Bad seeds in the Ranks.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Bonecollector, Dec 18, 2003.

1. I have seen from time to time that some of our Conservation officers visit the forum. I'd like to say to the majority, thanks for all you do and have done. I used to be active in the KY HRC and the club I had belonged to, Side by Side Hunter Retriever Club, used to put on annual Wildlife Officer Benefit hunts for those COs that had died in the line of duty and left their families behind. It was our way of showing our appreciation. My family and I have always been appreciative to the work Co's perform and we obey all the game laws to the T. However recently one of my family members has received some static from a junior CO, that is accusing him of hunting turkey illegally over bait. Now before anyone reads me wrong here let me explain. First the farm we hunt is primarily a deer lease with about 25 leasees on 1200 acres. In Kentucky it is legal to bait for deer. Therefore there are feeders all over this farm feeding corn. It seems pretty ironic that the KFWD would set regulations that said no baiting for turkey but its OK to feed the deer when seasons for these animals overlap . Surely they can't seriously believe that every bowhunter is ethical enough to pass a shot on a turkey that happens to feed at his deer feeder? Are they checking our honor or simply setting people up for failure? Simple solution, stop the baiting or make it legal to hunt turkeys over bait. Make it simple.
    Anyway, this family member does not hunt turkey over bait. He bowhunts turkey from a pop-up blind in a winter wheatfield on the farm that serves as a natural crossing, and is several hundred yards away from any feeder(well within regs). Recently he was lucky enough to take a doe and a turkey on the same day. The doe was taken in the AM from a tree stand in an area where this family member does supplemental feed. The turkey was taken in the afore mentioned field in the mid day. Soon after, he was informed through another hunter that this particular CO in question had informed him that he was keeping his eye on my family member because it was too coincidental that he was able to harvest a turkey and a deer in the same day, unless he did it illegally. This CO even stated that he had been "Staked out" all day at my family members feeder and had also walked out his hunting area to find evidence of his killing turkeys over feed. The kicker here is that he is not even the CO designated to our county, he is not performing these patrols in coordination with our county's regular CO , and he leases and hunts the adjoining farm. Talking about a coincidence! I don't know if his motive stems from envy, wanting to preserve the animals for himself, or if it is his ego getting the best of him. The fact of the matter is, all the talk has given my family a bad rap and it sucks. The guy needs to be talked to about having personal agendas. Not to mention he has been directly heard making derrogatory statements against NWTF members in our local chapter at public gatherings. He accuses them all of being poachers. He stated that all he has to do is see the NWTF sticker on a truck and he knows its someone he needs to check. What kind of BS is that! If it weren't for the NWTF, this guy probably wouldn't have a job! I'm not sure what the solution to the problem is but I think most would agree that the best way for CO's to get their job done with the limited resources they have is to work with hunters, not against them. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. And if he really felt that my family member was a poacher, why not just keep it under wraps and catch him, instead of broadcasting it all over our community. That's slander. Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? I have always been the guy that welcomes being checked by the CO's, viewing them as an important part of conservation, but this guy is simply out of line.

2. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    I doubt that Finnwill want to comment on another officer. I'll give you my take on it. I'd say your family member is lucky he wasn't cited. There is no set distance to be away from the bait before you can hunt turkeys there. The turkey could have been traveling to the bait, and hence not legal to take. Of course, this is hard to prove in court sometimes. If you want to hunt turkeys on the farm, you need to not feed/bait deer. The law is pretty simple, you can't shoot turkeys under the influence of any bait. I would agree that he shouldn't be discussing this with others until he makes the arrest or issues the cititaion.

3. deer03

deer03 Spike

Oct 20, 2003
    I would the the co to get off of my property, if it were me.

4. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    I agree with Multidiqits.Your family member KNEW there were feaders all over the lease and also KNEW it was illegal in Ky to hunt turkeys over bait. There is no set distance from the feeders, in fact most other states that ban baitting for any game have no set distance. Like Multi said they can hunt the trails leading to the bait, that alone is baitting. One reason there is no set distance is each farm is different in size and shape. Another reason for the distance rule is people can dump a sack of corn over the fence on another persons land and hunt the trails on their land leading to the corn then they try to say they were not baitting, another person was.

I also agree the CO should have kept his mouth shut and done his job.

deer03,
    You cannot tell a CO to get off your property, he has the right to be anywhere on your land except buldings.

