August 9, 2019--KDFWR Committee Meeting

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Teach Deer, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    A couple of interesting topics on the agenda for this meeting...

Proposal to end Quota hunts on a number of central KY WMAs in favor of an "open" early muzzleloader and an "open" limited modern firearms season (9 days)...

WMAs included in the proposal include: Griffith Woods (Harrison Co), Kleber & Rich (Owen / Franklin Cos), KY River (Henry / Owen Cos), Taylorsville Lake (Shelby / Spencer Cos ?), Veteran's Memorial (Scott Co), others...

I appreciate the department looking for ways to improve accessibility for hunters (especially with lease prices always increasing), but personally feel this could be too much accessibility...

In the late 1990s and early 2000s, KDFWR under pressure from a host of insurance companies to lower deer populations along I-64 east of Mt. Sterling, opened up much of the Daniel Boone National Forest to zone 2 modern firearms hunting (buck or doe for full modern firearm season--not just the three days at the end that it was previously)...the area did have a large deer population (and driving through that area at night was dangerous) but the slaughter in about a five year window was so great that the area still has not recovered...this might have been the best "big woods" hunting area I have ever seen...seeing 20 deer a day was no big deal, and passing on basket 8 points even on public land was common because grand daddy buck might well be just around the corner...and a lot of big bucks were harvested...

Do not want to see a repeat...

I actually favor the idea of the "open" early season muzzleloader in replacement for the quota hunts...this actually does make sense to me...the muzzleloaders are limited ranged weapons, offering normally one shot at a deer...I think the population can probably handle this...

The "open" modern firearm season sounds a bit too dangerous especially in some of these WMA locations...I can imagine an orange army in every tree on Taylorsville Lake and Veterans WMAs (due to their close proximity to urban areas)...I also think that this limited hunting would encourage a lot more "brown and down" mentality and would seriously harm the trophy potential...

I would also like to see a couple of these areas limited to archery / crossbow only...or maybe a three or four year rotation for an "open" modern firearms hunt (if populations get out of control)...larger populations on archery only areas would become well known and spur more hunters towards those areas (better chance of success / more trophy potential, especially if encouraged)...

Example: 2020--Kleber & Rich -- Archery, Crossbow, Muzzleloader, Limited Modern Firearm
    --KY River---------Archery, Crossbow ONLY
    --Taylorsville Lake--Archery, Crossbow, Muzzleloader ONLY
    --Veterans --------Archery, Crossbow ONLY

2021--Kleber & Rich ---Archery, Crossbow ONLY
    --KY River --------Archery, Crossbow, Muzzleloader, Limited Modern Firearm
    --Taylorsville Lake--Archery, Crossbow, Muzzleloader ONLY
    --Veterans--------Archery, Crossbow ONLY

2022--Kleber & Rich ---- Archery, Crossbow, Muzzleloader ONLY
    KY River ---------Archery, Crossbow ONLY
    Taylorsville Lake--Archery, Crossbow, Muzzleloader, Limited Modern Firearm
    Veterans ---------Archery, Crossbow ONLY

etc....

I also think the KDFWR could better allocate some work on food plot / supplemental feeding efforts on the WMAs in the years following the Limited Modern Firearms season...establish new plots in clover (also helps bees), winter wheat, corn, etc with a focus on perennials over annual plants...

KY is getting/has a reputation as a deer state (in my childhood I could only dream of this--mostly while hunting in other states) but it could be improved...both in terms of access and quality...keep promoting the ideas of QDM to hunters...

2. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    This is not a good idea, it would be a slaughterhouse and very dangerous in my opinion?

BowOnly likes this.
  3. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    You stated above that muzzleloaders are “limited range”. About only difference in the newer muzzleloader and a modern rifle is more than one round in the gun. Newer muzzleloaders have extended range and I agree it would be a slaughterhouse in some WMAs. Orange vests would be everywhere and not very safe either.

KYBOY likes this.
  4. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Quota hunts make more sense to me, even outside of the normal season. KDFWR can control numbers of hunters and assign hunters or groups of hunters a particular week. People should be able to withdraw and allow standby hunters to take their spot.

5. hunt

hunt 6 pointer

Sep 29, 2015
    The Berg
    Y'all need to come to Peabody for the first week of rifle season. You'll be glad you left with your life. If you're lucky. It's a zoo.

I've lived the proposals mentioned above. Years ago there was no muzzleloader season and the rifle season was a draw hunt on Peabody WMA. Now,it's a free-for-all. The rifle season is just the first 10 days of statewide rifle season,but the numbers of hunters go up every year. There's no doubt leasing/buying has contributed to this,folks have just lost places to hunt because they didn't have the finances to compete,but,they still want to hunt,so they buy a $15 permit and just join the crowd, I probably would too if I ever encounter that situation.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    Genesis 27:3 and aaronc like this.
  6. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Sounds like lack of hunters in this state is an issue,...we simply need more of them.

7. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Archery is not that bad on Peabody just the firearm hunts were Eastern Kentucky residents all head west. It was that way before F&W took over so nothing new. Sister work for Peabody Sinclair mines out by Paradise TVA plant and was in charge of the Peabody permits. Said very few local hunters in firearm but sure lined up for those permits from eastern Kentucky residents. She told me of a group that came in and she ask why they travel so far to deer hunt. One guy told her we done killed all the deer over our way and now are going to try and kill all of yours. With Muhlenberg being a zone 1 county now and Peabody parts in this county will take a big hit from those hunters.

8. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 10 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Please don't stop quota hunts, I enjoy taking a 4 day trip to these hunts and so do the other hunters, what if you aren't privelaged to have your own land and you the public land as resources, that's like saying no hunting in Daniel Boone forest

9. supergoat80

supergoat80 10 pointer

Aug 31, 2012
    I remember when taylorsville was open to modern firearm way back when. If you walked across a field you held your orange about your head.

aaronc and BowOnly like this.
  10. PUBLIC RAT

PUBLIC RAT 6 pointer

Feb 18, 2014
    Ah yes I remember the free for all modern gun hunts from 90's on wma land. Guy's arguing who shot a certain deer first, the bragging rights you had when you shot a scrub 6point. Some of you guys here made great comments especially the east county guys coming in, don't forget Amish, from what I hear they won't stop until the last deer is down. I know they want more hunters which means more $$$ for the state but there has to be a balance without ruining the trophy bucks.

aaronc likes this.
  11. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I've experienced the free for all firearms hunts on Public land in Ohio. Didn't like it then, and won't do it again. Flat out unsafe. I'm putting in for the archery only quota hunts myself, and will be ecstatic if I get a doe.