Are we really are our own worst enemy

ojibwa62

12 pointer
Jul 1, 2018
NOTW
A Hunter’s Worst Enemy

By Matt Staser
"Who are the hunter’s worst enemy? It’s deer season all around and it’s when the worst in hunters really shows its face. It never fails when a lucky hunter shows their success, there will be several that instantly criticize it or the hunter. It can be big or small, some people just have to find something to complain about. Heaven forbid someone shoot a giant. Then the real bashing begins.

Jealousy of others success and egos from hunters that think they are better than all others are the main causes.

Jealousy I can understand. It’s only human nature to be jealous of someone else’s good fortune. We all as hunters dream of that Booner as it comes walking towards us from a distance and laying down that perfect shot. Some dream of it for different reasons. It could be for the true challenge and success of the hunt or for many, it’s the 5 seconds of fame and endless sponsors they think they will get or deserve because they shot one buck. Ok, I am getting onto a whole different topics that is wrong with hunters today. Back to our worst enemy.

The egos of hunters these days is the worst problem. Everyone is a pro and the way they do it is the only way it can be done. That guy says you’re dumb if you shoot any deer that is less than 6 years old. This guy says that any deer with a G2 that is less than 12 5/8″ long is too small. What about those guys that criticize others for the type of weapon they use? All the compound shooters that complain about the crossbow shooters because they can shoot deer across mountain tops like James Bond does. Or how they manage their heard a top secret way that produces world record deer every year?

But to top it all off, we got the criers. We can’t forget the ones that rank right up there with the big egos. These are the ones that will point at everyone’s success and cry foul. Every hunter out there that comes home with a monster must have done it illegally. These are the ones that will say you must have poached it or that deer came from a high fence. Some of these guys will go as far as reporting pics on Facebook and other social media pages because they can’t stand seeing someone else having success. Now I know that in some cases, maybe more than we want to believe, some of these big deer are poached, spotlighted, high fenced or whatever deer. We hear these stories all the time and these hunters are truly giving the rest of us a bad name. But that still doesn’t mean all the others are doing it wrong also.

We as hunters are and always will be in a bigger than life battle with many people in this world that don’t believe in what we are doing. We need to stick together and support each other as a family. Don’t judge another hunter with how they do it as long as it follows the rules. Those hunters have just as much rights as you do. They own the deer just as much as you do. They support conservation just as much as you do. With the direction our country is going and what’s going on in the rest of the world, we are reaching the point where we need to stick together more and more every year. So instead of judging others, support them. Stand beside them as we all believe in the same thing. Don’t be your own worst enemy."

Instead of sticking together, we argue with each other.
I don’t care how big or how small someone’s deer is. I don't care if it's a buck or doe as long as they take it home and harvest it legally. All deer are trophies no matter the size of the rack. We should encourage others to hunt, not discourage them from being proud of the deer they bring out of the woods.

Bubbles

Banned
Oct 25, 2016
For the most part I agree. However, I must admit I do not fit those stereotypes one bit. I hunt for the enjoyment and the meat. If I get one with good horns to go on the wall, that's icing on the cake.

The quest for horn has ruined deer hunting in more ways than one. First, it has commercialized it beyond no return. Secondly, too many people consider a hunt or season a failure of they didnt get a deer with so many inches of antlers. Thirdly, it minimizes that basic enjoyment of being out in the woods to take in all of God's creation. Lastly, it seems to minimize the central purpose of hunting...food.

The jealousy part is people's own character/weakness. You cant please everyone so dont worry about it. I couldnt care less what someone else legally kills but at the same time would say congratulations on any harvest regardless of size.

