AR-15 for hunting

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by artcarney_agr, Oct 4, 2012.

1. artcarney_agr

artcarney_agr Banned

Oct 9, 2007
    That's kind of what I thought. El cheapo ammo for plinking and playing, but get some good quality rounds for the critters.

2. 30-30

30-30 8 pointer

Aug 26, 2011
    please dont over look the [email protected] 15 from smith and wesson, i have one with the 5r rifleing and it is more accurate then i am, wont cost an arm and leg kinda under priced for what they are

and i am shooting the 16 inch barrell (chambered in 5.56 nato) with a 3x9 on top if you get one with the front sight you can still mount a scope with out removing that sight as it wont be seen right in front of the scope,

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  3. DPMS is a very good choice. If you want to deer hunt with your .223 I would use Federal 60gr Nosler Partition or Hornady Superformance 55 gr GMX. You will have no trouble killing a deer with either of those two (good coyote medicine too) but I like the 53 gr Hornady Superformance for coyotes.

4. mike243

mike243 Spike

Apr 2, 2007
    E Tn
    I bought a bushmaster patrol carbine so it looks like several of use will learn some new lessions this season lol.bought some 62g fusions to try out,good reviews on the other caliburs so hope they work for the grandkids

5. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    i bought the R-25 in .243. fun to play with.

6. Glendale John

Glendale John 6 pointer

I use an AR for coyote hunting so one can get multiple shots rapidly. Bushmaster,DPMS,Rock River Arms are all good. Figure $800-1100 by the time you get it to the field to use not including a scope. I still prefer my bolt for long range shooting and for deer. A .308 would work for you.Nikon is making a new scope for AR's which I'd like to have and you can get a custom elevation turret to fit your load from them.

7. KYBuckeye

KYBuckeye 6 pointer

Sep 2, 2012
    Harrison County
    I got myself a Double Star .223 and plan on harvesting a deer with it in November. SPARC 2x magnifier red dot and a quad rail with rubber hand guards to reduce any accidental noise while moving it around. Shooting Federal 55gr soft point rounds. Been explained to me its not the size of the round but the placement of your shot. I figure if I keeps my shots to the vitals within 100 yards, it should be a quick/ethical kill.

8. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    i'll throw this out there, you may want to look at a partition or barnes bullet load. the majority of the factory loaded bullets for the 223 and 22-250's are not designed for the larger boned animals. i'm sure someone on here has taken a deer with a varmint round in their 223, it's just not recommended.

9. I built mine for under just a shade under 600 with GOOD parts not the ones found on 600 dollar factory guns. If you know kinda what to look for and network around, AR guys are worse than bow guys they will sell you top notch stuff discounted just to get the new hot thing. I went with the 20 inch heavy barrel, Round free float hand guard 6 position adjustable stock and flat top upper.

10. beards-n-bone

beards-n-bone 10 pointer

Nov 12, 2008
    Pulaski Co.
    This may sound dumb, but I don't know squat about ar rifles....since a .308 and a .243 are the same size brass, can you get 2 barrells for the same action and just switch them out depending on what you wanted to shoot?

11. Quickdraw Limpsalot

Quickdraw Limpsalot 12 pointer

Sep 16, 2005
    Larue Co.
    You can, but it's not practical and i'd expect it would wear out your upper receiver/barrel nut junction quickly. What IS practical is having two different uppers (upper receiver, barrel, forend, optics ...all assembled) for those two rounds that can both use the same lower and bolt carrier group. Pop two pins & remove upper, move BCG to other upper, put new upper on & push pins back in & it's ready (ammo not included.)

12. artcarney_agr

artcarney_agr Banned

Oct 9, 2007
    What do you guys think about purchasing a used one?

I came across this one:
    3yr old DPMS AR-15 AP4, 5.56 NATO/.223
    about 5,000 rounds through it
    EOTech holographic sight
    8 magazines
    1 hard case
    1 soft case

13. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    Depends on the price. Figure the barrel is half gone..at least, because it sounds like it may have belonged to a 3gun shooter.
    That game can be pretty hard on guns, but they generally will be good and reliable guns because they have to be in that game. I love the EOTechs, but not so much for hunting purposes. You can buy a new barrel for about $200. You may or may not be happy with how it shoots, so see if he'll let ya shoot it first. So, how much is he asking?

14. artcarney_agr

artcarney_agr Banned

Oct 9, 2007
    I was thinking along the same line about the barrel being considered half gone. Also concerned about whether or not the grouping would be decent at 100 to 150 yards.
    The sight doesn't interest me, and he made a point to tell me that it cost him $400 new...it would probably go on eBay pretty quick if I bought the package.
    Before I say what his asking price is, what do you think the package value should be around?

15. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    Impossible to say. AR's simply come in too many variations...somewhere between $650 and $3000 with the EOTech. He's right about the price on it. That's about where they started a few years ago.