Ar-15 optics

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by BowOnly, Jan 11, 2016.

1. BowOnly

BowOnly 8 pointer

Mar 6, 2008
    Getting my first ar(5.56), looking for options on optics. I know i want something that can be shot with both eyes open but I like the idea of some magnification too. I found a Leopold vx-6 1-6x24 with fire dot reticle but $1,200 is out of my range.

Any other options, say under $500?

2. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    I know what you're trying to say, but any scope should allow you to shoot with both eyes open. The key to it is the scope being mounted in the right location, both fore and aft, and at the right height. AR's can be a little tricky in this regard, depending on the stock mostly. No need in spending a lot of money to fix that aspect as it's not likely the scope that has caused you trouble shooting with both eyes open. The hardest guns to get right in this regard are usually guns intended for open sights, such as many of the lever action rifles out there. The stock on them puts your head and eyes too low to see through a scope without having to "hunt" for a picture. A raised cheek pad or similar helps a lot of times.

3. BowOnly

BowOnly 8 pointer

Mar 6, 2008
    By both eyes open I meant something with little to no magnification on the low end.

4. Jman

Jman 8 pointer

Feb 14, 2003
  5. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    Doesn't matter if it's 1x or 80x. If you can't shoot with both eyes open, it's not because of the scope itself. Now, if you were talking about wing shooting or similar, it does help for the view in the scope to be near 1x..actually they say 1.25+/- a tad, to speed up target aquisition in the scope. The tad bit over 1x is supposed to help with focusing with the eye being aided by optics.
    Nevertheless, get what you want and works for you. I'm just saying, since you mentioned getting a scope that didn't fit your budget in hopes that it would fix the issue of being able to shoot with both eyes open..that it doesn't matter how much it costs. Sure, some scopes have a little longer eye relief and "eye box", but that's small potatoes to the fact that all scopes work the same way in this regard.

I shoot with both eyes open, always, with up to 80x magnification. There is very little difference in this regard, 1x or 80x.

It's things like this that make "wasting" your money with a good smith on a custom, that make a lot of difference in a gun..without regard for a better, and more accurate gun.
    This is a another example of me trying to offer free professional advice..but someone has to look a gift horse in the mouth and argue about it. Just get what works for you.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  6. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    I have a bushnell elite 4200 1.25-4x24 iluminated #4 recticle, works good for what your looking for, I like that scope for ar or deer hunting with my slug gun.
    I never owned one but you might also check out the Burris Euro diamond 1.5-6x40, for what you want.

7. kymailman98

kymailman98 10 pointer

Dec 20, 2009
    Christian County
    I hunt with most of my AR's, and have higher powered scopes on them, probably higher magnification that you are looking for. I do have an AR that has a Nikon P223 on it, and I like it. It's 3 powered, BDC reticle, designed for a 16 inch barrel AR. Check it out.

8. oscar10

oscar10 Fawn

May 27, 2015
    Lexington Ky
    What are you going to use the ar for??

9. BowOnly

BowOnly 8 pointer

Mar 6, 2008
    Defense, plinking steel mostly under 200 yards, coyotes, and maybe let the kids shoot an occasional doe with it.

I'll shoot it for a while with flip up irons to get used to them.

I'm torn between red dot and low powered scope.

10. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    You basically get both in one scope with the elite, or euro diamond above.

11. BowOnly

BowOnly 8 pointer

Mar 6, 2008
    The Burris appears to be discontinued and I don't know if I could bring myself to pay $450 for a Bushnell.

But that's definitely like what I'm interested in.

12. RDL270

RDL270 Cyber-Hunter

Apr 14, 2003
    Fern Creek KY
    Scott, I put the Burris on mine if you would like to see it. Stop by the house or I can bring it up the club.

13. Coom

Coom Fawn

Feb 17, 2014
    The Vortex Sparc is getting solid reviews if you want the red dot route. Could add a magnifier later.

14. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    I keep an aimpoint pro on my hd ar, dot is always on, batts last forever.
    Maybe go that route, scope one ar and red dot another.