Anyone know? March 20-28th

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by gobblergetter, Jan 20, 2010.

1. gobblergetter

gobblergetter 8 pointer

Apr 21, 2008
    boonville, Indiana
    Does anyone know where I can hunt turkeys on these dates? I have that week off and I'm wanting to get an early start on the season.

2. WKYHNTR

WKYHNTR 8 pointer

Oct 17, 2004
    Muhlenberg
    Florida I know, maybe look at Alabama's season I'm not sure when it comes in.

3. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

Mar.20-28

Most states south of TN. will be open. FL. fo' sho'. Georgia,usually opens on Mar. 20. AL., Miss. usually around Mar. 15th. TX. also has some "Special Hunts" that will be open then.

4. huntr467

huntr467 12 pointer

Here is a place in FL. There are some good birds and good numbers too if your willing o walk a bit...it's 53000 acres. Draw backs are lots of snakes and bugs. good luck
    http://www.fws.gov/lowersuwannee/

5. limbhanger2

limbhanger2 Fawn

May 29, 2005
    Alabama
    Alabama's season opens March 15 every year. But we don't have very many turkeys! So I wouldn't waste my time.

6. gobblergetter

gobblergetter 8 pointer

Apr 21, 2008
    boonville, Indiana
    Are you serious or joking?:D I have no idea myself but a buddy of mine back in college used to go to Alabama every year and said there were tons of birds.

Personally since I'm going to travel anyways, I'm goin to hunt either osceolas in Fla or Rios in Okl or Texas since I get easterns here. March 20th is the opening day in Fla but I'm not sure on Tx. and Okl yet.

7. Tom Threetoes

Tom Threetoes 10 pointer

Oct 4, 2002
    southern Indiana.
    Georgia's season opens around that time, but tags are a little pricey after you pay for WMA permits.

8. limbhanger2

limbhanger2 Fawn

May 29, 2005
    Alabama
    Yes, I was kidding. What we lack in deer hunting we make up for in turkeys. Although turkey numbers are down in most areas right now due to poor hatches the past few years, the hunting here is still good. The only problem is pressure. If you hunt public land in AL, you will be hunted with a crowd. And although we do have high turkey numbers, you won't hear as much gobbling as you do in the Midwest. Our turkeys have learned its best to be quiet with a 50 day season and 5 bird limit. Matter of fact, i hunted 5 days in KY last year (public land) and heard twice as much gobbling than I did here on private land in 25 days hunting! BTW, pretty sure OK opens 4/6 and TX sometime around the first of April. I've been contemplating trying public land in FL, but all I ever here about it is nightmares. Thinking about KS this year myself.

9. gobblergetter

gobblergetter 8 pointer

Apr 21, 2008
    boonville, Indiana
    the south zone in texas runs March 20-May 2. I've been checking harvest numbers for Fla. WMA's and they are at best 1 bird per 12 days of hunting. Doesn't sound good to me. The numbers must be way down. They pretty well say if your gonna have a good chance, you need to book a hunt or get drawn on a quota hunt. Neither of which I will have done by this Spring :( Not real sure what I'm gonna do.

10. Bama-Slammer08

Bama-Slammer08 Spike

Aug 20, 2008
    Boaz, Alabama
    it opens up down here in alabama on march15 and runs thru end of april.....