anyone use the cheaper electronic calls?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by charliehustle86, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Neck Banded Coot

Neck Banded Coot 6 pointer

Jan 4, 2006
    Berea, KY
    I have an alpha dog that ran me about 250. It eats batteries.... Rechargeable were worth the money.
    It does good and I have killed 25 or so over it since last year.
    I added a foxjack to it w some creative rigging.
    It is a good call.... It is no foxpro.
    I will upgrade when the time comes

2. ducknbuckhunter

ducknbuckhunter 10 pointer

Aug 3, 2005
    Owensboro/Murray
    Hunted the past two weeks just about every afternoon and still on same set of batteries on the ico tech. I say that and next outing they will die, but I've been pretty happy. Although have only killed 1 dog.

3. Coyote_Commander

Coyote_Commander Spike

Nov 25, 2013
    Manchester, Ky
    I have killed coyotes with a Flextone Echo HD

4. GregDeer77

GregDeer77 6 pointer

Oct 22, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I saw a clip on Kentucky Outdoors where they should you how to build your own electronic call for under $25 using an old ipod and a used public address speaker. Has anyone ever tried this?

5. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    With all the electronic calls the yotes are hearing everyday, I'm tempted to go back to my mouth calls. Ive always thought there was some kind of advantage in something unique.
    But what got me interested in them was a way to get the call away from me and my scent and that's still the biggest advantage of all.

6. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    I wish foxpro would make a remote for people with vision challenges. I can barely see the display even with my glasses and rough conditions make it near impossible.
    Another reason I will end up back on the mouth calls.

7. bdbrown66

bdbrown66 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    I recently purchased one of the ICOTEC GC300 calls from Amazon.com. Price was $65 with free shipping. Took it out for the first time yesterday morning. Called for about an hour at my first set, with no luck. So I moved on down the ridge about 1/3 to 1/2 mile, and set up overlooking a deep hollow. Set the call and my decoy off to the side about 25-30 yards and started calling. A minute or two of howls, and then switched over to cottontail distress. In less than 5 minutes I had called in a triple. Popped one of them in the chest with my .22 mag. He staggered but ran off and I wasn't able to recover him. Next time I will bring the .22-250, but the call certainly did it's job. For less than $70, it seems to be a bargain.

8. You should try looking at the TX-1000 remote that f0xpr0 has. First remote I can read and see clearly and I have owned a lot of callers over the last three decades.

I can barely see better than Stevie or Ray and the TX-1000 is an easy read for me.

9. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    The Icotechs work like a charm. I've been using one for 3 years now. They've got more than enough sounds to call in coyotes, foxes and bobcats.