Are there any foods you "splurge" on???

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by Lady Hunter, Aug 17, 2018.

1. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    I've been to Japan and have eaten at one of the sushi restaurants where the plates come around on a little track and you take what you want. But sushi in Japan is just raw fish on rice. It's not bad, but I really couldn't tell the difference between the types of fish.

Sushi rolls are an American invention.

bondhu and beauhunter41031 like this.
  2. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky

Yes that’s it. On menus I see it as nigiri. I guess that’s just a broad name for any raw fish on rice. I just stick with the tuna I have not had good success with some of the other raw fish so far.

We did order seaweed paper, wasabi, ginger and The little bamboo roller thing, my best girl likes making rolls for us sometimes. Walmart usually has smoked salmon slices and lump crab meat in seafood section that she puts avocados and cucumber with. I think it’s kind of fun making our own but We need some more practice

Nock likes this.
  3. beauhunter41031

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky

I would love to have that opportunity. I’ve got this crazy curiosity about fresh seafood. I guess I watch Too many adventures shows but everything I see those crazy Asians eat it I want to try

4. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    With sushi in the US, be aware of anything that is called white tuna/butterfish/waloo/walu/maguro/escolar. Its all escolar--a type of fish that contains a chemical that does not agree with the human digestive system.

From wikipedia:

Escolar's wax ester content can cause keriorrhea (Greek: flow of wax), gempylotoxism or gempylid fish poisoning.[4] Symptoms range from stomach cramps to rapid loose bowel movements, occurring 30 minutes to 36 hours following consumption.[5] This condition may also be referred to as steatorrhea.

5. beauhunter41031

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky

Damn you. I’m going to be scared every time I go out now. Thank you for the information though

6. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    Just bring an extra pair of underwear and pants and you'll be good to go.

beauhunter41031 likes this.
  7. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Most sushi restaurants have a sashimi dish or a chirashi bowl. Which is a variety or different fish that can be put on sushi rich. Sometimes sashimi comes without rice and i ask for a bowl of sushi white sticky rice. Usually 3 pieces of 6-7 different fish and you can get a good variety for 25-30$ to learn what you like.

beauhunter41031 likes this.
  8. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    I eat first. Ask questions later.

barney and drakeshooter like this.
  9. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    I love that stuff! Best stuff ever for stuffy noses!

10. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    I came to work one day and a old tool maker said hey I got something for you to try. He said key lime pudding and boy it's good as he handed me a spoon. as I just dipped the spoon in it he said gettcha a big spoonful. I said it looks like wasabi sauce and I love the stuff. He got to laughing and said him and the wife where at the China Star In Morehead eating. As he keep filling his plate he couldn't help noticing the green key lime pudding when he was ready for dessert he took a soup bowl and filled it up and returned to his table. He took a spoonful that bill cosby would've been proud of and shoved her in. His breath left and he commenced to hyperventilating, eyes watering and had fell to the floor under the table. Folks gathered around thinking he was choking. He's wife had no clue what was going on. The chinese owners wanted them to leave before he died. Girl at the front desk ask shall I call 911 the old tool maker finally got out no. To this day I get a chuckle out of the key lime pudding at china star

Feedman, Nock and barney like this.
  11. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Damn,
    I worked the state fair last Thursday. Saturday around 10 started feeling funny. Then it was on. Worse than any colonoscopy.
    Went on all Saturday afternoon an Saturday night into Sunday morning.
    I did not eat any fish or sushi but got a very through gut cleaning.

12. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I hate crap like that.

Feedman likes this.
  13. I eat out as much as in and a few times a year get that 2-3 day loose as a goose, stinking butt cleansing you’re speaking of.

Feedman and barney like this.
  14. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    House of 'Cue in Irvine. Best BBQ I've ever had and they give you enough food to make you miserable and still have a snack for later.
    25657.jpeg

Munson, Nock, bondhu and 2 others like this.