ARs

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by xbokilla, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    I built a Palmetto 5.56 16" M4 for $269 and bought a stripped lower from Borders for $49.

2. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    So do you get a better at buy buying it from the store or custom built?

3. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky

I’m far from an expert but what I have gathered. you spend money on a good barrel and a good trigger. You could buy a cheap complete AR rifle at the store and switch those things out or Find the parts that you like and put one together. It’s just like anything else in the world for the most part you get what you pay for.

I don’t know why but I am dead set on finding a older pre ban bushmaster lower, I know it makes no difference but that one specific snake logo Just brings back memories as a kid going through the Buckmaster Magazines I cherished as a child

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    jblack1 likes this.
  4. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    That being said if anyone has an old bushmaster they wanna sell shoot me a PM

E8A5CA19-49F6-49BC-A2E9-16EA3A9A8E9E.jpeg

kyoutdoorsman likes this.
  5. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    My 2 cents, if you know what you want it's definitely cheaper to build. If you dont know what you want it's going to be about the same either way.

I built my first one pretty cheap then decided I did or didn't like different things about it and replaced them. Had enough parts left over to about build a second one. You do learn how to build them and how they operate inside and out, so that's not nothing.

If you build I'd decide on what barrel (length and gas system) and BCG you want and build around that.

predator1 likes this.
  6. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Google don't tread on me ar15 lowers several company's use that logo.

7. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    If a person wants cheap. Cheap can easily be had. Odds are the gun will function without issue. However your accuracy may suffer and the fit and finish isn't there. You can buy $20 Chinese handguards that will work, but might cut your hand with the sharp edges. You can buy $500 carbon fiber handguards that will work and save a lot of weight. Or spend $100-200 and get a great handguard that looks and feels good in the hand.
    As others have noted. If your goal is to build. Start out knowing your caliber of choice. Then pick your barrel, bolt carrier group, and trigger. Most everything is purely aesthetics and $$$$$ depending on your taste after that. You’ve got the bottom of the barrel Bear Creak Arsenal or you can go top of the line JP Enterprises, F-1, Falkor, etc... If you’ve got deep enough pockets you can even get a Falkor Petra chambered in .300 Win Mag. Life goals right there!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    JR in KY likes this.
  8. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    I HAD a 300blk pistol. Till the boating accident when I lost it. Flat dark Earth, Aim point red dot, flip up back up sights, light.

Ataulbe1 likes this.
  9. Thomas Roberts

Thomas Roberts 6 pointer

Sep 5, 2019
    Falls of Rough Kentucky
    I have a Delton AR15 That I love. Also affordable and runs like a boss.

NOCAMST likes this.
  10. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    Have you ever owned a BCA upper?
    I ordered a Bear Creek Arsenal complete upper expecting mediocre results, I ended up with the most accurate rifle that I've ever held in my hands,
    they will definitley get my business again, I never had high hopes for a complete $250 upper, but I couldn't have been more wrong,
    The reviews are either excellent or horrible, I recieved an excellent product,
    anyone would have a hard time building a complete upper for $250,
    any complete BCG alone is close to $90.
    I'm pleased with mine, who knows the next may be a complete dud but this one has far exceeded my expectations.

Just my experience with BCA products.

YMMV

11. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I have a black hole weaponry 18" p3 6x6.8 barrel I paid $300.00 for just the barrel, put a redx 6.8 bolt carrier in it Anderson upper, jse handguard rise ornament 3 1/2 pound trigger and adjustable gas block.
    It's a killer and a tack driver.

12. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    How did you like your aimpoint? Worth the money? Damn shame about your boating accident. Happens far too often...

13. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    I ordered a 24 inch Grendel, it's kind of cumbersome but I didn't buy it to carry around like I'm in the Army, I bought it to shoot, and that it does well.

14. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    I loved it. Got it for a steal from a friend

15. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    My bottom of the barrel comment was more directed towards price. As you’ve said, the reviews seem to be really positive, or total junk. I know they had problem with their Grendel barrels a year or so ago but are supposed to have remedied that. I’ve had one BCA upper in .223 wylde. I think it was the Bear Ursid? For $250 complete. Hard to complain. But didn’t give accuracy I wanted. It would average 1.5-2” groups at 100yards. I’ve come to expect 1/2-3/4” out of my builds. So I now pay for just the barrel what Bear Creek charges for the complete upper. If a man is happy with that accuracy, and obviously a potential for much better. I’d say BCA is the way to go. If you’re an accuracy snob like I am, and like lightweight barrels. It’s hard to find anything from BCA that isn’t heavy barrel.

jblack1 and riverboss like this.