Bad ending....so far

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by docbuck, Oct 18, 2015.

1. ReelAffair

ReelAffair Fawn

Aug 22, 2012
    West Palm Beach, Florida
    ^This, 138 yds is not a difficult shot with the modern BP rifles. Hope you find him Doc!!

2. docbuck

docbuck 10 pointer

Nov 28, 2014
    western ky
    Thanks, and yes been managing and serious hunting for 10 years plus. Nutrition , scent control, low pressure, ethical shots, lots of time and effort in offseason. I hunt more disciplined than I ever used to, don't have a lot of room left on the walls, not bragging , just don't shoot at deer that aren't mature at this point. Ill pass for years if I feel I should. I don't feel bad about that shot, he laid head down to dye. I thought it was chest and leg, if I had thought gut I would have backed out six hours and likely recovered by now.. That is the only thing I would have changed. The way I manage our farms has given me and my family awesome hunting opportunities, and I am the last guy that will forget or get over a deer that I have nourished and sheltered for years if I don't recover him. The rangefinder is always with me, especially when I have my bow. Only way to know exactly what you need to do on any given shot. Can't always range one as they move, but I know how far every tree is within 100 yards of all ten of my permanent stands, and it is the first thing I do when I climb a new spot. If the dog doesn't pick up scent, I'll be back up in a tree in a day or two.

3. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I think anyone who has hunted deer a long time has lost one along the way. And it does make you sick to do so. All you can do is give it your best shot at recovery. I shot a monster near 200 inch non typical in a Indiana NWR on a draw hunt, first time it had been hunted in over 20 years, and ML only allowed. No treestands allowed that first year, And the day started out with light rain. I was leaning against a tree in a fence row at the end of a standing corn field when he came out. About a 20 yard swath of weeds between the corn and thick woods. What I guessed at 50 yards, Scope was fogged up on my old 50 caliber TC Hawkins with 2.5 power pistol scope on high mounts and useless so I went to iron sights under the scope, at the boom he hit the ground and never flopped. I started to reload and the closer I got to having it done he raised up front feet first drug himself a few yards until all four legs started working and staggered away into the heavy brush. Knowing I had put him on the ground with the first shot I waited about 15 minutes just knowing he would be laying just inside the woodline. I was wrong, never found but some brown hair and 3 small drops of blood. I spent the rest of my two day hunt trying to find him but came up empty and went home. Even today what went down that day bothers me from time to time. I can close my eyes and bring back every second from where I was standing to seeing his big rack come out of that corn field and that was over 25 years ago. I would give $500 to have that shot again or even know exactly where I hit him. Some said near the spine high and the shock is what knocked him down to where things didn't work right for a couple minutes.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  4. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Good story duster. I enjoyed reading it.

5. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Good lord, gimme a break.... Those that have not sinned "lost a deer" cast the first stone.... I hope you find him man.

6. whitleycotrapper

whitleycotrapper 12 pointer

May 20, 2005
    Williamsburg, KY
    Had a youth hunter have something similar happen a couple years ago. It was on a small doe though. Deer dropped where it stood and never moved for several minutes. Got out of the blind and began walking towards the deer and got about 10 yards away and it opened its eyes and jumped up and ran off. Could see blood just on top of the shoulder as we walked up. Got pictures of it a couple days later with a mark across the top of its back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Chilly

Chilly 12 pointer

Great story that sadly I can relate to 100%... Every detail about that deer that got away haunts me to this day and it has been 16 years. We need classes or counseling for this kind of thing!!!

8. GregDeer77

GregDeer77 6 pointer

Oct 22, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Exactly. The best and only thing we can do is practice....and then take shots that we are comfortable with. It sounds as if he was very comfortable with the yardage at which he took the shot, therefore it was an ethical shot. Best of luck in the recovery!

