AZ elk application

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by NOCAMST, Feb 8, 2021.

1. NOCAMST

NOCAMST 6 pointer

Oct 9, 2017
    Central ky
    Just letting you guys know in case anyone forgot tomorrow is the last day to apply for an AZ elk tag or a bonus point. Also last day for pronghorn as well.

1wildcatfan likes this.
  2. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    My family of 4 gave em $700 a few weeks ago.

3. NOCAMST

NOCAMST 6 pointer

Oct 9, 2017
    Central ky
    Sure doesn’t take long to spend some cash on points out west. So I’m still fairly new to the point game but since I’ve already purchased my license for elk points I’m going to apply for deer points as well but my question is how about big horn rams? Do you know how many points it will take to draw a tag on those? With the points only being an additional 15$ each I figure why not start building them.

4. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Probably 30. I have the total number of points holders at home. It'll be a couple of weeks til I'm home. Apply for turkey, javalina and bear if your interested in those critters. September application period

5. NOCAMST

NOCAMST 6 pointer

Oct 9, 2017
    Central ky
    Wow 30 is a lot but may as well I’m young enough to hopefully get an opportunity one of these years.

6. CHL

CHL 10 pointer

Jul 14, 2008
    Central KY
    Yeah Greg is pretty close. I think their Sheep points (max) is 29. With just getting started, I’d recommend applying for units that have a random tag for non-residents. Many of the best units may require max, or close to max points to even apply to be drawn. Just make sure there’s a random tag available before you apply or they’ll never be a chance ya draw.

7. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    17,000 more elk applicants than last year.....
    A year ago, max pt for sheep was 31. 9,600 NR with pts. Just guessing, but I'd say somewhere around 20/yr go to NR. people will drop out over the years due to age, health, death or those that can do math and realize they'll never draw a tag. I started pts for my boys when they were 10, the earliest you can start, they are 18 & 20 now. They may have a chance someday if they keep it up.

8. NOCAMST

NOCAMST 6 pointer

Oct 9, 2017
    Central ky
    As soon as my son reaches 10 I’ll start getting him points it’s so much cheaper and would make a an awesome trip around the time he is 20 for a great elk unit.

9. CHL

CHL 10 pointer

Jul 14, 2008
    Central KY
    Yeah it’s gettin’ crazy. I’ve got 15 I think. Even went out a few years ago for the day just to take their hunter’s safety course for the additional preference point. Gotta apply for units with trophy game but also where there’s a “random” tag to draw so you’ll at least have a chance.