Armadillos

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Meatstick, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    I know they're pretty common now in the western end of the state. How many of y'all have run into an armadillo, roadkill or otherwise? This'n makes the 2nd I've come across in Bullitt county this year. Right at the fairgrounds entrance. And I've seen 3 on the BG Parkway in the last couple years. Just curious if they're becoming more prominent in the central part of the state. First I ever heard of them around here was about 15 years ago. The ol boy that owned Fishers Sporting Goods in Shepherdsville had a picture up of him holding one by the tail. Said he'd killed it local. I called BS back then, but I can't doubt it now. Name what counties they've been seen in if you don't mind.
    29577.jpeg

Kylongrifle32 likes this.
  2. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I've seen several roadkill around BG. My MIL had one on her deck a couple of weeks ago. They live in the far Eastern portion of Barren county.

Meatstick likes this.
  3. ky blue

ky blue Fawn

Aug 15, 2010
    Last year I saw one killed on Hwy 25 between Corbin and London a couple months later one was killed near the 13 mile marker on I75 just north of Williamsburg.

Meatstick likes this.
  4. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I’ve seen them as far north as Metropolis, IL. They’ve been in KY since the late 80s.

Meatstick likes this.
  5. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    That what I've heard, on occasion. It's just that I'm out and about alot, and in the woods way more than most folks. They're just now showing up with some consistency. I reckon it was the same type deal for coyotes at some point, hell even deer and turkeys really.

6. Timholt70

Timholt70 6 pointer

Oct 25, 2019
    Christian county
    First one I ever seen was when I was hunting some private land in North Alabama in 1997.i was living in southern Tennessee at the time.they started showing up regular on my property a year or two later.they became as common as a possums.have seen several in trigg and Christian county ky the last few years.

Meatstick likes this.
  7. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Quite a few at LBL, and some on the western end of WK. Nothing in central KY for me.

Meatstick likes this.
  8. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    I’ve seen them dead on road in warren and barren county. Just a couple. There not of abundance. Wonder if they eat turkey eggs if so I’ll kill hell out ofem. Lol

Gooch, Timholt70 and Meatstick like this.
  9. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Yessir. Egg eaters die regardless

Timholt70 likes this.
  10. We got no Armoreddildos in Rowan or Floyd County. Our Mountain Lions keep them kilt out. We tried to work a deal with KY DFWL to trap and relocate some of our Mtn Lions from E KY and move them west to help stem the tide of these non-native invasive critters but they said their traps cannot capture non-existent big cats that only appear and disappear as ghosts. BTW - Coyotes eat more Turkey eggs than the lil armor-plated possums ever could.

JR PORTER likes this.
  11. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    I haven't seen any personally but a couple of have been reported here in Anderson County & one was found dead in the woods behind a store downtown a few years ago.

12. woodsman92

woodsman92 6 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    Never seen or heard of any here in south central ky. If I do see one in the woods it will die though.

13. bstickin1

bstickin1 8 pointer

Jul 1, 2005
    Rocky Hill, Kentucky
    Seen my 1st one, roadkill, last week in Barren on 31E about a mile southwest of Glasgow. My son said he seen his 1st the same day in north central TN, roadkill too.

14. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    So these are a possum with a little more protection in their back? Yall keep em on that end unless they kill yotes&coons:D

15. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Possum on a half shell

120+ and Munson like this.