At what point..

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kyhunter99, Feb 11, 2019.

1. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Ky
    Do you consider yourself 1. Unlucky or 2. Terrible at shed hunting??

Im feeling down here.

xbokilla likes this.
  2. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    I have not found any the last 2 years.

3. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Only ones I have ever found were just stumble across. Most I have found were during turkey season. I have this thing about seeing things out of place or as my wife says don't belong there. Drives her crazy at times because I spot something and try and point it out to her yet she can't see it. Don't go out looking for sheds only. I have seen where some guys train a dog to find sheds and if you have the time and willing to put in the effort to train one that may be a good idea.

elkaholic likes this.
  4. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    I'm with you...….likely have found less than 2 dozen over the years, and I usually stumble across them during turkey season. I'm not sure I've ever found one actually looking for them. Seems some folks just have a knack for finding them.

5. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    There are many factors in when bucks shed testosterone is one over all health of the deer and how much quality food they got the previous fall are others. On the other hand low quality food and stress will cause them to drop early.. instead of wandering aimlessly through the woods focus on known late season feed areas and bedding sites you will find antlers , also any heavily used trails you find now should be followed , don't worry about jumping deer this time of year it's not going to affect next fall..

Hillfarm, Ataulbe1 and Genesis 27:3 like this.
  6. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Ky
    I literally follow all the recommendations and still end up bust. But by god i can find the smallest most out of place any-other-thing in the woods. Today i found a wildgame innovations trailcamera in the mud. I feel cursed. I have never once found a shed where people say youd find them, and ive only found 2 in my life.

As for dogs we dont have one. I did try and train my last dog who would find me dead deer all the time. But wouldnt find or chew on an antler if you stuck it in his bed. He acted like they hurt him or something.
    Drove me nuts.

7. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    Bucks will tend to drop close to the same areas year to year just gotta find that area.. none of the bucks I have dropped on my property I have searched like crazy.. going back down to CKYWMA again a look there.

8. Meatstick

Meatstick 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Found at least 90% of mine in turkey season. Most bucks around here are still packing both sides right now

9. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    If I had to offer one more tip.. the best time to look for see and find sheds is on a drab overcast day , they just seem to stick out better and you can see them from further away...

Hillfarm, muddhunter and kyhunter99 like this.
  10. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 10 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    i think its like a needle in a hay stack, right place right time

WMAallDAY likes this.
  11. Drahts

Drahts 10 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    We've sure had a mega butt load of those days over the last year!

12. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    Yep, the little creek behind my house looks like a white water river too..

13. model70

model70 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2011
    Western Ky
    I find most of mine ( not like I've found tons) early morning during turkey season. I have got out in late February and walked crop fields and places I watched deer traveling during the rut or late fall. Trails through bushy areas and thickets . Took me forever to start finding them. I guess when I started mushroom hunting, I started being able to spot them. Stick with it and good luck, just remember to have fun!

WMAallDAY, Genesis 27:3 and Meatstick like this.
  14. bah1286

bah1286 6 pointer

Jul 29, 2014
    I went several years looking on a farm we used to hunt without finding any. We just didn’t have many bucks around that time of year. First shed I ever found was early fall while digging gensing and it is still one of the best. I found another real nice one while I was helping my dad clear an area on bulldozer. About 6 years I stumbled into an area where I found 2 one day and I have found sheds there every year since except last year. My dad got in there before me one day 2 years ago and found 5 in about 30 minutes. It is within 150 yards of where I found the matching set this year and an area that is about 10 acres on our farm has produced all but just a couple sheds we have found on our place. If you find one, it is likely the bucks are running together and not moving to far. Stay In that area and look hard. As was said above, go when it is overcast and spend most of your time in bedding and food.

15. Meatstick

Meatstick 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    With shed hunting and shrooms both, gotta get the eye for em to really get going. That first shroom every year kinda trains a fella

Hillfarm and Recurve77 like this.