Anyone use the ONX HUNT ap?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by 93chromedaytona, Oct 11, 2019.

1. 93chromedaytona

93chromedaytona Spike

Nov 20, 2014
    I toyed with it a little last year and finally purchased it this year. My wind setting says its been a 7mph west wind for about 3 weeks in a row. I e-mailed/called and they said the 3rd party weather location that they get their info from is down and has been down for months. No clue when it will be up. I am in Northern KY and the REP from ONX said they location they use that is down, is located in Falmouth. Just wondering if anyone else in northern KY has noticed this.

As additional info.....They ap is very nice, but sort of useless for me without the wind being accurate. I know I can go to other aps, but I shouldn't need to after spending $30 on the ap. ONX customer service said I would have to get my refund through google since it was bought in the play store. Google says they have a 48hr refund policy. They accept the payment, and then turn the money over to ONX after 48hrs. They said to call ONX. I called ONX, they said there was absolutely no way for them to give me a refund since they never accepted money from me. They can do refunds through Apple, but not the Google play store at this time. Needless to say, I wanted to reach through the phone at this point because that is a horrible setup. About that time, the ONX customer service guy offered me a pretty good offer as far as extending my service at no extra cost. So....from one point their customer service was horrible (yet always polite)....and from one point it was wonderful!

2. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    I have used it for a few years , you have to watch out because at times the property boundaries are not even close. But overall I like the app for giving a rough idea on lines the size of a property and the owner's name as long as it hasn't sold in the last year or two.

3. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I used it for two years, found it to not be accurate, definitely not worth the money. I use antler insanity. Free app. Doesn't show property boundaries though.

4. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I use it and like it. As far as I can tell the boundaries in my area are correct.

5. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    I will say they are close in some cases but in others quite a bit off, my own property for instance which has been surveyed and I have an arial with the lines , the onX shows my east and west property lines almost 100', off my west line goes through my neighbors pasture according to onX and the Eastern line goes well beyond a creek , the Creek is the line..

I would just advise use with caution, when I am in doubt I go to the county and get plats for the land I am hunting.

6. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    the biggest issue I saw was who owned what..... lagged behind quite a bit when property changed hands....

ojibwa62 likes this.
  7. i use free Huntwise app the only 2 farms i hunt approx. 900 ac combined but 15 miles apart i know the boundaries well use it for wind mostly and its always pretty accurate in my area

8. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    I use onyx but i catch myself using huntstand more often. Weather and wind. And proprty lines and owners and its free

Ben Allgood and Southpaw like this.
  9. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    The weather station in Falmouth hasn't worked for over a year. If you want to know what the wind is in NKY,
    call 859 767 8210. That's the automated weather at CVG, and is updated every minute. It give the wind in degrees, meaning, North is 000, East 090, South 180, and West 270. Speed is given in knots. You then have to determine what each direction of wind does at your particular stand site. I right them down every time I go in my hunt log. For example, the last time I was at the stand I'm going to tomorrow, the wind was 230 at 12 knots. (SW at 14mph), but the compass direction from my stand, because of terrain, was roughly 280, which was down the valley.

ojibwa62 likes this.
  10. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    same here. no problems with boundaries.

11. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    i need flight lessons to figure that out.

Southpaw, dirtstalker and muddhunter like this.
  12. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    lol

13. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Hunt stand is free. I like it. No way in hell would i accept no refund. If you used a cc dispute the payment and get your money back.

woodsman92 likes this.
  14. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    I had it through a couple free trials and used it a fair amount. It’s pretty close here.
    One thing I really liked it for was maps of public land.

SummertimeCarl likes this.
  15. woodsman92

woodsman92 6 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    I use HuntStand and like it pretty well especially since it’s free. As far as I can tell the boundaries are really close on the properties I’ve checked it on. And as for public land I use the explorer arcgris app.