Arrowhead hunters?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by slow-bow, Jan 4, 2007.

1. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    Well, although arrowheads are certainly interesting finds, geodes are exquisite gems to me, some much more so than others lol.

2. Redlined

Redlined 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2005
    In The Tree Next To Ya
    I don't disagree in the least. Growing up, I was fascinated by rock hounding and mineralogy, but ultimately native pre-Colombian history won out.....

3. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Makes total sense for those who hunt wildlife with bows, while even for those who do not do so. I simply enjoy playing within/near water, myself, always exploring in order to see what I might find next. Have a good night.

4. Redlined

Redlined 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2005
    In The Tree Next To Ya
    You too. Water courses were a major travel corridor for ancient man, which is why the provenance of his celt find was so great, I have personally found artifacts ten thousand years old from the same zip code. Something about human hands shaping something a thousand generations before now that never gets old.

5. Little FR

Little FR 10 pointer

Nov 10, 2021
    West Kentucky
    I’ve never found any knapped flint while I was looking for it. I’ve found it while I was hoeing out tobacco, looking for a broken anhydrous applicator shank, mushroom or shed hunting etc.

I love reading about history and such. Just not much into archaeology as a hobby.

6. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    My yard and surrounding area is covered up in flint, chips, chunks and artifacts. Neighbor put in a septic system this summer and added a bunch more pieces. Got his interest piqued tell you that! I said hey you mind if I walk your dirt? He says go ahead. He had also said, he hides store bought arrowheads and tells his granddaughter to go hunt them out in their yard. I said why not bring her down here and find real ones!!!! Ten minutes later I have a preform and a nice broken piece!!! He is like, I thought you just shittin me! The trench he dug for the water line unearthed a dozen peices! Its fun to imagine that 1000 years ago their were families living here on my hill living and making stone tools to live off the land.

aaronc and bondhu like this.
  7. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    I am sentimental over anything old and typically seek to preserve such when found (sea shells, sea glass, whatever catches my fancy, but I am usually searching for small critters when found). I think it is extremely important to preserve things of old. You and others might enjoy this link.

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/flarch/blog/identify-your-florida-projectile-point/

Redlined likes this.
  8. Redlined

Redlined 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2005
    In The Tree Next To Ya
    I used to belong to an artifact group based out of Florida. Brought back the memories looking at that link. Great group of guys and learned alot about Florida typology. Newman, Simpsons, Thontossa, Safety Harbor, etc..

HuntressOfLight likes this.
  9. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    My younger brothers back home collect them, I have simply yet to let them have any of mine lol. This may have previously been posted, I do not know, but it would make for a great floating header upon each page of this long thread, so that those of us less knowledgable about them could easily reference it, whenever new finds are posted, and/or for when researching those previously posted.

https://www.projectilepoints.net/Search/Kentucky_Search.html

Redlined likes this.
  10. Redlined

Redlined 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2005
    In The Tree Next To Ya
    Rifle season closes tomorrow evening. Which in turns means arrowhead hunting resumes Monday at daylight. Anybody else in? Got some good spots I stay out of so as not to disrupt the hunting, but I'm biting at the bit to get at it.

11. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    My attention will remain upon birds. We are jumping back up into the mid 60's next week over here, and they should settle down a bit more after this weekend.

Redlined likes this.
  12. Redlined

Redlined 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2005
    In The Tree Next To Ya
    Im all about milder temps when it should be cold. Just usually brings the wind which I'm not a big fan of.

HuntressOfLight likes this.
  13. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    We just might make good hunting partners, then. I love wind, especially whenever it is blowing all through my hair, I just do not like cold wind blowing into my ears. They are highly sensitive. I wear cute earmuffs, for it all, unless I am on a wave lol.

Redlined likes this.
  14. Onthedge

Onthedge 6 pointer

Dec 11, 2020
    South East Ky
    Be waiting for pictures.

Redlined likes this.
  15. aaronc

aaronc 12 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield

So where does a man go hunting injun rocks ? Anywhere there is dirt busted up?

barney likes this.