AR info

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by Brsutton86, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    I've never owned or been around ARs much. Have an interest in getting one just in case they get the ban hammer again. What would you recommend in the 8 hundred range budget or below for a .223. Buds gun shop highly recommended a smith for best bang on the dollar but it was a touch over a grand. I've found a few used Colts in the 8-9 range. Chrome lined barrel a must? Thanks in advance for advice.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  2. scoffman

scoffman Spike

Oct 27, 2011
    Windham weaponry, it was and still is the original Bushmaster manufacturing facility complete with original tools and machinery. The new bushmaster's are junk in regards to reliability and build quality.

3. stevenvalleyagain

stevenvalleyagain 10 pointer

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    I had the same question a couple years ago for the people at shooters supply in louisville. Smith advertises that they are good for lefties but the gun counter guy said the DPMS was better as its the least likely to split a lefties face with the forward assist. I was told they are basically all the same except some have a chrome lined barrel which is supposed to last longer but be less accurate. I shot a smith, colt and dpms and they all seemed about the same to me. I have seen a bunch in the $500-600 range.

4. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    I picked up my M&P 2 from buds for $700 ish after taxes a few months ago. Love that thing. Haven't had a problem and I've been shooting it a lot. Put a scope on it and I'm surprised by the accuracy with chepo fmj 55 grainers.

5. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    The s&w m&p sport is good value, can be had around 600, hard to build a cheap AR for much under that. Lefties should look at Stag, they make an actual left handed upper receiver.
    For a grand I would prob get a new colt 6920.

aceoky likes this.
  6. Smokin9mm

Smokin9mm 6 pointer

Dec 3, 2014
    Lexington
    Lots of great manufacturers out there nowadays. Check out Palmetto State Armory. And chrome lined barrels are not a deal breaker. Much better options out there

7. inchr48

inchr48 10 pointer

May 14, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I'm no AR expert, but I'd get one chambered in 5.56 so you could shoot both ammo, 223 or 5.56. Lots of ones available in your price range.

8. Smokin9mm

Smokin9mm 6 pointer

Dec 3, 2014
    Lexington
    You can shoot both .223 and 5.56 out of a .223 Wylde barrel as well

9. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    It's not the barrel, it's the chamber where the size difference is.

10. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

This is just my opinion. I own two DPMS and have shot five or six other brands. I for one couldn't tell a difference in all of them except when it came to triggers. My DPMS's have had 1000's of rounds through them and I have never experienced a FTF, FTF, FTE, and I have never had to use the forward assist. I have fed some junk ammo through them as well with no issue. Based on the premise for buying one that you stated look at a DPMS Oracle. It is a base model AR with out a forward assit, sights and dust cover. Cost you maybe $650. Spend the other $150 bucks on a basic red dot sight and you will be zombie ready.

11. kymailman98

kymailman98 10 pointer

Dec 20, 2009
    Christian County
    Most any of the brands that are built to mil-spec will function properly. The biggest gripe that I have against the AR's is that most of them have horrible triggers. I prefer a light trigger pull on all my rifles, and replace the triggers on the ones I shoot the most. If I didn't have an AR, and wanted to buy one, I'd pass on the entry level rifles and buy a Rock River. They aren't all that much more than an entry level gun, and they are quality rifles. I really don't like a 2 stage trigger, but the RR triggers are better than what you'll find on other brands.

12. bdbrown66

bdbrown66 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    If you don't want to drop $200 on a drop-in trigger replacement, you can get about 90% of the way there for about $30, by installing lighter hammer and trigger springs and a trigger take-up screw, which replaces the grip screw. I've done it, and the difference is dramatic. The only downside is that ammo with hard primers will not fire reliably. It hasn't been a problem with any of the commercial US stuff that I've tried, or my reloads with normal primers. The only thing that gave me problems was some of my reloads with CCI #41 primers. If you want the details on this setup, let me know.

13. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    I've sent messages with my phone # to 3 different people on armslist. Been a few days and never got a response from any of them. Guess I'll have to look at the local stores.

14. kymailman98

kymailman98 10 pointer

Dec 20, 2009
    Christian County
    I put lighter springs in a Glock, trying to reduce the trigger pull, and had a problem with some primers. In my AR's, I fire a variety of ammo. All of my hunting ammo is reloads, while most everything else is surplus. I usually catch the Rock River triggers on sale, and buy a couple at a time. I use Timneys in the AR's I hunt with. While I definitely prefer a light trigger pull, the number one requirement is that gun must go "bang" every time.

15. bdbrown66

bdbrown66 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Understood. I've tried reloads with Remington 7 1/2 primers, CCI #450, and CCI #41, plus a variety of commercial ammo. The only thing I had any problem with at all was the #41 primers. Everything else has functioned flawlessly, with about 100 rounds down the pipe. This is a target and varmint rifle, so I'm not going to sweat it. Unless I see a problem with other primers, it won't be an issue for me.