Anyone Fly fish for

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Duster, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Bluegill when they are on the beds ? Just got out the old flyrod and reel and put new line on it. Got some strike detectors in balsa and foam in the mail yesterday. Will use my ice fishing jigs with a Uncle Josh fly strip pork bait and drop it on their heads from several yards away as to not spook them off the beds. Got some fly strips in Red & White and solid White ready to go. Almost time to load up on them bluegill.

Capttrae and Dark Cloud like this.
  2. bearleft

bearleft 6 pointer

Mar 16, 2014
    La Grange KY
    upload_2019-4-28_19-59-30.jpeg I've always used these and tore them up!!

xbokilla likes this.
  3. EastKYHardwoodHunter

EastKYHardwoodHunter 6 pointer

Mar 4, 2018
    Beattyville
    Yea buddy. I like those too. Fished a big farm pond today, 35+acres...lake to some people but pond to me...caught 30 or so nice crappie and a few nice gills but they aren’t close to coming up and nesting yet. Be a week or so I think.

4. 308

308 6 pointer

Sep 9, 2009
    Western KY
    Poppers work great on all pan fish.

5. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Use to run a popper and a sinking Jim Bug trailer. Got your hands full on a flyrod when you hook two at a time and one try's to go one way while the other goes the other. I like the sinking bug with the pork rind strip to get down fast to the ones that will nest in a bit deeper water.
    Knowing how to use a Flyrod is fast becoming a lost art. I recall my first one my dad bought me. It was made of steel and heavy as heck, but it worked and was near unbreakable. One year with that I got a new fiberglass one for Christmas.

6. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    I just tie up a fly with a transparent bobber to one of my old Zebcos. I don't need all that "flippin' " and "flappin' " afforded with a fly rod.

Rod S. likes this.
  7. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

If you ever learn how to cast a fly rod you will never go back to a Zebco...:D Not much can outdo a Bull Bluegill on a 9/10 foot light fly rod.

8. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Haven’t in a while but used to quite a bit. I also love to fish for them with just the long telescoping/jigging rods.

9. Fly rod is about all I fish with these days. This time of year you can catch a ton of bluegills on flies in the river behind my house. I learned fly fishing late in life and wish I had taken it up much sooner. It takes you to some beautiful places. So far, I have fished the Elk River, the Cheat River and the Greenbriar in WV, The Little River, and the Pidgeon River in TN, the Cumberland River, Lickin River and Laurel/Big Caney Creeks in KY as well as the man-made Hatchery Creek in KY. Plus the Madison and the Gallatin in Montana, and the Rocky Mtn National Park in Colorado. It is a good excuse to load up and go on a trip. Teach your kids and grand kids how to do it. I taught my son and he says it is relaxing even when the fish ain't bitin. Yes, it is harder and you may not catch as many fish but when you do it is rewarding.

10. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I started when I was 10 years old, that was 62 years ago. As I told another member here I have had a few years practice...LOL. Just ordered a new automatic reel and floating line to go with a extra rod I already have to try and get the youngest grandson into fly fishing. He is supposed to come over later and try mine out in a local pond, hope it don't result in a trip to the ER to get a hook out of his ear...:eek::D If he takes to it I will upgrade the fiberglass rod I have extra to a graphite one like mine.

11. It does pay to wear eye protection when fly fishing. Especially when learning it is easy to hit yourself with the fly when still developing your technique. One bad experience will turn off a lot of folks.

12. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Not much risk of an "eye slapper" with a Zebco, fly and transparent bobber. LOL

13. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

But not near as much fun....LOL. Hook a 5 lb largemouth on a 8 1/2 foot fly rod when it sucks in your popping bug and you got your hands full. I have hooked 20 + pound Chinook salmon on my flyrod and landed them. Lived within a stones throw of one of Indiana's prime trout/salmon streams, Salt Creek.

xbokilla likes this.