Backpack

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Huntin' Fool, Aug 25, 2021.

1. Huntin' Fool

Huntin' Fool 6 pointer

Oct 17, 2014
    Looking to get a new backpack for deer hunting. I'm starting to get into more public land hunting and am looking to pack my climbing sticks and hangon. Some of them nice ones are $150+. Anyone have something they love for less than$100. I saw one at academy for around $75 but was curious if you guys had any help. Thanks.

rockhousehunter likes this.
  2. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 10 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    I've always hung my hangon stands in advance, never had a need for a backpack for them just carried it and the climbing sticks in and out. I just use my backpack for backpack stuff like extra clothing, food, etc.

3. Stone Branch

Stone Branch 8 pointer

Jun 27, 2019
    Lewis county, KY
    Maybe a little kids book bag for less than a hundy.

G

1wildcatfan likes this.
  4. PUBLIC RAT

PUBLIC RAT 8 pointer

Feb 18, 2014
    Sounds like you need a pack with a frame. Thats a lot of weight to put on a pack.I doubt you'll find one for less than $100. My personal favorite are those fieldline pro series. Walmart sells them,eBay. Packs a lot of stuff and tough,$30-40.

5. Mountain Man4life

Mountain Man4life Spike

Oct 5, 2020
    Hills
    Hard to find a really good one fir under a hundred. I have the exo pack but it’s way over what you said you wanted to spend. Sportsman warehouse in Lexington had a decent pack for 69 bucks I tried on. It felt pretty good. But if your able I’d spend once and buy a good pack instead of buying one every year or two

6. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Check out Alps brand packs. Great packs and a good selection at decent price.

7. Oldrook

Oldrook 6 pointer

Jul 19, 2020
    Bowling Green
    Another up for Alps packs. Little more than your stated budget, but they are quality packs that last a long time.

8. Huntin' Fool

Huntin' Fool 6 pointer

Oct 17, 2014
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm just not that knowledgeable in this area. I've always hunted private land and really never had a use. Like I said though I'm wanting to try and go to new places, maybe out of state, and fully expect to do some hiking. Ill check out some of the ones mentioned. Thanks.

teach27 likes this.
  9. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Packs are a personal thing. what works for one hunter may not work for another. Does it fit you well? Does it have the pockets you want? Right size? Hold a spotting scope? Tripod? Rifle/bow scabbard? Eberlestock & Exo Gear are two good packs (I've used eberlestock for several years, bought an Exo Gear pack after hunting with two different guides that used them), lot more than you want to spend but will last a long time.

10. BowOnly

BowOnly 8 pointer

Mar 6, 2008
    I would think most cheaper packs would struggle to carry the awkward load.

You may have better luck outfitting your stand with army surplus Molle straps and waist belt ($40). You're essentially using your platform as a pack frame and then can strap the rest of your gear to it.

It's still not a high end pack but it's secure and works well enough.

20200828_123348.jpg 20200828_123323.jpg

11. Cole505

Cole505 Fawn

Sep 6, 2016
    Badlands. Some of the best quality packs out there. Will definitely be above your budget but you get what you pay for and it will last much longer than a cheaper one. Has to be the best money I have spent on hunting gear.
    I absolutely love mine.

12. Huntertyler

Huntertyler 6 pointer

Nov 3, 2014
    Madison county
    Bought a sitka fanatic pack the other day. So far really like that it doesn't have buckles or any metal on it which makes it a very quiet design. Has some straps on the outside where you can attach lone wolf sticks, bow, or maybe just some extra clothes. Like said above, Sportsman's warehouse in Lexington has the best variety of back packs. Haven't been much on Cabelas here lately. Hope you can find what you're looking for. A good backpack is worth a lot when out all day.

13. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

14. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 10 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    The ole Lone Wolf stands. Love them. The seats aren't great but they're a nice stand.

15. silentarcher

silentarcher 6 pointer

Feb 27, 2013
    west ky
    Not for packing a stand and sticks but I like the wal mart fieldline pro series packs too. They're tough and hold a lot of gear organized neatly. I used the same one for years before It finally gave in but it was my fault. I picked up one from academy very similar for $35 and another fieldine pro recently at a yard sale $5. I'll strap either on my stand and sticks. I have nice backpack strap straps on my stand/stick setup. Doesn't take a high dollar pack to get the job done.

PUBLIC RAT likes this.