Anyone use a 20 gauge?

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
I use 16ga standard Full. Apex TSS #9’s. My daughter uses 410 standard full choke #9 Apex Turkey Ninjas.

If that 410 will stone a gobbler at 40yds you just need to find a choke and load you like the pattern of and your good to go.

The 20ga Longbeard XR 5 or 6’a are a good load to try on a budget. TSS if you want to spend $ and guarantee a pattern at any reasonable distance through about any choke.

CalebConn16

6 pointer
May 27, 2016
Bought one of the stevens 301’s and used it this year. Light as hell and very easy to maneuver. Used Federal TSS 7-9 stoned the only bird I got a shot at. Anything closer than 20 you’re basically shooting a rifle. this is with the stock choke. May buy a couple this year to try out but tss is stupid expensive

turkeyhunter91

12 pointer
Apr 3, 2007
My dad,stepson and myself have used a 20 for several years. I have used carlson, truglo, sumtoy and hs undertaker chokes through some of my 20s. I have tried several variety of shells. Federal 3" #5s with flight control wad, and Winchester long beards have been the lead loads I have had the best patterns with. I shot federal heavyweight 7s for years and I switched to tss #9s a couple years ago, I used the federal for 1 year and last year I started loading my own. Last season I killed both of mine and my dad killed both of his with shells I loaded. if you have any questions just let me know.

RLWEBB

12 pointer
Nov 30, 2005
Staffordsville, KY
Franchi Affinity 20 gauge with the Hevi Shot brand choke tube. I’ve killed birds to a ranged 50 yards with the Federal Heavy Weight 7. Those loads are no longer being produced and I used my last one a bird this past Spring. I’ve either got to switch over to TSS and likely a Carlson’s tube or get some Heavy Weight 7 from Gun Broker. Got to start figuring out what I’m going to do soon. I was using a 20 gauge Encore with Nitro loads and an Indian Creek .555 tube way before the 20 gauge and .410 craze came about.

turkeyhunter91

12 pointer
Apr 3, 2007
Franchi Affinity 20 gauge with the Hevi Shot brand choke tube. I’ve killed birds to a ranged 50 yards with the Federal Heavy Weight 7. Those loads are no longer being produced and I used my last one a bird this past Spring. I’ve either got to switch over to TSS and likely a Carlson’s tube or get some Heavy Weight 7 from Gun Broker. Got to start figuring out what I’m going to do soon. I was using a 20 gauge Encore with Nitro loads and an Indian Creek .555 tube way before the 20 gauge and .410 craze came about.
I was leary when I first switched from the heavyweight 7s to tss but those #9 tss have really impressed me and I wouldn't want to switch back. We still have a box or 2 of the 7s that we shoot through a couple guns but if nothing happens when those shells are gone we will be shooting tss through them also.

alldaydust

Fawn
Feb 28, 2010
I bought a stoeger 20 last year, with a Carlson Longbeard choke and #5 xr I’d have no issue shooting one at 40. I killed one with it last year at 15 steps, worked fine on him!

KY_Fried

12 pointer
Nov 13, 2003
Foster, KY, USA.
My first dozen or so turkeys were killed with a 20 gauge/.22 over under with a standard full choke. They were all just as dead as the ones I killed with my fancy new 12 gauge.

RLWEBB

12 pointer
Nov 30, 2005
Staffordsville, KY
I was leary when I first switched from the heavyweight 7s to tss but those #9 tss have really impressed me and I wouldn't want to switch back. We still have a box or 2 of the 7s that we shoot through a couple guns but if nothing happens when those shells are gone we will be shooting tss through them also.
I’ll take those 7’s off your hands gladly :)

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
I feel a little bit out leagued comparing what I use and what u guys use, lol.
Nah, your good.

I use a 1914 model 16gauge SXS loaded with paper shells about half the time… killed a bird last year at 72 inches. I started with a modified choke 2 3/4 Ithaca 51, pellets head to feet but dead was dead then, still is now.

I don’t think the shotgun/choke/shell you use improves our calling or how you set up.