Archie Stahl Firearms

predator1

12 pointer
Dec 25, 2008
Glasgow,Ky
Not too many real gunsmiths either. I can tell you/him that the stock was removed from the rifle and sold. I did it. My uncle wanted to make it more shootable due to the physical size of that huge old Fajen stock. It was 4 maybe 5 inches wide at the forearm. I kept it for a while and built an old Mauser bench gun for myself on it. Same problem for me and a Mauser action, as good as they were for hunting rifles, just aren't competitive with more modern actions and equipment of today, but it was still fun. I think I shot it as a 6PPC for a while on that stock.

It truly is a small world and I doubt he did many like that one but I have no idea if it was the only one or not. Archie was a good man and a popular smith in this area, especially during the '70's. Being in the same line of work as him, for as many years as I have been, and in the same area, it's natural that I'd have more familiarity with his stuff than most, but not all. Some of his good customers became good customers of mine after Archie was no longer able to work.
I still have a rifle Bill Hadley in Glasgow did for me before he retired. He too is now long gone. He did some great work.

mwezell

12 pointer
Jan 22, 2006
Auburn, KY
I still have a rifle Bill Hadley in Glasgow did for me before he retired. He too is now long gone. He did some great work.
I remember Bill, too. IIRC, one of my lathes came from his shop. Actually bought two and kept one of them. Shoulda kept both but didn't. I wound up buying a different machine later that is a great little South Bend Heavy 10. Not big enough for some things but is a super accurate little lathe and I still have the bigger machine from Bill's. Hard to imagine regretting buying a good lathe. They just let me do so many things that would be impossible otherwise. Chambering bbls is a relatively simple machining job and you can learn to do the work yourself, with some time and such. Beyond that though, they're just so handy.
I bought a Sako AV stainless magnum receiver and a few other things at his sale later. Something else I wish I'd kept.

edit...On second thought, I didn't buy that lathe from Bill but another smith that was out near the lake but his name isn't coming to me right now.

predator1

12 pointer
Dec 25, 2008
Glasgow,Ky
I remember Bill, too. IIRC, one of my lathes came from his shop. Actually bought two and kept one of them. Shoulda kept both but didn't. I wound up buying a different machine later that is a great little South Bend Heavy 10. Not big enough for some things but is a super accurate little lathe and I still have the bigger machine from Bill's. Hard to imagine regretting buying a good lathe. They just let me do so many things that would be impossible otherwise. Chambering bbls is a relatively simple machining job and you can learn to do the work yourself, with some time and such. Beyond that though, they're just so handy.
I bought a Sako AV stainless magnum receiver and a few other things at his sale later. Something else I wish I'd kept.

edit...On second thought, I didn't buy that lathe from Bill but another smith that was out near the lake but his name isn't coming to me right now.
Not sure about anyone towards the lake. Used to be another one outside of Columbia heading towards Russel Springs that did some work for me once. Bill Hadley is who told me about him when he retired. Think his name is Bill Cundiff.

Last edited:

Latest posts