Arrowhead hunters?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by slow-bow, Jan 4, 2007.

1. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    Anybody ever found or purchased any "game balls"? I have found several suspicious looking stone balls in occupied areas. Some are natural no doubt but some make me wonder if they aren't manmade. Are game balls even a real thing? Seems odd that the natives would have spent the time to make these if they were just for entertainment. any ideas or comments? Love to have more info.

2. kymailman98

kymailman98 10 pointer

Dec 20, 2009
    Christian County
    You guys are lucky, everything around here is no tilled, and it's almost impossible to find anything. I have a cave with a spring on my farm and when we plowed the field next to it, I found a lot of good stuff. It must have been a major campsite, as it was listed in an early history book on the area as being so. 309.jpg But, it hasn't been plowed in almost 20 years now, and my arrowhead hunting days are about over. I still manage to find some when I'm out hunting on other farms, and know where a real good place is, but I also know that owners kids sometimes like to look, so I haven't asked to. Pic is of some of what I have found.

Jarhead likes this.
  3. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    That's a real nice frame mailman.

4. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Here is an example of a possible game ball. Any input would be appreciated. Deadaim? What do you think about it? Found on Ohio river near a probable camp. Also found flint chips and some brokes. Is this anything or is it a river tumbled rock?

5. deadaim

deadaim 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Booger Hollar
    I would say it is a artifact it looks to have been pecked out formed and made.

6. deadaim

deadaim 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Booger Hollar
    Shell dipper found by Col. Raymond C. Vietzen in 1951 Glovers cave. Pictured in The Saga of Glovers Cave 1957 .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jarhead likes this.
  7. nateb440

nateb440 8 pointer

Nov 8, 2011
    IMG_1680.JPG IMG_1681.JPG IMG_1682.JPG Was up in Ohio for Christmas. Took out a couple of my kids to hunt in some 30 mph wind and sleet. It was a muddy mess but we didn't come home empty handed. Nothing special but found a nice little adena and some porcelain buttons from an old farm site.

muddhunter and deadaim like this.
  8. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    I
    I love it but I don't see an adena in there.

9. nateb440

nateb440 8 pointer

Nov 8, 2011
  10. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    The Indians attempted to make cannons out of hollowed logs. A lot of them blew up, but there's historical references of the attempt and apparently some of them were able to get a couple of shots out of them. Maybe that's a "cannon ball"?

muddhunter likes this.
  11. Rheath

Rheath 8 pointer

Feb 18, 2010
    Owen County
    Anyone have any experience in owen county looking for arrowheads? I like to think im a hunter and gatherer. My wife says pack rat I say collector. Ive been collecting shed antlers, metal detecting finds, & enjoy morel mushroom hunting (and eating). I would like to add an arrowhead-artifact collection but don't have the faintest idea where to start. Been reading about fields after plowing, and searching creeks but is their a good amount to be had in owen county?

12. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    The first little knoll or high ground up off of a bigger creek or river is usually good. Usually best to go after the ground has been disced or plowed and then rained on. Rocks get up to the top and the rain makes them easier to see.

I have found only one good rock in a creek the rest have been walking fields.

13. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    I have enjoyed following this thread. And some where the discussion was of Fox Fields Mason County. When I was a boy we would be waiting for the ground to get warm enough to set tobacco we would hunt arrowheads.And all of the places we would go I would image thousand and thousand of Indians roaming Ky. I read a UK article a few years ago that said Fox Fields was a burial that they came to it from far away and that only 3 established camps where in Ky one being Indian Old fields in Winchester. This cannot be correct. As a kid we visited plowed fields in (as the crow fly's) Bath Co.,Fleming Co. ,Fox Fields and on to the Ohio river. I know of 2 large encampments and 4 smaller ones. Beside Fox Fields I know of 3 large burials and 4 mounds that have been forgotten in time . And this was only on kin folks land or friends can't imagine if we hunted every field.
    Our prized arrowheads where (probable not the correct names). Dovetails ,Fluted and the Big Turkey Tails ( never found one whole but we managed to put 2 together). I was wondering your thoughts on what educated archaeologist have written and what us simple farm boys see in the tobacco field. Maybe I am wrong but it seems something is being over looked.

14. SlowBow

SlowBow Spike

Nov 5, 2015
    Henderson Co., KY
    Just a few that I've picked up here in Henderson Co. FB_IMG_1484238722404.jpg FB_IMG_1484238731391.jpg

15. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Getting ready to plow my hay field for the first time in at least thirty years. Very excited to see what comes up. Its adjacent to a small creek and on the Cumberland with a nice little rise on it. The neighbor has found some nice surface finds about a half mile away and couple points in the creek bed.
    Located in Cumberland cnty.

nateb440 likes this.