Anyone notice How Dry It Is?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by davers, Jan 20, 2021.

1. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    In my part of the State (Central) we not had any rain or snow since Christmas. In years past I've noticed when its this dry early in the year, we usually end up with a Hot & Dry Summer. Not good for farm crops, acorns, hickory, or anything else.

2. baknblack

baknblack 10 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Henry County
    My area of Henry County has gotten a small amount of precip but, we're running way below normal as well.

3. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    We've also in central KY (just South of Frankfort) and have had rain/snow here darned near constantly. Our yard is a mud pit from the dogs... Heck, we still have snow on the ground in shady places.

Carl and Meatstick like this.
  4. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds

https://www.drought.gov/

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  5. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    We have had really wet winters the last couple of years. We need a dry one. I wish that it would get cold enough to freeze the ground about 3 to 4 inches deep

xbokilla likes this.
  6. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Damswamp around here

00noturkey, RLWEBB, barney and 2 others like this.
  7. BigBenny

BigBenny Spike

Jan 14, 2021
    Lex
    Plenty of rain/snow/sleet in Lexington at night, the days have been pretty nice lately

8. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Very Dry here in Pulaski/Rockcastle county. Usually have to fight the Mud feeding Damcows, but dry now and no problem right now. It will rain soon I suppose.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And, WE think WE got it bad in the mud.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    FOWLER2671, RLWEBB, barney and 2 others like this.
  9. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    We are moist in Burkesville. Rain tonight. I HATE MUD!!!!!

00noturkey likes this.
  10. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Muddy winters is about all we have anymore. An inch or three of snow every once in a while that melts off in a day. Pretty muddy at my place in Lexington at the moment.

11. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    It's still like a swamp around our deer camp.

12. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    WOW!! Guess this current dry spell must be "localized". Went walking in my woods yesterday and noticed it was very dry. Reading this thread of mine, glad to hear it's normal in most areas of the state.

13. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    We’ve had rain or snow at least once a week for the last several weeks in Edmonton. I’m like @Gforcetrivers, I hate mud. Thankful my house is at the very top of a hill and water drains away 360° around it.

Gforcetrivers likes this.
  14. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    We had 12" of snow on Christmas eve/Christmas, we've gotten rain a couple times and snow 3 more times since. It's a muddy mess. Had to stop trapping one farm as they don't want the ranger in there when it's wet/soft.

15. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    Deck and driveway indicated that we had a decent rain last night, but I have yet to check reports. No puddling could I see anywhere throughout the property nor elsewhere, but runoff may have quickly occurred. My lovely bluebirds and multitudes of perennials should appreciate it.

I did spy some of my lovely bluebirds flying here and there before all yesterday, when a Transmission Right of Way Coordinator contracted by Kentucky Utilities presented himself, along with the mouthy Asplundh Tree Service employee having arrived the previous week. I pointed my pretty bluebirds out to both of them, while elaborating upon how an old and rare for these parts evergreen tree protects their annual nestlings from western sun during the peak of summer.

I further educated both regarding how trees are considered assets and how valuations are determined via caliper/DBH, being that neither presented themselves as possessing knowledge of such but possibly did. Offer was made to plant yet another type of tree as replacement for the one alleged to be growing within ROW. I stated that I may be willing to consider multiple dogwoods as shade trees and food for my lovely bluebirds, but that at this point in time I considered the two mens' behavior as additional harrassment and might be inclined to contact KDFWR and the Commonwealth Attorney. They departed soon after I agreed to contact them for further discussion at a later time.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021