Arrowhead hunters?

Redlined

12 pointer
Sep 23, 2005
In The Tree Next To Ya
There are many threads in this collection on Facebook, if you want to argue authenticity find some people who bought stuff from the auctions and sent the pieces to respected authenticators. Get in touch with them and find out for yourself. This collection was offered to several well known auction houses and not a single one would touch it. So it goes to an auction where everything was bought as is. A legit birdstone of that material and size would fetch well above 10k. So what you have is a fool who thought they were getting a good deal. Let me tell you, relics of that significance are pretty much all known about and definitely don’t sell in auctions like that. Not saying the guy didn’t hunt rocks, I’m sure he did, but 95% of the stuff of any significance in that auction were fake.I hope no one on here bought any.
Seems like I should know you, I know most of the local guys and I see you have Pat's Decatur

Redlined

12 pointer
Sep 23, 2005
In The Tree Next To Ya
Believe what you want, I don’t really care. If you bought stuff and are happy then so am I. Just don’t be angry when you get the truth.
That's got nothing to do with it, I just can't see the point in trashing a well known deceased man's collection that was collected well before most of us were even alive. Was there some questionable stuff, sure. But most of what was being offered was far from museum grade and the stuff that didn't look legit stuck out like a green thumb. No, it wasn't the Gerber collection.

tbob131

6 pointer
Jan 2, 2008
elizabethtown
If you call telling the truth trashing then so be it. The truth can be nothing more than that. It can’t be racial, it can’t be mean, it can’t be anything other than the truth. So if it it bothers you I would guess the problem lies within.

tbob131

6 pointer
Jan 2, 2008
elizabethtown
If you call telling the truth trashing then so be it. The truth can be nothing more than that. It can’t be racial, it can’t be mean, it can’t be anything other than the truth. So if it it bothers you I would guess the problem lies within
Seems like I should know you, I know most of the local guys and I see you have Pat's Decatur
Maybe you do. And if you do know me you know I don’t trash anyone. I just call them
Like I see them. Fakes and frauds have destroyed the credibility of this hobby for years and those of us who stand bye and let it happen, are guilty. No matter who gets offended. In the end it’s the unknowing novice who gets burned then turned off to the hobby. If you love it and want it to be around for a long time then you should protect it, no matter whom you offend.

Redlined

12 pointer
Sep 23, 2005
In The Tree Next To Ya
If you call telling the truth trashing then so be it. The truth can be nothing more than that. It can’t be racial, it can’t be mean, it can’t be anything other than the truth. So if it it bothers you I would guess the problem lies within
You got a way with words, I'll give you that. Have fun with it, I'm not going to derail a fifteen year old thread because you have an axe to grind.

tbob131

6 pointer
Jan 2, 2008
elizabethtown
You got a way with words, I'll give you that. Have fun with it, I'm not going to derail a fifteen year old thread because you have an axe to grind.
I have zero axes to grind. I just don’t like fakes and really don’t like when they are sold in mass to unsuspecting buyers. The etown show is in a couple weeks. Come there and ask every single reputable collector and dealer their opinion on that stuff.

Last edited:

rockhousehunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2013
Salyersville, Ky
I used to have a place to look for arrowheads but my papaws farm isn't available anymore. We always hunt in Ohio and drive by some pretty fields along Rt. 7 up beside the river heading toward Gallipolis. I was wondering if it was worth stopping and asking the land owners if we could walk some of the fields that we drive by close to the river? Do you guys think that would be a good area to look or maybe you guys know that it wouldn't be a good area for whatever reasons. I'm not sure if its original land around that area or if its been messed with by farmers and developers and stuff covered up over the years. That's why I was just checking to see what you more qualified hunters knew about it. Thanks all.

bigbonner

12 pointer
Aug 5, 2015
I have a big field that laid alongside a side county road and no fence boarding it. I would plant the field in tobacco and find these two older men in there hunting right after a big rain and the field was planted. They would tromp on plants and track the mud up . I ran them out three times and I told them the last time I would call the sheriff and press charges. They would say so and so gave them permission when I owned the land. It would not have been so bad but it was always wet and muddy and they tromped plants. They would sneak in right after a rain and before anyone else could get in there and hunt. The two was from Ashland.
I was harrowing a few days ago and I saw foot prints where someone had been back in there in the mud.

Redlined

12 pointer
Sep 23, 2005
In The Tree Next To Ya
I used to have a place to look for arrowheads but my papaws farm isn't available anymore. We always hunt in Ohio and drive by some pretty fields along Rt. 7 up beside the river heading toward Gallipolis. I was wondering if it was worth stopping and asking the land owners if we could walk some of the fields that we drive by close to the river? Do you guys think that would be a good area to look or maybe you guys know that it wouldn't be a good area for whatever reasons. I'm not sure if its original land around that area or if its been messed with by farmers and developers and stuff covered up over the years. That's why I was just checking to see what you more qualified hunters knew about it. Thanks all.
All of that area was heavily inhabited, if you can get in I would definitely give it a go. That river served as an interstate for thousands of years and saw loads of activity in ancient times.

muddhunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2005
louisville
Any plowed/tilled ground next to moving water is worth looking at. You’ll know pretty soon after starting to look if it’s any count or not. It just takes one flake for me to get dialed in.

muddhunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2005
louisville
I have a big field that laid alongside a side county road and no fence boarding it. I would plant the field in tobacco and find these two older men in there hunting right after a big rain and the field was planted. They would tromp on plants and track the mud up . I ran them out three times and I told them the last time I would call the sheriff and press charges. They would say so and so gave them permission when I owned the land. It would not have been so bad but it was always wet and muddy and they tromped plants. They would sneak in right after a rain and before anyone else could get in there and hunt. The two was from Ashland.
I was harrowing a few days ago and I saw foot prints where someone had been back in there in the mud.
Trespassers ruin everything.

muddhunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2005
louisville
Did some creek walking last weekend. Found a couple brokes. This was only whole one.

Attachments

• DE5BE02E-8C66-4D6E-9FF9-1FD2D27E20F1.jpeg
    DE5BE02E-8C66-4D6E-9FF9-1FD2D27E20F1.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 54
  • B1C947E7-657D-440A-9AE9-03983A8796EB.jpeg
    B1C947E7-657D-440A-9AE9-03983A8796EB.jpeg
    173.4 KB · Views: 49

Latest posts