Ashland WMA

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Deadbeat, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    I was doing some research and stumbled upon some information about the Ashland WMA in Lee county having some grouse in it. Has anybody hunted this and can confirm this?

2. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I have not been, but spoke to some that have. The oil/gas company working the area is very hard to get along with. They deny access to areas plainly marked on the map as huntable. If you went in with some backbone and faced them down, you could probably get in and hunt all of it, but be prepared for unpleasantries.

3. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    Has anybody personally hunted here that could say whether it is worth driving an hour to hunt there?

4. jkurtkrauss

jkurtkrauss Fawn

Feb 13, 2006
    Lexington
    I have hunted it several times. Awesome cover. Flushed a few in my earlier trips but they have not been there lately. The property is now open public, no need to worry about the oil company.

5. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    If i was driving south on 11, where would be a good place to park and go into some good cover, i would be driving from menifee. Is there a main parking lot or little pull offs everywhere with pole gates?

6. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    I wouldn't leave Menifee to hunt there.... You'll likely have better luck there or around Cave Run... Good luck if you go.

7. jkurtkrauss

jkurtkrauss Fawn

Feb 13, 2006
    Lexington
    Are there any logged out areas around Cave Run?

I used to hunt around the Murder Branch area, with good results, but it got too "thin".

8. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    Yeah, but most areas that were logged are now too large and hold no ground cover. I have hunted murder branch and its not to great anymore. There are very few gates in menifee county that i even hunt and have results. Come to think of it, only 1 or 2. And those areas have so much hunting pressure that the birds are impossible to get close to. Im probally gonna drive down to lee county and look around if i get time since it is only an hour away.