Anyone having any luck calling yotes??

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by JDMiller, Dec 29, 2018.

1. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Don’t feel like the Lone Ranger.... I’ve yet to call the first one up this winter either.

Which to use as a disclaimer....I’ve not hunted a whole heck of a lot this month. Was down over week fighting a cold & respitory junk .... then all the freakin rain. Did make a run to the farm around the 21st and on my last set nearly at dusk....I switched to running a series of long howls and got reasonably close response....figured maybe 200+ yds above the powerline strip I was on.

Which the yote howled and barked several times.. so I run a few more howls on the caller....then switched over to pup distress. I’ve done that with some luck at LBL ...... but got nothing this time at the farm. I literally sit tight till it was dark... never heard or seen anything remotely making me think the yote was around.

Guess he might of winded me....maybe not and just didn’t like what he heard. But no doubt my crappy luck is still continuing.

2. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    It's been a very tough yr, I haven't been out as much a I usually do but out fairly regular. I'm in LBL this week with our group from Finsandfur at our annual coyote get together, it's been rough! Great weather for hunting but not seeing a whole lot of coyotes or sign.

3. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Found this guy this morning, poor fella had a migraine. IMG_20190209_141942_146.jpg

JDMiller, Feedman and OLE RASPY like this.
  4. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 8 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Ky
    I’d say so. Lol.
    Good job.

5. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    A friend of mine came out to my farm this morning right after daylight. Got 2 one about 8 then a second one around 11. I told him kill em all

6. HappyHunter

HappyHunter 8 pointer

Sep 11, 2003
    Louisville
    CF03FEAD-85E8-4C27-A459-EFE31D8BDFB9.jpeg Lip squeaked this one in while goose hunting last weekend

riverboss likes this.
  7. Panther45

Panther45 6 pointer

Sep 25, 2013
    Over run with them up here in central Ohio. Had 1 across the road from the house chasing some does through the field saturday morning. Had 3 more behind my barn a few minutes later. Turned on some female coyote sounds and they come running. Wind shifted and I slung a couple .223s at them but wiffed. Been seeing them almost every afternoon close to town.

8. Drahts

Drahts 10 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    This is the time for calling, they are starting to breed!

9. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    Still no luck. With more rain coming I'm about ready to call it a year and pack everything up. I haven't had as much time to hunt this season with the house and everything else. Been my worst year as far as coyotes go. I know my callers work, took a couple different people with me a few times so that's not the problem.

10. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    My buddy came over to farm yesterday morning about 8. Went back and hunted. Used 2 different callers at same time. Rabbit and Pup. Killed 2 more. That's 4 on my place in just over a week.

11. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Called in 2 sat morning, swirling wind screwed me, couldn't get a shot and they got down wind and just disappeared. Sent the dog out to try and see if he could get them to come in but no go.
    Hunted sun from 4am till noon and got on a group at 8am. Had them slipping threw the woods for a hour but could only get glimpses of them darting threw openings.first night hunting I had tried this yr, the coyotes were not were I thought they would be though.