Anyone get out this morning??

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Suthrn2k8, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Suthrn2k8

Suthrn2k8 6 pointer

Oct 16, 2008
    Shelby Co. Ky.
    Just wondered if anyone here got a chance to hunt this am. Any successes or chasing this am? Hopin the rut gets going a bit better by this weekend.

2. kyblackmallard

kyblackmallard 10 pointer

Sep 18, 2006
    Sat from 5:45am central time to 9:13 two does at 8:55 first one winded me.The wind picked up at 8:30 and was blowing about 20mph when they got 15 yards down wind.Looked at four scrapes after I got down.Found two new scrapes for a total of six.All had been made or worked in the past 24 hours.I believe that moon madness they had last week is over and it will be good with these cool temps and dark nights.

3. str8 shot

str8 shot 12 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    berea kantuckie
    i woulda been after a slickhead this mornin if i knew i didnt have to work...woulda been and good mornin for a while before the wind got up

4. Blood River

Blood River 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2006
    West Bank of Ky. Lake
    One doe at 6:15 this morning. Sat until 10:00. Heard some close shooting that sounded like they were a very pour shot, or they were unloading on a herd. So ended up calling fish and wildlife.

5. The scout'n man

The scout'n man 8 pointer

Aug 7, 2008
    Pattyville, KY
    Yea was plann'n on go'n but been sick to my stomach for the past two days with food poisoning. wanted to see how I was going to do today. Was going to head out about 9 or 10 see what the mid day activity held. But the wind is gusting 20-30 MPH figure it aint going to do me much good now!

6. I have a question???? What county you in??? Bucks been chasing does statewide and being killed for 3 weeks. The Rut is as good as it's gonna get. Probably be on the downslide very soon.

7. Budnapp

Budnapp 6 pointer

Jun 14, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    Was in my stand @ 6:00 am. Saw nothing but a big ole owl. Climbed down around 9:45. Found 2 fresh scrapes that had been worked reciently. They are never where they are supposed to be.

8. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    I havent gotten out but I ve gotten reports of the chasing is starting\continuing. I hunt a piece of ground in Jefferson and havent seen any activity(chasing) since oct 2. My buddy has been every day of gun and has seen only normal bed to feed activity every day( some days more than others). but yesterday he started seeing some monsters following does. Farmer called to report same thing. At least six different instances throughout the farm of chasing activity. Get out there. He had clear shots at several deer some would have made book, but he killed a marginal buck early in a case of bad judgement. been killing does since then.

9. Suthrn2k8

Suthrn2k8 6 pointer

Oct 16, 2008
    Shelby Co. Ky.
    Sat in the stand all day long Sat Sun Tues then again Sat and Sun in Mercer Co... Saw young bucks none nose to the ground and one really nice buck again not chasing... Trust me its not because of lack of not putting in the time. I just have yet to see any chasing.

10. I understand that. That does not mean it's not happening. Opening morning, Hot doe with goodone behing her. Missed opportunity/ Sore spot but it happens. Every buck except one I have seen since acted normal. Last deer I saw on a doe was a spike sunday morning. Just have to be in the right place at the right time. And right doe.

11. slimshad

slimshad 8 pointer

Oct 29, 2008
    USA
    Friend shot a 140 class 8 pointer with his nose upa does ars. I also saw a buck following a doe in the middle of the day yesterday, they were going across an open field. Hope to get back in the woods this weekend.

12. Suthrn2k8

Suthrn2k8 6 pointer

Oct 16, 2008
    Shelby Co. Ky.
    Yeah i hear ya 12. Maybe im just not seeing the right does lol. Was also thinking that maybe the lack of chase could be due to a lot of does being in estrus right now. Maybe they just arent having to look for them very hard. :confused:

13. O'Brien

O'Brien 8 pointer

Oct 28, 2008
    Boone County
    Yeah agree with 12. I'm hoping (positive thinker) that the big boys will be up on their feet more right now looking for any straggler does not bred yet. I saw a ton of chasing on opening day and a little on that Sun a.m. and then it was like the switch went into breeding/lock down. Did see 2 small bucks chasing a mature doe this past Sun around 10:30 a.m. but that has been all the chasing I'd seen all week and I sat 3 days 12 hours. If you can I would take a good chunk of does out of the herd. I think I mentioned that I did that on my farm last year, to you a week or so ago and it made all the difference in the world for us on actually seeing real rutting activity, seeking, chasing and breeding this season. Sure makes for an awesome experience in the woods. We've seen a number of bucks with their racks broken and tore up this year as well so that means there is a lot more fighting going on as well this year. I'm reading guys finding freshened scrapes/new scrapes that sounds like the bucks are cruisin again looking for the stragglers. Can't wait to get back out this weekend!

14. sixxfan26

sixxfan26 10 pointer

Oct 4, 2004
    Butler, Kentucky, USA.
    I'm huntin in Pendleton County and I would almost swear to you that the rut still hasn't gotten kicked off up my way. Didn't even find the 1st rubs until the 1st week of November. Found scrapes on 11/9. Haven't seen even one buck chasing a doe up to this point. I was off work all last week and hunted every day since opening day of gun season, some days ALL DAY. Others I only took a short break and got back at it. Saw plenty of does (so did my hunting partner.) Only saw a couple bucks. All of the deer we have seen have been in their normal early fall habits basically. Seems weird to me.

15. hooknshoot

hooknshoot 6 pointer

May 31, 2008
    webster,co
    Yep I was there kinda nipply this morning saw 1 6 pointer but not a shooter I think the rut is on for sure.