Autumn Olive Berries? Anyone eat them?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by FOWLER2671, Oct 7, 2019.

1. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I don't know that I have ever seen an Autumn Olive but for those that have them the berries sound interesting!

2. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I wish every autumn olive on our place would die! Bears love them.

elkaholic likes this.
  3. Dangermouse

Dangermouse 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2004
    Hazard, Ky, USA.
    Yes, they are the best after frost.

4. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    My mother in Law makes jam with them every year. With lots of sugar it’s very good.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  5. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    They are sour. U can make jelly out of them. Wildlife love them but they are the most feared shrub for allergies. I hate them!!

6. thunderstorm

thunderstorm 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2001
    We've made jelly/jam out of them. It's pretty good, but I sure wish they would die and go away. It takes an unbelievable amount of work to keep them trimmed out of our access roads.

elkaholic likes this.
  7. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'

Well that kills it for me. I'm always stopped up!

8. Fenderabbit

Fenderabbit Fawn

Jan 17, 2008
    Eastern Kentucky
    https://www.northeastsuperfoods.com/blog/2017/10/4/autumn-olives-the-invasive-superberry

Autumn olive is most notable for its high concentration of lycopene. Lycopene is a well-known carotenoid thought to decrease the risk of prostate, lung, and stomach cancers, decrease LDL (bad) cholesterol, and decrease the risk of heart disease. Americans get their lycopene mostly from tomatoes, which contain about 4.6 mg of lycopene per cup. Cooking tomatoes increases the bioavailability of this lycopene, and canned tomato products such as soup and sauce contain even higher amounts - a cup of tomato soup contains about 26 mg.

Although tomatoes contain high levels of lycopene, they simply can’t compete with autumn olives in this regard. 100 grams of raw fruit boast an average of 38 mg of lycopene, and some samples have tested even higher, all the way up to 54 mg! Autumn olives contain other healthy carotenoids too, such as β-carotene, lutein, and phytoene. It’s also a good source of vitamin C, providing 27.8 mg per 100 grams of fresh fruit. Many non-academic articles report that autumn olives contain other vitamins and minerals, but I couldn’t find any sources to back this claim up. It may be conjecture based on the vitamin content of related species.

You can eat the berries fresh, but the taste is a bit acerbic. The ripest berries are sweeter... but "sweeter" is very relative: they're still pretty sour. Thankfully, if you don’t care too much for the raw fruit, autumn olives make delicious jam, jelly, sauce, fruit leather, and wine. The sour and fruity flavor of autumn olives is similar to pomegranates or tart cherries, so recipes that call for either of those fruits might be worth experimenting with.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  9. Luther's Feist

Luther's Feist 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2014
    Coeburn, Va
    Make good jams and jelly and actually taste pretty good after a frost hits em

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  10. 00noturkey

00noturkey 10 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    ah aint never seen one. 1st time i ever heard of one..

11. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    They are very hardy, actually very pretty when neatly trimmed...nearly impossible to kill out (bull dozer, kerosene, weed killer = no effect)...
    Wildlife loves them, especially various species of birds...

They are also a gender based plant...the males produce very long, very sharp thorns (leather gloves are frequently not enough protection)...my family made the mistake in the 1970s planting them as ornamental shrubs (county extension service provided them for free I think) so I have had a lot of experience pruning them...cursing most of the time while pruning...

12. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Can you post a pic? Not aware that I've ever seen it. Thx.

13. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    Autumn olives are the spawn of Satan.

14. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Why cant a plant that is great for deer and turkey be as hardy as honeysuckle or autumn olive?

dirtstalker and elkaholic like this.
  15. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Never seen one. I don't reckon.