Anyone tried night time coyote yet?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Jacobhwrd, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    Has anyone had a chance to try out the night time coyote yet? I am hoping to give it a shot as soon as i get a day off. Any tricks i should now about before hand?

2. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    I might be entirely incorrect, but I think nights without a lot of moon are best. Full moon nights and they can see you like it is 12 NOON.

3. Whistle Pig Assassin

Whistle Pig Assassin Fawn

Jan 20, 2014
    It is a lot of fun. But it is still very hard. They are so very smart.... It's still hard to get them to come in without winding you, and if they do they bark/howl and alert all of the other ones around. Be careful with the lights too.... no matter what kind of light you use, they don't like it. I try not to use a light until I mean to shoot. Wait till you catch a glimpse of them coming..... or hear them. Good luck.

4. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    Wish we had a snow on right now. Snow and a moon as bright as last night and you don't need a light. Use a white sheet to hide. What I have seen is they get to about 60 yards and circle down wind. Even if they are comin right at you across an open field. Just to far with the shotgun.

5. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    Yeah i have been trying to do as much research as i can about it since i didnt get to try last year (found out 3 days after lights where legal) and all i am sure of at this point is to basicly that nights with a lot of moon light they will be in more woods then open fields since their pray stays in there during those light conditions. I am getting excited though. Not sure how easy it is to do solo though. Going to have to figure out how to run a light remote and be ready to shoot all at the same time.

6. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    I'm no expert and like everybody else last year was the first time I went out at night in Ky. But I did go out a few times with family members that live in Pennsylvania years ago. Going by what they told me and what others on night hunting web sites have told me I was able to kill several coyotes last year and this year. So I though I'd put a couple things down that I've learned, now it might be all wrong but here goes.

Think about this, a coyote can run full speed though the woods in a moonless cloudy night. If he can do that and not run into trees then he sure as heck can see us walking in the dark with or without lights. We are NOT hiding from him by keeping our lights off, he is hiding from us, we can't see in the dark but he can. For that reason I ALWAYS keep my scan light on from the time I leave my truck to the time I return.

ALWAYS use the "halo" of the light to scan for the eyes, keep the light above then and use the bottom halo of the light. Another thing. A coyote cannot see behind that light and neither can we. Tonight go out back, walk about 50 yards from your porch and have your wife shine a flashlight above your head. She can see you but you cannot see her behind that light ever if she shines it above you head. The minute she moves the light to the side or turns it off then you can see her again.

Now knowing those two when I get to a farm to night hunt BEFORE I ever go out across and field, either on an ATV or walk, I will scan the entire field for eyes. If I spot eyes I'll try to make my way closer to them but not much, I will use any bush, grown up fence rolls, dips in the land to keep them from seeing too much.. I will NOT go far at all, just to a good place to set up and stop there. It might be 50 yards or less.

I DO want some kind of background bush, tree, etc, behind me for two reasons. I don't want something coming up right behind me, if it has to be I want it off to the sides of me so I can have a chance to see and shoot. The other one is as I scan I move my head from left to right and back, the scan light is mounted on my cap, the shooting/kill light is on my shot gun.

I like to stand up when calling at night so I'll have my shot gun on my Primo's tripod, the caller will be right in front of me. The coyotes will be hunting and looking for the sound and by having it in front of me they are always looking right at me and I'll have the best chance not to miss their eyes. If they were looking away from me I could miss their eyes. Remember they CANNOT see me because my light is on. Once I spot eyes I stay with them until they are in range then and only then do I hit the pressure swich to turn on my shooting light. With the more powerful light I can make a good ID of them making sure they are what I'm after and I shoot.

7. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Wildcat.
    You sure sound like an Expert to me.
    I would highly agree with everything you said.
    You have to Camouflage yourself in the environment just like it is Daytime.

8. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    Wildcat I agree. Except I have called in foxes last year standing in the wide open. If I see eyes I simply start lip squeeking. Like you stated once you have eye shine and keep it the light is your camo. Had a fox at 15 feet last year standing in a wide open field.

9. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    Great advise. Hopefully my light will be here before friday. I have a a spot light that i use for frog gigging and was lucky enough to find a red filter that fit it. I ended up buying a wicked light (the new ones that can be zoomed in and out) with three colors. What do you all use as far as lights go?

10. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    I have a surplus of goose loads right now. Are they legal to use on coyotes?

11. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    While legal it's a poor choice if you're talking about steel shot. Instead get you some copper plated lead BB size shot.

12. mikeyj

mikeyj Spike

Mar 4, 2009
    Adair Co.
    Cityslicker, I had a guy tell me the other day that he uses BB size steel shot with great success. I've never shot a coyote with a shotgun so I have no experience with either. Would you care to elaborate a little more?

13. Killroy

Killroy 8 pointer

Apr 18, 2007
    in a hospital
    Killed a few with duck loads while duck hunting. They work great in close. After 25 yards or so they are no good. Still kill them if they are facing you and you have a full head shot. I bought some heavi shot #4 buck defense loads that worked great two days ago. They were 4$ for a box of five.

14. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    Steel shot won't carry energy as well as lead. Why people used to waterfowl hunt with lead 4's and 6's now use 2-3's.

Personally I shoot #4 buck for my night time coyote load. Now if I could just get one in range.

15. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    It will kill them no doubt, you're just limited to short range shots. I rolled one at a ranged 50 yards with 3" copper plated lead BB. I'd go with that or 4 buck.