon,
    and remain upon privately owned lands for such purposes, and shall not be subject to
    arrest for trespass while so engaged or for such cause thereafter. They may arrest on
    sight, without warrant, any person detected by them in the act of violating any of the
    provisions of this chapter. They shall have the same rights as sheriffs to require aid in
    arresting with or without process any person found by them violating any of the
    provisions of this chapter and may seize without process anything declared by this
    chapter to be contraband. No liability shall be incurred by any person charged or
    directed in the enforcement of this chapter.

[​IMG]

The Kentucky Conservation Officers' Association

8. Finn209

Finn209 Cyber-Hunter

Mar 13, 2003
    Lewisburg, KY. USA
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mbeeler</i>
    <br />OK... lemme get this strait... you mean to tell me that a CO can enter MY land WITHOUT my permission? Please tell me he's at least got to have a warrant. hummmmm..... Illegal search and siezure?

Marc Beeler
    - Redneck Programmer
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

They would need a warrant to enter your home without your permission.

[​IMG]

The Kentucky Conservation Officers' Association

9. mbeeler

mbeeler 6 pointer

Nov 1, 2002
    Louisville, KY.
    Man... leagle or not.. thats a crock! talk about free reign... Thats one of those laws that gives government WAY too much power. I'm not saying that CO's are going to abuse it, but the potential is there. Thats one law I definately do not agree with.

Marc Beeler
    - Redneck Programmer

10. Pooge

Pooge Cyber-Hunter

Oct 7, 2002
    Louisville, KY, USA.
    I am done with this topic. I do not want to really piss anyone off and any further comment would do just that.

11. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    mbeeler--it's been that away since Moses was a boy, where have you been???? CO's go where needed, when needed. Without that access, there would be no need to have CO's at all. You think game violators are going to go to them with the evidence?

12. mbeeler

mbeeler 6 pointer

Nov 1, 2002
    Louisville, KY.
    well... thats one of those double edged swords... Its a law that has a purpose, but has the potential to be abused. Just because its an old law doesnt mean that its a good law. I feel if you cant demonstrate probable cause then you dont need to be there. I dont think there's really a right or wrong answer...

Marc Beeler
    - Redneck Programmer