Backyard trapping

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by cedar creek, Apr 21, 2019.

1. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    I’m on a mission to get coons and possums around farm, trying to get turkey populations back up, been using snap foot traps and live traps, got 3 coons and one big buck possum, he was a hoss, using turkey guts from kills as bait, any help be appreciated, trying snares but no luck yet, foot traps been productive.

2. Luther's Feist

Luther's Feist 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2014
    Coeburn, Va
    I been trapping coons and opossums here the last month or two. So far have caught 10 coons, 3 opossums, and 6 house cats. Guy told me to try grape jelly and I quit catching cats and been getting coons pretty regular. Spread the jelly on a piece of bread or put it in a small bottle (old pill bottle) or jar so they have to mess around with it. The grape jelly works really well in the live traps

3. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Get you a couple of dog proof traps for coons

4. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    The dog proof traps are great for coons. I like using canned mackerel in them .

5. peaker

peaker Fawn

Aug 7, 2015
    Dog proofs are the way to go and I catch a lot with marshmallows. Coons will eat about anything you want to put out though.

Bee likes this.
  6. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
  7. ABLongbow

ABLongbow Fawn

Aug 10, 2018
    Morgan County
    I use the dog proof Coon traps with a little sweet feed in them works great for coons