Anyone know about nikon cameras?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by stevenvalleyagain, Dec 6, 2015.

1. stevenvalleyagain

stevenvalleyagain 10 pointer

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    My wife is a picture taking nut. She does have a great eye for a terrific picture and takes sunrise and sunset pics on the way to and from work almost every day. She even gets her pics on the local news every week or 2 and shoots them all with the camera on her galaxy s5. She has thought about doing it professionally on the side for years. Maybe start with weddings and such.
    Anyone know is nikon makes a professional quality camera that doesnt cost a ton of money? I have an aunt that is the vice president of nikons microscope division and she can get deep discounts on nikon cameras. Anyone with experience woth good nikon cameras?

2. KY Helim

KY Helim 6 pointer

Jun 13, 2014
    Go look at the d5200. I've had one for a couple years now and it takes great quality pics

3. chris149

chris149 12 pointer

Jun 17, 2009
    KY
    I have the D5100 it does great I think for the price. But like most things you get what you pay for.

4. RVtech24

RVtech24 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2007
    The Deep Woods
    [video=youtube;pOuPYv0oVTY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOuPYv0oVTY[/video]

I have had a bunch of Nikon cameras, DX and FX models. FX is more expensive but takes a lot better pics. I have a D610 and love it. Stay away from the cheaper lenses. I get most of my glass from Amazon or Nikon. Hope this helps a bit and enjoy the addiction.

5. Bill765

Bill765 Fawn

Dec 4, 2015
    US
    I once tried Nikon D4S, it was great as for me! The picture is very clear.

6. stevenvalleyagain

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    Well, here we are 13 months after I started this thread. Wife finally got her camera this morning. She chose a Nikon D5300. Found it with 2 nikon lenses 18x55 and 70x300for about $700. That was the cheapest I have seen that model anywhere. Anything she needs to watch for?

8&sand likes this.
  7. Rut-n-Strut

Rut-n-Strut 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Owen County
    I'm watching this thread. My wife wants a camera as well. She's a beginner with the passion, but not necessarily the knowledge yet. Wants to shoot family pictures and potentially as a side job. Seems to be similar to your wife in that regard. For that reason, I'm curious with how others respond to your question.

8. stevenvalleyagain

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    My wife hasnt gotten all the features figured out yet but loves it so far. She probably took 100 pics last night. She has a friend that does it professionally that has the same camera. Most people doing it with money in mind use a full sized DSLR from Nikon or Cannon. Right now, best buy has a bundle for $699. It includes the camera and both of the previously mentioned lenses. Looks like buying them separately would be $1100-1200. We waited for almost a year for the one she wanted to go on sale somewhere.

9. Rut-n-Strut

Rut-n-Strut 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Owen County
    Thanks stevenvalleyagain. I just went to Best Buy and we came away more confused. I will certainly look into that camera. I think it's between the Nikon D3400, D5300, or D5500.

10. stevenvalleyagain

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    The 5500 is just a newer model than the 5300. However, several of the reviews say the older 5300 was a little better. Dont know anything about the 3400 although I assume its a little cheaper. Something to consider as well rut-n-strut is that even if you dont buy a camera there, Murphys camera offers classes on how to use all the DSLRs that they sell. Not sure of the price and thats if you live near a murphys. Otherwise, Youtube can probably show her how to do anything.
    So far my wife is really enjoying her camera. She is hoping to start offering paid shoots by the end of summer. She has a rather large portfolio of great pics already but needs to buy props before offering outdoor family photos and lighting for indoor. Hopefully in a couple years she can quit her insurance job amd take photos full time. Added a pic the wife took with her phone while she drove home from work. Too bad all the light poles showed up or it would have been state fair worthy.

Attached Files:

11. Rut-n-Strut

Rut-n-Strut 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Owen County
    I apologize for the extremely long delay. We had sicknesses run through the family and I simply put the camera on the backburner. We went to Best Buy several times and then decided on the Nikon 5300. They had a sale for $599. I tried to tell my wife that Costco had the same deal but she would get an SD card and a case for $599. She was so excited that she wouldn't listen. We got in the car and she said "Why didn't you tell me about that!" haha. Long story short, we bought it from Costco and got it today. Thanks for your help!

12. stevenvalleyagain

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    Let us know how she likes it after she gets a chance to use it. Im about to start a new thread with some new pics my wife got at sunset on the ohio river 2 days ago. I believe she will really like that camera alot.

13. Rut-n-Strut

Rut-n-Strut 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Owen County
    Sounds good. I'll let you know. She is a complete novice, but she just finished one class today at Best Buy. She said she learned a lot. I'm sure it won't be long before she's taking some good picture. I look forward to seeing yours!