Arrow Rests

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by LoneArrow, Aug 21, 2017.

1. LoneArrow

LoneArrow 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2016
    Scott County
    I bought a QAD drop away arrow rest from Cabelas a couple months ago. I've been out shooting nearly every day since. I've noticed that no matter what, I hit a little to the right consistent. Maybe 1/2" to 1-1/2". I am also +/- 2" up and down.

It doesn't matter if I am 20 yards or 30 yards. I also hit the same 4 holes nearly every time. I didn't have this problem with my whiskers. Is this me? Is the rest not set up right?

2. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Just throwing this out there... which I've ran a QAD hunter for about 9 years on a compound. It hasn't seen much action for the last couple seasons as I'm shooting / hunting with traditional now ...but I'd rate it as one of the best and trouble free out there. At least that's been my experience.

But .. yes ..it could be as simple as a minor adjustment to orient it right / left or up / down. However if it was dialed in .. spot on initially .. I'd check for other things.

One being the right / left issue .. could be grip... may be torquing the bow a tad. You might pay attention how your gripping the bow. There's a lot of bad habits easily picked up when we shoot a lot and many times we don't realize we're doing them.

In turn ...it could be a spine issue if you have changed draw weight a tad , changed point weights or changed arrows in general. Also don't rule out arrow knock fit to string being too tight can do some weird stuff.

Which arrow / rest .. another thought .. may be a fletch contact issue... especially if your using blazer type vanes. As QAD at one time offered two heights of the arm that holds the shaft. Specifically the higher one was for the Blazer style fletch as the fletch itself was a tad taller in comparison to the shorter for normal vanes and feather fletch.

Another possibility....ultimately shooting in this heat you could have had some string stretch. Which this ever so slight stretch can effect knocking point , peep location and overall factory specs of the bow. Basically changes everything as you knew. Especially if your shooting higher / lower suddenly.

I'd check the axel to axel length of the bow and compare it to the factory new specs. If it's stretched showing a tad longer... a few twist in string or cables will get you back to where you need to be.

Hopefully this will give you a few obvious things to check on. Which a good archery shop would get you on the right track if the issue persist.

Good Luck.

3. LoneArrow

LoneArrow 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2016
    Scott County
    Thanks JD. I'll look at these and try to narrow down my issue further.

Do you know of a good bow tech you trust in the greater Lexington area? I have trust issues with bow techs. The guy that always touched my bow moved away.

4. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I'm on the far western end of the state and sorry to say I don't know of any around Lexington.

Maybe someone will chime in on this thread and give you a name or two.

LoneArrow likes this.
  5. PHILIPRILEY16

PHILIPRILEY16 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2009
    Take it to curtzingers in Danville best in our area I don't think lexington has any good ones I know of. He can paper tune it with ya just try and go eat as he is busy this time of yeat

LoneArrow likes this.
  6. PHILIPRILEY16

PHILIPRILEY16 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2009
    Early not eat stupid spell corrector

7. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    My QAD is a POS. Mine will not stay setup properly. It hits the fletching and my arrows will not group.

LoneArrow likes this.
  8. Huntertyler

Huntertyler Spike

Nov 3, 2014
    Madison county
    Take it to Curtsingers if you want to pay more money for marginal work. The in range in Richmond is by far the best shop my bows have been worked on at. Extremely knowledgeable along with the opportunity to shoot up to 50 yards inside.

LoneArrow likes this.
  9. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    If the groups are that consistent I would think it is a tuning issue that can easily be solved by adjusting sights or ur rest. Have someone stand behind you and watch the track of your arrow if u wanna test this before paying money to have it looked at. If ur arrow has a funny rotation to it then ur rest may need to be adjusted. At only an inch or two off, adjustments needed are quite small.

LoneArrow likes this.
  10. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    I would try moving the sights slightly to the right

11. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    Set up a piece of paper in front of your target and shoot through the paper at 10 ft or so. This will tell you about your arrow flight. you may have to make adjustments to your rest and remember!!!!!...... a very little is a whole whole lot when moving that rest. your trying for a bullet hole. no right tears left tears etc.

12. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Do walk back or French tune. Adjust rest or sight accordingly.

13. Mob169"

Mob169" 6 pointer

Aug 14, 2010
    Is shoot a bareshaft At 15yds and look at the arrow flight and entry angle

14. PHILIPRILEY16

PHILIPRILEY16 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2009
    The range in Richmond may be ok but I have not heard much good about it. Curtzingers never charges be much but I do buy my stuff there a lot so maybe that's why. Like I said the range I Richmond may be decent you could try there also.

15. 257Wmag

257Wmag 6 pointer

Oct 7, 2015
    NC
    I've had nothing but good luck with my QADs, had them on my last 3 bows and all have been flawless. It could be timing, left, right, up, down or you. I'd paper tune first and see whats going on. If shooting bullet holes then adjust your sight and roll on.