Ash trees dying?

Discussion in 'Habitat Improvement' started by TedB, Jan 27, 2013.

1. TedB

TedB 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2005
    Nicholasville
    Looks like the ash borers have taken over my place in Owen county. Tons of trees with the bark being stripped off by wood peckers and dead limbs falling. Has anybody else noticed it? Does anybody know if the ash trees will come back or are they gone for good?

I'm planning on going through this spring and planting gobbler oaks in the open spots.

2. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    really surprised it has taken this long. As far as a comeback, probably not in our lifetime. There will be a few here and there that might make it, but not on the scale we are used to. Only the yard ones that get treated will likely stick around.

3. randy grider

randy grider 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Burgin, KY
    that sucks, i have alot of ash. I guess i'll be 100 % bush honeysuckle now

4. Fat Tony

Fat Tony 12 pointer

Owen is a positive trap county. If you have marketable ash trees, now might be the time to sell them. Once dead they are only good for snags and firewood.

5. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

I heard there were some eastern counties with borer. But they have not shown up here yet, and I hope they don't. Jimmie

6. Bowhunter.35

Bowhunter.35 8 pointer

Jul 2, 2012
    Louisville
    Here in South central ky, on our farm I was cutting up a fallen Ash and it had borer tunnels in it.

7. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    What Pentail said. Only the trees that are treated with insecticide will survive. Say goodbye to the ash tree.

On a happier note, the chestnut project is gaining momentum. Our Grandchildren may see them become widespread once again.

8. shedfinder

shedfinder 6 pointer

Feb 12, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    I work for a company that treats the ash trees for the borer. Don't be fooled...treatment works on very few trees...the treatment is a preventative only. If your tree is already infected, too late. Trees with the highest success rate are the ones in the range of 3" to 6" caliper...and that has only been at 50% success! It drops off significantly after that. I am finding in Oldham County there are quite a few more downed and affected trees year after year. Haven't experienced it as much in Breckinridge Co where I hunt.

9. Fat Tony

Fat Tony 12 pointer

Was walking the property with my boy today and it struck me that 2 of our stands are in ash trees. Down the road a ways but that is going to be an issue eventually when they get hit and die off.