A lot of this BS is from keyboard warriors who wouldnt dare say it to a person's face. I truly believe that. I wont post anything about anyone that I wouldnt say in person.

crossfire

8 pointer
Jun 13, 2006
Mayfield, Ky
During the rut, much more about being in the right place at the right time and good ol fashion luck than what you know as a deer hunter. The minute you believe you have a wild animal with keen senses of survival "figured out," prepare to become humbled. An analogy to this is I grew up with a basketball in my hands since I was in Kindergarten. Played high school, All-Region, All-State (honorable mention), played college, coached high school for years, and just know the game. However, when the NCAA bracket pools and March Madness begins, I've come to realize that "knowledge" is worthless, it's all about luck, and more times than not someone wins who really doesn't "deserve" to win if you compare the knowledge base, time and effort put into it, etc. Why I keep myself from competing in the woods and just enjoy it for what it is, and if my knowledge happens to cross my luck on any given day and I harvest a nice buck, perfect! If not, it gives me an excuse to go to the woods again tomorrow. That said, I'd be lying if I said it didn't bother me a little when the 180" brute I had on camera in August and bow hunted methodically during pre-rut/rut took a bullet 2nd weekend of gun season on the neighboring farm by a guy from out of town who had no clue that deer existed. Human nature I suppose, but hopefully the big fella had an opportunity to spread his genes a bit by then.

Dan99

6 pointer
Oct 11, 2015
I agree with you. I think the worst thing we do is bitch about "the orange army" though. There are far, far more people who exclusively gun hunt than there are bowhunters. The more I think about it, the more I think gun season should be longer, not because it will improve the quality of hunting, but because it will increase the number of people who hunt. The big threat to hunting is that liberals/animal rights activists will try to ban it. The best way to stop that from happening is to have a large number of people who hunt, and vote to protect hunting. Best of all would be to adopt very long youth seasons like some other states have done. For example, Kansas and Iowa have two week long youth gun seasons in September that precede the opening of archery.

Last edited:

Teach Deer

8 pointer
Aug 4, 2013
Georgetown
There is a lot of truth in this...we are frequently our own worst enemy...

We do need to call out those who create negative images of the sportsman/lady...
Poachers have no place among us...
Trespassers also are not true sportsmen/ladies...
Thieves and saboteurs have no business within our ranks...

We are lovers of nature...
We believe in conservation...
We support each other...
We teach each other...
We learn from each other...
We are assets to landowners...

For me it is a time to commune with the natural world, to climb into a tree stand and sit an hour in the dark twenty feet up, to watch and listen to the woods waking up in the morning, to watch the dawn break the horizon, to hear the owl hoot...

While I do enjoy a good solo hunt, I also enjoy the teaching aspects of the hunt... I take my wife hunting as much as I can... family and friends and co-workers have all shared the woods with me... I showed a co-teacher of mine how to field dress a deer after being invited to hunt on her farm (she wanted a deer for meat, and I was fortunate enough to kill one and give it to her)...

I think everyone occasionally gets a bout of jealousy...it is how we deal with it that defines us...everyone of us has been gifted with the ability to hunt (if some manner) and we need to be thankful...

Fat_Matt

6 pointer
Dec 28, 2011
Elsmere, KY
And heaven forbid somebody not “letting that little one walk”. The way I see it is if you’re not the one buying my license/tags or providing the land I hunt on, then whatever is said is considered null and void. I shoot what I like not what others like. And until we can get back to not worrying about what everyone else says and trying to please everyone then we will continue to be our own enemy.

wademup

12 pointer
Feb 5, 2004
benton, ky, USA.
And heaven forbid somebody not “letting that little one walk”. The way I see it is if you’re not the one buying my license/tags or providing the land I hunt on, then whatever is said is considered null and void. I shoot what I like not what others like. And until we can get back to not worrying about what everyone else says and trying to please everyone then we will continue to be our own enemy.
Exactly

Michigander

8 pointer
Dec 8, 2014
Radcliff
I agree with you. I think the worst thing we do is bitch about "the orange army" though. There are far, far more people who exclusively gun hunt than there are bowhunters. The more I think about it, the more I think gun season should be longer, not because it will improve the quality of hunting, but because it will increase the number of people who hunt. The big threat to hunting is that liberals/animal rights activists will try to ban it. The best way to stop that from happening is to have a large number of people who hunt, and vote to protect hunting. Best of all would be to adopt very long youth seasons like some other states have done. For example, Kansas and Iowa have two week long youth gun seasons in September that precede the opening of archery.
could not agree more. I bow and gun hunt and every time I hear the "orange army" comment from some "holier than thou" it makes me cringe. If guns hunters said time for the "wounding patrol" to hit the woods they would cry foul.