Back from soggy Michigan.

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by uplandchessies, Oct 7, 2013.

1. uplandchessies

uplandchessies 10 pointer

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    Was a great trip minus the rain, although it wasn't nearly as bad as predicted. The low flush estimates are 15 on grouse and 70+ on woodcock. We duck hunted Saturday morning and in the morning and evening on Sunday. Although Jason did knock 1 grouse down (it got back up), we didn't put any in the bag. Storm pinned a good number of the grouse and the rest came up wild. We did end with 18 woodcock over Thursday, Friday and Saturday and 5 wood ducks on Sunday. On the Saturday duck opener we had a few flybys on groups of wood ducks and 4 that surprised us by sneaking into the edge of our hole from the river. Storm put them up without us firing a shot. Planned to hunt on Monday, but slept in since we were pretty wiped out (Dog included). Called it a trip and headed home. Only negative was our shooting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. EKYridgerunner

EKYridgerunner 10 pointer

Sep 13, 2010
    Congrats! Sounds like a good trip all around.

Good lookin pup ya got there too.

3. inchr48

inchr48 10 pointer

May 14, 2013
    NW Indiana
    That is one happy looking dog. Sounds like fun!

4. JasonGoneFishing

JasonGoneFishing 12 pointer

Nov 26, 2007
    Kentucky
    Here are the rest of the photos

Attached Files:

5. JasonGoneFishing

Nov 26, 2007
    Kentucky
    More.........

Attached Files:

6. JasonGoneFishing

Nov 26, 2007
    Kentucky
    Last...

[video=youtube;7KKx1CCZu48]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KKx1CCZu48[/video]

Attached Files:

7. fullstrut1

fullstrut1 12 pointer

Oct 17, 2005
    Rineyville
    I just got home from a bow hunting trip in Michigan and this is the first time in 12 years that I didn't see any grouse. Normally I see them every day.

8. uplandchessies

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    We actually saw more grouse this trip than the past 2 years combined. We just couldn't hit them.

9. JasonGoneFishing

Nov 26, 2007
    Kentucky
    I needed a canon this year to hit anything. glad I didn't get the .410 yet, 28 was small enough :)

10. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    As long as you had a good time, that's the main thing! I just hope the leaves are gone/mostly gone when we get up there. Looks like they were hanging pretty good in your pics. We are leaving in the morning.

11. mlittle

mlittle 6 pointer

Apr 18, 2009
    Versailles, KY
    Great pictures. Thanks for sharing!

12. uplandchessies

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    It's always thick when we go. Makes for tougher shooting, but they can still be taken. For the most part, it wasn't the cover. We just shot poorly for some reason. Three of the grouse presented me with shots that shouldn't have been missed. Good luck.

13. agr_hunter

agr_hunter 6 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Over the Hill
    Wonder how the duck hunting will be at the end of October? I will be on the Flambeau River and feel like trying to give it a shot.

14. uplandchessies

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    My guess would be really good. I'd definitely keep an eye open for ducks while woodcock/grouse hunting.

15. crossfire

crossfire 8 pointer

Jun 13, 2006
    Mayfield, Ky
    Got back from Michigan at 3:00 am in time for work this morning and it was anything but soggy. Hunted in a t-shirt 3 0f 4 days. Throw in 20 mph wind and leaves that hadn't dropped yet, and I quickly realized I should have spent more time fishing! Several flushes first two days; 25-30ish total, but only saw 4 birds and only shot at two of them. Yesterday, woke up to a frost (finally) drove another hour north where the leaves were not as thick and was able to squeeze out 5 grouse and 4 woodcock in the bag by 5:00 between 3 of us; I'll take that anyday!