Are there really only 5 rabbit hunters on this forum?

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by rustyspinner21, Dec 17, 2018.

1. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    We had setters up until 8-10 years ago. Got to the point there were no birds to hunt. Switched to beagles. Kill a few rabbits, have a lot of fun doing it. I'll do anything to keep my 82 year old dad going. He still goes 3-4 times a week if the weather allows.

KY Swamp Beagler and 1wildcatfan like this.
  2. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

Season is going pretty good for us. There are 4 or 5 of us that hunt together on a pretty regular basis. We just finished up a trip to Kansas yesterday evening. My legs are cramped from all the walking is why I'm up at this hour reading this. Ended up killing 74 this trip.

KY Swamp Beagler likes this.
  3. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Growing-up in Southwest Indiana, Rabbits were all over the areas I hunted, but that was in the 1960's. Rabbit populations starting to dwindle after the two harsh & snowy winters of 1977-'78. In fact the last Rabbit I bagged was way back in 1992. Farming practices, methods of harvesting crops, and clearing out their natural habitat, plus Coyotes all taken a toll on Rabbits. Here, where I live in Ky now, I see Rabbits only during the Spring and Summer, when Fall comes they are no where to be found.

Ataulbe1 and DH13 like this.
  4. Not enough around here to kill,my buddy hunts my property,well runs his dogs.I told him he could kill them if he wanted.He said it was a good easy place to run the dogs ,wouldnt kill any.When he runs dogs here,i go with him.He said finding rabbits and getting permision,was rare.I can relate, deer is the same lol

5. thumper

thumper 6 pointer

Jul 9, 2008
    Berea, KY
    I love running my beagles and hunting rabbits. I started going with my uncle and grandpa on Thanksgiving day when I was a kid. Now, I go every chance I get. I took a pup of mine and dropped him off at a running pin this morning, to get him started. I plan on running my other dogs tomorrow. Like some of the other guys have said, rabbits are getting harder to find. Actually finding someone to allow you to hunt is the hardest thing, if you can get permission, you can find a few here and there.

6. Trex83

Trex83 Fawn

Dec 27, 2018
    Kentucky
    We are going from east ky to elk county Kansas in February. I saw where you have been several times. We are going through Hickory Creek Outfitters to stay in their lodge and hunt their property. Any advice or what to expect would be greatly appreciated.

7. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

PM sent

8. mountain hunter

mountain hunter Spike

Jan 17, 2010
    Bell County Ky
    I am a target rich environment hunter. Whatever I can hunt at that time is what I try to do. With that being said I mainly hunt deer, turkey and rabbits with an occasional squirrel or coon hunt. I agree with most posters on here as the lack of rabbit hunters pertains to two things and that is keeping and maintaining a good group of dogs to hunt and also lack of good running/hunting grounds.

In East Kentucky we mainly hunt the strip jobs but jumping rabbits can be tough and a lot of the times when you do jump rabbits they tend to go in a hole quick. Something I am sure they have learned to do to evade predators like foxes, bobcats and especially coyotes.

We have a larger group of hunters in eastern Kentucky who do hunt rabbits than in other places but that seems to put more pressure on the rabbits too. Average age is older but their is some in their thirty's and forty's that hunt too. I am in my middle thirty's and try to bring more people into the sport by taking people hunting whenever I get a chance. To me hearing or watching a good dog work a track is as good as it gets when it comes to small game hunting. It doesn't matter if it is a good coon dog, squirrel dog, beagle or or bird dog watching them dogs work and perform is what makes the experience enjoyable.

As for my season so far I have been out about four times and average jumping around 7-9 rabbits per trip. Our best trip we killed six rabbits this past Saturday.

I've hunted many places I would have never hunted otherwise if it wasn't for rabbit hunting and that is probably the best thing about the sport for me. Being able to hunt not only throughout Kentucky but in Tennessee, Indiana and Alabama has made the memories and the hunts last a lifetime. Some of by best hunting buddies I only see once a year on rabbit hunting trips.

Good luck to everyone throughout the rest of rabbit season.

9. Velvet ears

Velvet ears 8 pointer

Nov 6, 2013
    West KY
    My 11 year old shot his first rabbit yesterday. He's been shooting deer, squirrels, turkeys, and clay targets for a couple of years, but just hadn't gotten the chance to connect on a rabbit until yesterday.

49321404_2271583716194813_952238337362493440_n.jpg

KY Swamp Beagler and Chilly like this.
  10. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

Are those cotton tails or swamp rabbits? Might be the picture, but they look pretty big.
    Congrats to you both?

11. Velvet ears

Velvet ears 8 pointer

Nov 6, 2013
    West KY
    Thank you. They are cottons. One on the right is a young one.

12. ky_coal_miner

ky_coal_miner Spike

May 15, 2015
    Clay County Ky
    Im 29
    And rabbit hunt every chance i get! Having a great season so far