Back in the day...

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by mudhole crossing, Nov 28, 2019.

1. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    thanksgiving morning use to be our family bunny hunt. Do some still do it?

2. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    I would always slip out for quick grouse hunt. On a couple of thanksgivings when I was very young I killed a limit before lunch. I was quicker and in better shape back then. And a world of grouse around with virtually no predators or hunting pressure. Really was the GOOD old days.

3. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    We used to do it all the time years ago. We all would meet up at a farm Beagles brought and head out at daylight. Hunt till noon come in for Thanksgiving dinner. Sometimes there would be 20 of us lined up across a field. I don't see any Rabbit hunters around here. Don't see any Rabbits.

mudhole crossing likes this.
  4. Bullcb69

Bullcb69 Fawn

Oct 10, 2019
    Graham ky
    We went out and killed 3 swamp rabbits this morning. Dogs did a fine job fyn the 1 for 1 1/2 hours

HCDH66 likes this.
  5. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    We always went that morning. Deer season normally runs through it now.

6. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Used to before I moved from home. Did the first couple years after but no one fools with dogs anymore but myself.

7. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

Left right after Thanksgiving Dinner and headed to Kansas for about 4 days of rabbit hunting. Just went through St Louis about an hour ago. Seven people and 40 beagles going this time. Cant wait!

8. Bubbles

Bubbles Banned

Oct 25, 2016
    Now that's a trip!

9. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    I used to slip out to a couple of hidden honey holes that held Ringnecks where I grew up in another state. Those holes still hold birds just don't get to em any more.

10. Used to bunny hunt on Thanksgiving Day with Dad and my uncles, cousins. Those days are no more. By Brother is gone and my kids too far away. No bunnies left after the coyotes eat them. Settled for squirrels instead.

11. crossfire

crossfire 8 pointer

Jun 13, 2006
    Mayfield, Ky
    Find any birds in all that rabbit cover? Had a hunt I was gonna do in North Central Kansas years ago as I mapped out Walk In Areas that had the highest density for combinations of quail, pheasant, and the occasional prairie chicken. My male setter went sick on me that fall and later died so I never made it.

12. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

We only jumped a few single quail. I think we have to travel further north to find the pheasants.

13. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Not sure how I missed this thread but growing up Thanksgiving is the holiday I remember the most due to tradition. Deer hunting just wasn’t a thing then. On Thanksgiving morning we’d walk and hunt for small game. We’d try to jump up grouse and would get one every now and then but always killed a few squirrels and an occasional rabbit. Then around 1 we’d eat. Afterwards we went on a family hike to the top of the mountain behind my house. Very memorable. As a country kid, I loved it.

14. trapper perry

trapper perry 12 pointer

May 10, 2009
    Growing up we always would quail hunt Thanksgiving morning with my dad and brothers.Stop hunting in time for a big dinner at Grandmas.

OLE RASPY and xbokilla like this.
  15. Grago

Grago 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    This is a sad thread for me, used to rabbit hunt, and quail hunt, we had beagles and pointers Always hunted with my dad and his friends, Now seems its all gone My dad and his friends, the quail and the rabbits to. But i am so thankful to have the memories, and to have lived in that era

mudhole crossing likes this.