At Majority Leader McConnell's Request, Trump Administration to Aid Kentucky in War on Asian Carp

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by drakeshooter, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Not to argue at all but did they not push for a commercial processor to buy those carp and turn them into something useful ? I have not heard how that went, anyone know ? I wonder how fast they reproduce and repopulate waterways like the rivers and lakes. Almost sounds like a never ending thing. Much like a Alewife fish (much like our threadfin shad) that got into lake Michigan and near took it over until they started putting salmon/trout in that ate the heck out of them did they get any type of control. Is there such a fish that would eat those carp ? I know they grow big and big fast and to find something that would control by eating them and survive the warmer waters would be unheard of.

2. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    They've processed millions of pounds of the critters, many flash frozen & shipped to China (they pay good money for them). Big females can lay millions of eggs and spawn several times per year. Blue cats (and probably flatheads) are eating at least some of them and work pretty well as cut bait many are saying. .
    I'm sure the young are eaten by several species but doubtful (IMO) it's making much of a dent in the population, the commercial fishing likely will IF enough keep getting harvested. The general belief is they're here to stay no matter what we do, trying to get the population "in check" is likely the best that can be done it appears at this time.

Nock, carnivore and drakeshooter like this.
  3. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Maybe the state need to stock lots and lots of Musky's :D I had to laugh at one time they stock some Northern Pike in a couple pits in what is now part of Peabody WMA. One old boy told me about catching one and trying to lip it like a bass not knowing it had a mouthful of sharp azz teeth. I might have paid good money to have seen that...:eek::D. He said I ain't fishing that place ever again..:D

aceoky likes this.
  4. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    How about we wage war on potholes? A new I 75 bridge? War on heroin and meth? War on impoverished Kentucky counties with no viable industry? War on the silly state pension system? I can go on.....you know the real problems, and I understand the trepidation of invasive species.

xbokilla likes this.
  5. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    My son and friends have declared their own war, one fish at a time. Pics in bowfishing forum.
    Processor in wickliffe.
    I read somewhere they produce 4 million eggs twice a year.
    Big bowfishing tournament fri and sat night out of eddyville. Weigh in su day morning.

barney, drakeshooter and aceoky like this.
  6. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    I see no way other than killing everything. Even then we don’t have a chance.

drakeshooter likes this.
  7. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

I would love to bowfish one. Know any guides?

8. slobear

slobear 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2014
    Agree on invasive species, we should start with southern border (Thanks rand and thomas). Then we should stop the noreast tax crazed yankees from inhabiting. Should damn sure prevent them from running for Ky political offices.

9. slobear

slobear 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2014
    It is way past time for action to be taken. While kdfwr played duck blind lotto the lakes and rivers ecosystem was being destroyed. Can’t forget about them playing God and reintroducing Elk to stomp on “impoverished Kentucky counties” gardens. Hope those same impoverished county inhabitants didn’t depend on a pond for fresh fish, I’m sure the reintroduction of otters surely didn’t help.

Maybe kdfwr can take a piss on small game some more by promoting Ky as a “trophy” deer hunting Mecca. Nothing like overpriced useless land being gobbled up by leases. Yeah, I’m with Mitch on this one!

barney likes this.
  10. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Have you seen the pics I posted on the bowfishing forum? Too much fun.
    David Jarvis, 270.929.3597. Kentuckybigboyz on facebook.
    Dennis Redden, 270.252.5734. Focus on big fish, not big numbers.
    Www.reddenoutfitters.com , check out the pic of 76 lb big head

kyhunter99 likes this.
  11. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Bless your heart.

12. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    You are super special bud. Definitely funny....but not in the way you think. Please keep posting for my amusement. Thanks

BigPete likes this.
  13. slobear

slobear 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2014
    I’m pretty positive I’m not interested in your thinking process.