AR advice

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by Racer1, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Racer1

Racer1 6 pointer

Feb 5, 2009
    Mayfield
    I'm going to be getting my first AR very soon. I am not looking to spend a whole lot. I have been considering the DPMS Oracle, Bushmaster ORC, and the M&P (all in 5.56). I am getting one mainly for predator hunting but also plinking. Anyone have any advice/experience with these? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    I reccomended a friend the mp15 sport, cuz its inexpensive but quality, he got it and it is very reliable, never missed yet, no trap door or fwd assist, but i dont see that as a prob.

3. DUCKY41051

DUCKY41051 6 pointer

Jul 22, 2008
    my next one will be an Anderson arms, they are made in Hebron Ky. I kinda like to support the local boys when I can, and there quality is great.

4. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    Another vote for M&P if you are budget minded.

5. furd

furd 6 pointer

Nov 20, 2012
    n.ky
    Built mine with a M&P lower. Never had a problem with it.

6. Drew6859

Drew6859 Fawn

Jul 13, 2014
    Eastern ky
    I have owned two dpms oracles and shot thousands or rounds with no problem and very accurate. Another to consider is buds gun shop has a good deal on Adams arms ar-15s which are piston operated instead of the gas block system.

7. Racer1

Racer1 6 pointer

Feb 5, 2009
    Mayfield
    I bought a M&P Sport 2 today. They added the forward assist and dust cover to the new sport model. Picked it up for 595 which I was happy about!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    Good luck and well wear.

9. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    nice that is a pretty good price point with the new options.

10. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Congrats on your purchase..... and would be very interested in your thoughts on it when you get a chance to fire it up.

Which not trying to hi-jack the thread....but I've never owned an AR and the bug has bitten me for the last couple months. Definitely a want more than a need ....but just looking for one to play around with... maybe use on occasion to yote hunt or mostly punch paper. Not looking for the best or 3- gun competition grade model. Would like to keep it under $600 ... just a good dependable entry level gun.

You have bought one on my short list of 3 that I'm considering. Just trying to figure out what I want. But here's my cut as of now.

1. S&W M&P 15- Sport II .... chrome lined barrel.... 1-9 twist... forward assist / dust cover. ( chrome lined barrel is the attractor to me primarily) ... ones I've looked at .... right at the $600 price range to slightly above on the ones I've looked at.

2. Ruger AR556- model 8500 .... moly chrome barrel but 1-8 twist. ...forward assist / dust cover ... chromed bolt carrier. ( like the faster twist to shoot the heavier grain bullets ). Priced comparable .... $560- 590 range. Have not fondled one as every where I've looked been out of stock.

3. DPMS Oracle 5.56 .... no good reason other than price....I can buy one locally new for $477. Has forward assist / dust cover , moly chromed barrel with 1-9 twist. Have read more good than bad on the net ... $100 + difference could be put toward optics / upgrades / mags/ ammo....ect. Looked at one today ... don't know much about any of them ... but nothing jumped out on the Oracle that was obvious to make me think it's better or worse for what I'm looking for in an AR. It's bare bones but figure whatever I decide....I will want to change a few things..

Definitely no hurry to buy .... but no doubt confused on what I want.

11. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    If you are looking to shoot just normal 55-62 gr pills any of those will do the trick well. Above 62gr you kinda get into that area where you want a faster twist rate, but from what you are talking about any of those three will do the trick. if you are going to be Yote hunting with it. I really love my Nikon p-223 4-12x40. I got it barely used for $150 I think. I built mine off a DPMS lower.

12. Racer1

Racer1 6 pointer

Feb 5, 2009
    Mayfield
    Ran a clip through it today and was very happy with it. Could put every round in a 6 inch circle at 50 yards with iron sights without any effort. Can't wait to get a scope on it!

13. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    You own an AR now, gotta use the correct terminology, its a magazine, a clip is used in rifles like the m1 Garand.

Attached Files:

14. Racer1

Racer1 6 pointer

Feb 5, 2009
    Mayfield
    Annnnnd that's why I rarely post here

15. WILD

WILD 12 pointer

Sep 7, 2009
    hick town,ky
    Dpms out of those 3 for sure imo