5. gut shot

gut shot 6 pointer

Nov 18, 2003
    morgantown, Ky, USA.
    i don't know about all co's but the three that i know are very respectfull and do there job well and i'm glad to call them my friends but i'm sure there are bad ones some were but my understanding on the bait thing is if the farm is baited you can't kill turkeys on it

6. Valley Station

Valley Station Cyber-Hunter

Bone ,
    If others on the lease are baiting deer, they have actually made the property illegal to turkey hunt.[V] Many have quite baiting deer, so they can legally fall turkey hunt.
    Most COs will tell you, "I don't write a ticket,unless, your in a blind over looking a corn pile."
    Interpretation is left up to the CO and the judge.
    Corn carried to the field is bait. But, if you plant corn, you can
    bushhog it/scatter corn on ground every where and "legally shoot a turkey knee deep" in the corn and that is legal. We need to change the law![V][:(!]

7. hillbilly2163

hillbilly2163 Banned

Aug 19, 2003
    is a stupid law....there are too many turkeys here as it is.

8. hillbilly2163

hillbilly2163 Banned

Aug 19, 2003
    if one is eating on my cornpile it is soon to be in the skillet.

9. RDL270

RDL270 Cyber-Hunter

Apr 14, 2003
    Fern Creek KY
    Just put a sign out by the corn pile saying THIS CORN IS FOR DEER ONLY! All Others will be shot!

10. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    I was told the same as you guys on the baiting aspect. If the farm has bait on it, regardless of how big the farm is, you can't hunt turkeys on that farm. BUT, I was also told that if you knew your neighbor had bait out on his farm, that you could still be cited on your farm for hunting turkeys illegally because the turkeys on your farm could be going to or coming from the bait on your neighbors farm. Hence you would be hunting a baited area due to your knowledge of the bait on his farm. With that in mind, it seems the CO who leases the farm next to yours can't legally hunt turkeys on his lease. Ask him about that next time you see him.

11. hillbilly2163

hillbilly2163 Banned

Aug 19, 2003
    oh but that is different....just ask them

12. I was under the impression that you couldn't hunt within a certain distance of bait. If that's not the case, my neighbor could put out bait for deer on the fence row and if I hunt turkey 200 yds from there, don't know he has bait out, and the turkey I'm hunting are going to the feed, then the CO could cite me for hunting over bait? Bullstuff! What's wrong with that picture?
    It just gripes my ass that the folks setting regs at the KFWD haven't got any more sense than to allow two contridicting practices to go on at the same time. There has to be some limit on the situation. I shouldn't be punished or anyone else for what other folks do and the answer is not for me not to hunt. I help finance the operation. I'd like to see them ban baiting altogether, even though I do use feeders for deer. I do it because on my lease, you have to compete. Seems like there are bigger fish to fry than this one, for CO's. Just out of curiosity though, how many turkey do you all think get taken during bow season over bait? We all have an allabye unless we get caught in the act, "No officer, I'm just deer hunting!". The CO's themselves should have to deal with such lunicy.

I wasn't asking Finn to comment on the officer in question, that would be inconsiderate an innapropriate. Just thought I'd share the story, cause it could happen to any of us.

13. kyarcher

kyarcher Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Garrard County, Ky
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bonecollector</i>
    <br /> Soon after, he was informed through another hunter that this particular CO in question had informed him that he was keeping his eye on my family member because it was <b>too coincidental that he was able to harvest a turkey and a deer in the same day, unless he did it illegally. </b> <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Sounds like the CO doesn't have much faith in the famous Tele-Check.
    We'll neither do I.....[:(!]

14. Treeleach

Treeleach Spike

Sep 25, 2003
    munfordville, ky, USA.
    I think they should do away with baiting all together as far as corn piles should go.It dont really bother me if another hunter wants to hunt over a corn pile but it seems to me it takes the deer away from there natural habits .

15. woodscreeper

woodscreeper Fawn

Dec 18, 2003
    Lincoln, ky, USA.
    I am glad that the turkey hunters have turkeys to hunt, but I am also of the opinion that the deer herd is suffering because of the turkeys. Turkeys will eat the acorns off of a whole ridgeline. Wipe it out!! I have seen this many times. Then, late season the deer have less mast to fall back on. It's been said that the deer will reproduce according to the carrying capacity of the land. IE less food, less deer. They need to open the season on turkeys, WIDE OPEN !!! There's no way they could kill all those d@#$ turkeys!!