Armadillo hit on the Natcher between Cromwell & Bowling Green!!!

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by CentralKyHunter, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Kcoyboy

Kcoyboy Banned

Feb 28, 2008
    Ten years ago we saw them in Missouri dead on back roads going to Branson (southern M) Id never seen one then we stayed at Lake Barkley coming back and there were reports of them in Ky then. They are real pests and dig holes in lawns . I think they are coming north with the warmer winters.

2. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I heard that they were imported by the KDFWR to control the turkey population.

3. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    It's not global warming, it's just natural wandering in all directions that they can survive in. They are from South America, just like the possum was. Doesn't matter whether you love em or hate em, they're coming. There's nothing we can do to stop them. Same with the wild hogs. The light green is the potential range based on temperature and rainfall that they can live in.

[​IMG]

4. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    My co-worker had one splattered in the road in front of her Lee Co. home last week. She's an intelligent woman and described it perfectly, and she knows what possum-on-the-half-shell looks like.

Just like cockroaches, if you see one you've got one hundred. They're here to stay.

5. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Saw one smooshed on the road at LBL this afternoon....

6. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    We played a game of spotting the first dead armadillo on the way to Florida about 03. Shortly there after I saw one around Lexington, Tn and have seen them here(West Ky) and other parts of Tn. I drive alot and probably see one dead every three months.

7. billproxs

billproxs 12 pointer

Nov 1, 2009
    KENTUCKY LAKE
    There is a dead Armadillo in LBL right now.

It is off of the Trace in the Tennessee portion of LBL, toward the south entrance, I saw it a few days ago.

8. Deer Hunter

Deer Hunter 10 pointer

Dec 6, 2003
    I didn't know that Armadillo's were just now makeing there way into Kentucky ? I am going to tell you that is not a good thing. Here in North West Arkansas we did not have very many Armadillo's back in the early 70's as compared to what we have now. Let me tell you when they take root and multiply like they have done here they will be everywhere. They are nothing but a nussance, you will have them splattered on the highways all of the time and while you are trying to turkey hunt or squirrel hunt you wont be able to walk through the woods without having one of the dang things rustling through the leaves while you are tring to be quite. I don't guess i can say they do alot of damage to anything other than them being a nussance, probably comparible to mice or skunks. They are not just alot of use for them.

9. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
  10. Deer Hunter

Deer Hunter 10 pointer

Dec 6, 2003
    I can not beleave anyone would actually eat one of thoes nasty looking things. But maybe they are good i don't know. I don't think i could. I have always thought that a Beaver would be good to eat but just could not bring myself to try it. Alot of other countrys eat things like horse meat, dog, cat. I guess it is all in what a person was raised to beleave is eatible or not eatible. When i was a kid growing up, a buddy of mine use to coon hunt and his family would eat coons. He always talked about how good baked coon was. Once while we were out hunting we killed a young coon and his Mother baked it for us, i tried it and did not like it.

If Armadillos are good to eat they are easy to get and are always an abundance of them. But i don't have any use for them at all.

11. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke

Once the hide is gone, its all just meat anyway. They eat dang near the same things that a barnyard chicken would ;)

12. Deer Hunter

Deer Hunter 10 pointer

Dec 6, 2003
    Your right about that, but boy they sure are nasty looking criters. I guess maybe it is their shell and just over all appearance that make them stand out. But they might be better than Ribeye's ? Even if they are i still don't think i could choke one down. :D

13. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    I could eat one before I could eat a McDonald's hamburger :D I'm 45 and have never choked one of them down...

14. gatorgrowl

gatorgrowl Spike

Nov 6, 2008
    Orlando Fl
    Armadillos are great fun. We have zillions of them in Florida. Catch one, drill a little hole in the front of his shell, and put a leash on him. Walk him downtown .You will get lots of attention whereever you go. We have done this in hunting camp. Watch their little claws....sharp.
    Gatorgrowl