Anyone know anything about ICOtec calls?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by quackrstackr, Nov 28, 2012.

1. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    I need to do some coyote thinning on the properties that I hunt. I've only ever been out 2 or 3 times with friends and other calls over the years... all were unsuccessful.... so to say I don't know anything about it is an understatement.

Rather than go whole hog with a Foxpro right out of the gate, I figured I would start off with a less expensive call and stumbled across this one. I don't imagine that I will ever go full bore on predator hunting because I just don't have enough places to hit, but it would be nice to go out a few times per year and try to do my part. They seem to be relatively new to the market but I haven't found a single bad review online for them.

http://www.icotec.com/products/electronic-game-callers/gc-300-electronic-game-caller/

This one only has 12 sounds loaded on it. Out of those sounds, what would a typical calling sequence be?

2. kydirtdog44

kydirtdog44 6 pointer

Dec 23, 2011
    PENDLETON CO
    call looks good they only way to find out is try it

3. Fur Feather

Fur Feather 6 pointer

Dec 27, 2002
    Lexington, KY, USA.
    That looks like a fine alternative to a FoxPro. U have me interested now.

4. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    If I were you I'd just get a hand call or diaphragm call for about $10. But if you were to get serious I'd get a Foxpro no doubt.

5. 30-30

30-30 8 pointer

Aug 26, 2011
    yea, me too, i sure dont have a few hundred too dump on a caller for coyotes, esp before christmas

6. Ech Hunter

Ech Hunter 6 pointer

Sep 15, 2009
    Boyle Ky
    save your money do as cityslicker said buy one or two hand calls and put some fur down.

7. scsims

scsims 10 pointer

I usaully just use my hand calls anymore if I'm just making a few sets. If I'm out hunting for the day I'll bring along the electronic caller to give me a break here and there.

8. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    I mostly use hand calls but do own a Minaska Bandit which I use occasionally. In your situation, I would just get a couple of hand calls and forget the ecaller. Although that Icotec caller does look interesting. Those Wildlife Technologies sounds are supposed to be some of the best. And that is a good price.

There is a guy testing one of them on another site. When he gets his report done I'll let you know.

9. quackrstackr

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    For the price, I went ahead and picked one up on Amazon this morning. They're even cheaper there. If I don't like it, there's always ebay. lol

I ordered one of the Primos Stray Cat decoys as well. Best new thing since sliced bread according to the varmint hunting forums and reviews that I could find online. It was pricey for a decoy... guess I can ebay that too if it doesn't work. That, or I'll mount a pair of black wings on the end of it and shoot crows off of it. :D

10. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    What if you saw a cat ran over on the road and you skinned it out. Would it be possible to order some kind of form to stretch the hide over to make it sorta look like the real thing. Might make a pretty good decoy. Then you could maybe start a side business and sell them to other coyote hunters.

11. 30-30

30-30 8 pointer

Aug 26, 2011
    hmmm selling stuff to coyote hunters, id wear a giant chicken suit if i thought i would kill more coyotes

12. 30-30

30-30 8 pointer

Aug 26, 2011
    well we aint heard about anything bitin the dust, hows the call? please give review
    thanks

13. quackrstackr

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    I haven't had a chance to take it hunting yet but just playing around the house, it tears my dog up something fierce. It's definitely a no fluff call but it has plenty of volume.

14. 30-30

30-30 8 pointer

Aug 26, 2011
    pretty good for the money then,

15. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Quack..... sounds like your good to go.

Just looking at the list of calls on the link.... to me it's got a decent selection.

The cottontail , fawn, pup distress, howl & whats listed as female coyote( figure it's a female challenge) are sounds that probably will be your most productive for yotes... at least they have for me.

I usually go into a spot & set everything up(call & decoy if using one at the time) ....usually give a few minutes to let everthing calm down...then start the calls. I start off fairly low volume pending conditions / wind...to a point if I hear it..I know a yote can. Then ..and its a personal choice.. but I will run the sound for a couple minutes ...then pause for spell.

If nothing responds...then I'll slowly increase the volume on the next series.... and continue to do this until I'm pretty content to leave this set-up for another. Toward the end of the set..is where I might mix anther sound but overall on prey distress... I dont really use a sequence of sounds unless I'm getting a response of howls & barks. Then I mix howls, challenges & pup distress.

Again the start-stop...pausing for a few minutes is just a preference for yotes....with a lot of guys will just run the sound continously. So...theres no real right or wrong way...and honestly with me I tend to coyote hunt like I was turkey hunting...with the mindset on calling...that less is sometimes the best approach.

But...if I'm really trying to focus on bobcat....I may let the sound run continously...since everything I've read & been told bobcats are a critter that more than likey may stop several times responding. Accordingly....they can loose their "curiosity" along the way if the sounds stops. So...a lot of the approach depends on the critter your focusing on.

Also... dont think I'm alone on opinion... but I think its real easy too get too much volume..especially on the front end of your set-up. Which starting a set being fairly loud can blow the yotes out of an area instead of enticing a response. But again...it a lot of just finding what works.

We just need to go after'em.... really like to check out your decoy.