9. docbuck

docbuck 10 pointer

Nov 28, 2014
    western ky
    So just got done searching for 5 hours. Probably hike 10 miles, followed creek bed to river, hiked every trail I could find. Went through thick stuff, followed crows. Did find more brown splatter, and the stuff I found Sunday turned dark black, likely containing blood. I came to opposite side of farm and will sit in a stand till dark looking for birds and listening for yotes. Tracking dog is injured and Mike Lopez is 800 miles away. So recovery is unlikely. But I am a blessed hunter, freezer is always full, I've killed my share of trophies. And I have 10 stands to choose from on two different farms. There is a fresh scrape under my stand, and maybe the one I lost has a twin on this side of farm. I'll keep looking, but mostly hunting. Thanks for input.

10. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    I feel your pain. Been there. Good luck.

11. buck into 4 quarters

buck into 4 quarters Fawn

Aug 13, 2013
    Flingsville
    When you mentioned that you followed the creek bed to the river it hit home with me on a deer that I was hunting in 2010. My first pictures of him were in July and continued until the first part of October and had 3 encounters with him in early bow season with no shots. He disappeared and did not see him until he showed up on camera in a wooded are near a creek the lead to the river in early December. I hunted the area every chance I could in hopes of getting a shot at him and on a snow covered day I got my chance and put a good shot on him at 23 yds. After the shot he ran beside the tree I had climbed and the I could see the blood trail in the snow leading to the creek from my stand but little did I know where he would end up. After an hour had passed I climbed down and started tracking him the blood trail was easy to follow in the snow. The blood trail never went out of the creek and ended at the river bank I searched left and right of the creek where it ended at the river never finding anymore blood. I could not believe what was going on searched for hours along the river bank and glassed the river never finding him. Still today think he dove into the river. Sure hope you find your deer or he shows back up for another chance at him!

12. predator

predator 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2006
    Leitchfield, Ky.
    I'm not sure what species of dog your wanting to use for tracking but I shot a deer in 2013 and called my cousin with a German Short-hair to help just to see because I had ran out of blood and it was starting to rain. The first afternoon the dog pretty much lead us straight to the deer, granted it was still alive and we jumped it. I came back the next morning tracking the deer along where I thought he went. I walked past the deer twice before the dog got there and went straight to it, without the dog I most likely would've never found the deer! Like I said, I'm not sure if it's a bloodhound or a specific tracking dog you are waiting on but IMO any good hunting dog is crucial is a botched recovery. I hope you find him!

13. Austin Streicher

Austin Streicher 6 pointer

Oct 5, 2010
    Fisherville
    Sorry to hear that. Happened to me last year on the biggest buck I will probably ever take in my life. I also agree to the guy who said there needs to be classes or counseling on this kind of stuff. I still think about it at least twice a week.

14. Rheath

Rheath 8 pointer

Feb 18, 2010
    Owen County
    Im thinking a missed chance anonymous group would be nice too. I can still see it clearly in my mind turning my head and seeing a brown flick of a doe running full blast and a monster head down not 10 feet behind her. Was hunting a powerline and took him 2 bounds just 1 second and he was gone. Only had time for my mouth to fall open a little bit in awe and my eyes to go wide and he was gone. About that time my hands rested on my gun and my mind screamed "No, come back." This was about 15 years ago. Have had a few other instances where deer have snuck up on me and been busted (I'm deaf in one ear and almost deaf in the other so cant tell where sounds are coming from)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  15. docbuck

docbuck 10 pointer

Nov 28, 2014
    western ky
    Well I spent 5 more hours hiking and following buzzards , creekbeds, ridges, and valleys. I have put in some serious miles and made about 100 phone calls looking for a dog with no success. I was confident the deer was dead, but after covering nearly every part of 107 acres, I am convinced that he is either dead and well hidden near place he was shot, or he was in shock , recovered and maybe we will meet again. Either way, he will be one of my fondest hunting memories except for the recovery. I did learn my second farm even better and found some new places to put stands/climbers. I will give that farm a few days to recover from my intrusion while beans are harvested and hunt at my other farm in the interim. Things happen for a reason sometimes, maybe I will have another opportunity on an even bigger deer, and capitalize as a result of this experience. Also, I read two stories last night about late recoveries, one was 39 days after the shot, and the other was 2 years and nearly a Kansas state record. So you never know what may happen.