Atv snowplow?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Thomas Heck, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Thomas Heck

Thomas Heck 6 pointer

Mar 11, 2013
    Just wondering if anyone could recommend a place or brand to get a atv snowplow with the hand handle lift. Thanks

2. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Check with Rocky mountain ATV.....Not to rain on your parade but your going to wish you had a winch setup to raise and lower it.

3. willy09

willy09 Banned

Oct 15, 2009
    Anyone got any hillbilly redneck engineered plows

4. Thomas Heck

Thomas Heck 6 pointer

Mar 11, 2013
    Thanks for the reply. You're probably right about the winch. Just trying to save some money.

5. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I just know with mine when I push a bunch of snow into a pile without the winch it would be very hard to lift the plow to back up. Don't have to be a expensive one, IIRC mine was under $100 at TSC and has a remote that attaches to the handle bars. 1200 pound rated I think. I got a Warn plow 48 inch wide but this deep snow we just got was more than it could handle FWIW.

edit...just did a quick search and found one at Harbor Freight for $90, also do a search for online coupons and they have one now for 20% off thru the end of Feb.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  6. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    May check harbor freight....cheap

7. chris149

chris149 12 pointer

Jun 17, 2009
    KY
    I had one for my old lawn mower and rigged it up on my 4-wheeler with three u-bolts. It work pretty well but I need to make a few changes before next year.

8. Thomas Heck

Thomas Heck 6 pointer

Mar 11, 2013
    Thanks again for the info Duster.

9. Rob DeHaven

Rob DeHaven 10 pointer

Apr 19, 2006
    on the road
    Got a 3000lb winch from Walmart.com that had nothing but great reviews for 100. Can't remember the brand.

10. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    my $.02 from experience. for what you'll pay for a decent plow and winch, you could pick up a good (used) two stage snow blower. the ATV plows have their limitations, the snow blowers don't have any limitations that i have found. every 4-5 years we get a nor'easter that'll dump 20-30"+, found my plow was useless the first storm, the next storm the snow blower never missed a beat. just hang on and let it eat away.

11. Powerstro284

Powerstro284 8 pointer

Jun 12, 2014
    Rough river
    I got a moose hand plow for my atv I couldn't be happier with

12. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I've had one on my Big Bear that I bought on-line at Walmart since 2009.... gave like $79. Never have had an issue with it at all.

It was one of those deals where i had bought a new 4wheeler and it came with a factory mounting plate and I thought a winch might be handy.... never had one on a atv. So... I came across this one and thought it's cheap enough that if it smokes on me I haven't lost much money. But it just keeps working and when it comes to hanging deer it's done paid for itself many times over.

It is a Champion 3000 lb atv winch.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With the 4wd and differential lock controls ... the handle bars were a little crowded.. So ... mounted the winch controls on the left rear of the front rack.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    While one would be nice given the weather that we just had, I can't justify the expense to buy one to sit around and rust for 10 years before I may need it again. You can spend a lot in a hurry, even with the manual lift, by the time you get all of the components to mount one.

14. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    Those are my thoughts as well but I have considered plowing driveways for winter money. Not often do we need it but you can make $2k a day. Gonna get into truck plowing once I get a bigger truck...gonna have to be a diesel. What's the going rate plowing an average driveway anyway? $25 would be minimum. With the snow we had, I would guess $35-$40.

15. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Not saying an atv snow plow wouldn't work... but if I were thinking about doing it to make some money.... would consider a compact 4wd tractor.... like an older Yanmar or Kubota where you can use a little heavier implements.

Most implements for atv's are pretty light weight and will get the average homeowner by. But to put them to heavy continued use... I'd say you better be prepared to do a bunch of repairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk